• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    My first 2 vehicles were trucks. A 1990 F150, and a 1999 Dodge Ram Sport.

I traded the Dodge for my Jeep in 2005.

Since then, whenever I needed to haul something, I just used my trailer.

There are times when I miss having a truck. And I am really loving the 4-door half tons....

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I could not function with out a truck. I use mine just about every week hauling (pulling an enclosed trailer) my blades to gun & knife shows. Also, I use my truck for when I go hunting, I can't see using any other type of vehicle for that. Strapping a deer on the roof or hood or stuffing it in the trunk is not a option. :): Finally, I live in the country on a single dead end lane which the county never plows when we have snow, between the road and my 100 yard up hill drive way, I wouldn't be able to go any where without the truck (4x4). :twocents:

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If it wasnt for pickups, we wouldnt have tailgates......

You could set my truck on fire, roll it down a hill and I still wouldnt trade it for a coupe deville......

I got an 8 ft bed that never has to be made....

P Cup Man! :dunno:

Hey! There's a pun thread going right now:D

For me, having a truck is not necessary. Like an iPhone, Dish Network w/DVR, and central air conditioning, it's not necessary to live, but it certainly makes life a little more enjoyable.

williamsjr22

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    I just sold my truck a month ago. It's the first time since I got my license that I haven't had one. So it's been about 20 years. I've already had to borrow my dad's twice this month. Man I miss that truck

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I couldn't live without a truck on the farm. I do NOT farm.
    I fish, hunt, and enjoy the not-so-beaten paths of life.
    I drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 for every day use but my 4x4 long bed Dodge is part of the family and my life.
    I can haul what I want and even IF someone asks to help move something I'm always more than happy to help out my friends.
    Yea, better yank the man card on that one.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I've always had a truck until this year. Being a single Dad and commuting an hour and a half round trip each day it didn't make sense anymore. 4 months now, and I really haven't ran into a situation where I desperately needed a truck. I'm an outdoorsman, so packing rods and such will be a pain this spring and summer, and this fall during deer season it will be different. But, I have lots of friends and family with trucks who'll let me use theirs if need be. Do I miss having a truck? YES! Do I need a truck sometimes? YES! Does a truck make fiscal sense for me right now? No. I will however be looking for an old beater truck on the cheap soon, though. I just miss having one!:(

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    People have different lifestyles. I rarely need one to haul or tow anything. So I can't justify the expenses of a full size truck.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I miss my truck but I didnt need it, my dad has a truck I can use, my mustang could tow my jetski in a pinch and then if I need to get some furniture I could ahve it delivered for about the same price as tank of gas in my old F-150. Someday I will get another, but not right now I drive way too much to pay that in fuel.

My guess is well over 3/4 of truck owners dont actually NEED a truck. But thats whats great, you dont have to buy what you need, you buy what you want.

wxchick.h3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Southern IN

How important is it to have a truck?

VERY IMPORTANT! I grew up around trucks and they are awesome! You can haul stuff in them and even pull a trailer if you need to. I also feel safer in a truck because you are sitting higher, and looking above all the cars on the road. When I ride with my friends that have cars, I get so scared. If we were to get into an accident there would be a lower probability of surviving or walking away without injuries compared to a being in an SUV.

But how important is it for everyday use?

Now that depends on your lifestyle.
    My family and I have several different sized trucks and depending on the activity we are doing that day we take a different truck! Like if we are going offroading we will take the truck that is set up for offroading. Or if I go to school or shopping I take the smallest truck possible because people do not know how to park and the parking spaces are so small! One day I took my h3 (the smallest SUV my family and I own) to school and when I came out there was a smart car parked next to it. I couldn't stop laughing, that car was soooo small! lol. Another thing, it is so funny when I pull up to a stop sign and there is either a smart car, or prius that stopped at the same time. They get so scared and let me go first!! My dad always said, "The bigger vehicle always has the right of way"!! :D

Lastly, the only drawback to owning a truck are the fuel costs, but if you consider the pros and cons of owning a truck, that is all that matters!! Even if you are a very safe driver you must watch out for all the other vehicles on the road. Therefore, if you own a truck you have a higher probability of living and walking away without a scratch if you are involved in an accident. Ultimately, owning a truck could save your life!! :)

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Awesome for hauling or towing. Not having to pay a delivery fee (but having to figure out how to get what ever you just got loaded on off the truck now).
    I don't have 4 wheel drive on mine, I have never had 4wd and not sure it would of helped any time I may of needed it.
    Tail gate makes a good temp. work bench.

Downsides: if you haul your new appliance home you get to unload it. People will ask to borrow it and ask you for help to load or unload it.
    Gas prices possibly could make it expensive (mine gets maybe around 11 mpg)

I love my truck, love it even more now that I don't drive it every day but it is very nice having the option.

That's what's nice about my pallet forks on my tractor.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    It's imperative to feeling manly, not to mention trucks for some reason make you want to listen to country music, like it or not. Regarding the manly part, it helps if the truck "sounds" manly.

Kidding aside, I don't know that'll I'll ever get another car. I can seat the same amount of people as I can in a car and I can move, haul, 4WD just about anything I need. It's so much more useful!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    It's imperative to feeling manly, not to mention trucks for some reason make you want to listen to country music, like it or not. Regarding the manly part, it helps if the truck "sounds" manly.

Kidding aside, I don't know that'll I'll ever get another car. I can seat the same amount of people as I can in a car and I can move, haul, 4WD just about anything I need. It's so much more useful!

I'll drive a Prius before I listen to country.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    That's what's nice about my pallet forks on my tractor.

Forks won't unload a load of gravel or sand.

I've also seen the fork extensions bend and twist and drop loads to the ground. That was not a fun thing to explain to management.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I don't have to haul stuff much, but I got a trailer hitch for one car, and a 3000lb tilt trailer used, about $600 total. I've put trailer hitches on a couple more cars since. One of them was a Sedan DeVille, so take that! Yeah, me haulin a load of lumber with my sweet Caddy, rockin some death metal. I can haul anything I need to on the rare occasions I need to, without having to have a vehicle just for the purpose. Practical? Cheap? It works, so whatever.

Top Bottom