How do i carry while swimming? I had a scare!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    :+1: This ^

Say you did have your gun on you (false bottom of cooler, water-proof bag, etc...) what would you have then done? )

I'm thinking that shooting out their tires would have been my option had a gun been at hand and holding them until the authorities arrived. Doing this could however have the consequence of escalated into a shootout. You need to be prepared and have adequate cover.

Stuff is just not worth it (getting into a gun fight/killing someone over your stuff).

That's the reaction folks with sticky fingers count on, and why they continue to abstain from working for a living......perhaps I am a bit too brazen, but I'll be damned if someone is going to walk away with things I have worked hard for if I have a reasonable opportunity to stop it. <if the opportunity does not exist, as in his case, then I think he did the reasonable thing>

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    RACIST!-- how do you know they were Mexican! Just because someone speaks Spanish doesn't mean they're Mexican! They could have been Argentine!

Glad it ended well for you & your family. I carry a small 9x18 in a pistol rug in our beach bag when taking the fam to Lake Michigan.

Interesting how some of you guys pack in your trunks when actually swimming! Excuse me, is that an AMT Hardballer Longslide in your Speedo's or are you just happy to see me :-)

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    I've got a camel back that stays pretty close when I am outdoors, wether it be a beach, woods, or so on... I usually keep something small on me like an LCP or P238, but something with more punch is always close by. My usual rig is a G19 in the hydration pocket of my camel back with a Vanguard strung to an anchor point in the bag. If I need to, just unzip and pull..

The Malabar Front

VanGuard1.JPG

popup_image.php

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Interesting how some of you guys pack in your trunks when actually swimming! Excuse me, is that an AMT Hardballer Longslide in your Speedo's or are you just happy to see me :-)

Seriously, how do you guys avoid printing? I have enough trouble trying to keep my own personal gun from printing! Especially right when you get out of the water and the trunks stick to you.

OP, tough situation, but given the circumstances there isn't much else you could have done. Armchair comments aside, you looked after your family and THEN did what you thought you needed to. +1 in my mind.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I don't hide in my house when it gets dark. I also don't believe I'm just stumbling along in life either, but if you're spending your LIFE looking over your shoulder because the boogie-man MIGHT be there you're going to miss out on a lot of that LIFE you think your living.

This is stinkin thinkin. We do not get to choose when we have to defend ourselves. I do look over my shoulder, in the mirrored glass, peek out the window before going out, sit with my back to a wall, eyes on exits and just the general nature of whats going on vrs what should be goin on. The places that don't alow carry by law I avoid as much as possible. The places the don't alow carry by rules I avoid but I will carry untill told to leave. I really don't feel I missing out on life but then I have expereinced enough it now I am pretty content (and want to keep it that way).

But he wasn't &, huh, it turned out OK anyway. Go figure. Sometimes bad things happen & there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop it. I think that's the reality that SOME people have a hard time dealing with.

Just because he wasn't doesn't mean it couldn't, huh. I think the reality is that SOME people just turn their heads, bury it in the ground and HOPE for the best. There are so many things we do not have control of why would you freely give up the things you can control.

I think that attitudes like these are why we get branded as paranoid gun nuts.

Thats an opinion but I don't feel branded as a parnoid gun nut from my non-gun carrying freinds just gun owners like you.

No, I'm not missing any lesson at all. I know that we must be as prepared as possible to deal with a situation that might arise. Let me emphasize the word POSSIBLE. Sometimes things are going to happen & you won't be prepared. That's life.

Even if someone does carry 24/7/365 it is not positive that a situation WON'T happen that will still cause them harm.

Besides, the REALITY of life is that we CAN'T carry 24/7/365 (unless of course you avoid places that you would like to go but don't out of fear because you can't carry there). I don't know about you but I don't sleep with my gun on me. I don't ALWAYS have my cell phone, or wear my seat belt, or have a spare tire, either. As hard as you try to be prepared sometimes the uncertainty of life just gets in the way.

I assume you drive, don't you? That is the most dangerous thing most people will ever do. You have no control over what someone else might do that could cost you your life but you take that risk anyway because of the benefit you get from the freedom transportation affords you.

I drive with risk but not unprepared. I use seat belt, practice defensive driving, obey the traffic laws, and watch out for the idiots. 100% safe? No, but I gave my self the best chance to come home safely by being prepared.

It's all a matter of degree. We choose to carry. Some more than others. Others don't carry at all. Even if you can & do carry 24/7/365 are you really doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to make sure nothing bad happens? Do you wear body armor 24/7/365?

There is no way to be 100% safe - even if you carry 24/7/365.

No you can't be 100% safe because there are things just out of your control but you can be 100% on guard. Any chance is better than just saying there's nothing I can do lets hope for the best. Even if I know its comming there is no guarantee it won't go bad but my chances are better.

You seem to be content with going unarmed and thats fine but calling people parnoid because they choose not too lacks any tact or class.

As far as swimming I use a ruger lcp in a zippered pocket.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    First thing I would do is get a good lock for the spare tire. My wife is getting her LTCH so we can avoid a situation like this, gun in bag one of us swims at a time.

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    German Shorthair Pointers? :rolleyes:
    Really!!?
    German Shorthair Pointers?
    HAAAHAhahahahahaha! :D :D :D

They might lick those Mexicans to death.
    Or drool on their shoes.

You definitely need a gun with those bad boys. :ar15:

:laugh::laugh: You are exactly right!!! But for people who don't know how the dogs are....then a 60lb dark headed dog giving a stare down can be intimidating! I had a buddy of mine come over late one night to go catfishing. I forgot my bait so my fiance brought it down to me. As i was walking up to the car with the lantern, my dog started growling and barking and it clearly made me uneasy and very hesitant about walking up to the car. I do believe if someone was to try to hurt a member of my family, that my dogs would try to protect.....but they are great with the kids and wil lick a person to death:D

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    When I first read the title I thought it was a joke. After reading it though I understood exactly what you were getting at. The only thing I could think of would be a trigger lock and get a swimsuit that has a zipper pocket to put the key in????

Glad that your family is ok, maybe karma will kick in and the mexicans will get mauled by a mountain lion.

That there is funny!!! I don't care who you are:laugh::laugh::laugh:

GSPBirdDog

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Henryville
    :+1: This ^

Say you did have your gun on you (false bottom of cooler, water-proof bag, etc...) what would you have then done? Based on your post at no time were you in immediate danger for your life to justify deadly force. They were in fact just stealing your stuff and while that does make us all "hot and mad" remember it's just stuff. It's insured and even if it is not you can always buy it again. Stuff is just not worth it (getting into a gun fight/killing someone over your stuff).

You are exactly right and i would not kill someone just because they stole from me....But what if they gained access to my truck while i was approaching them and used my gun against me??? Should i leave my gun at home locked up for that %1 chance of something happening someday? This definately has me rethinking on how and when i carry my firearm!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I would defiantly have a weapon on me at night at the lake. Anytime you are in a secluded or unpopulated area there is a chance you will run into some sort of predator. I fear that if they had thought you to be an easy target that you and your wife would of been in trouble. Your aggressive approach deterred them from doing who knows what to you and your family. Kids and guns is a whole issue in itself. I have 3 girls from teens to 6 years old. I have educated them as to the dangers of firearms and when older how to safely handle them. There is a book by Massad Ayoob called Gun Proof your Children. A must read for any parents who own guns. Just because you keep yours locked up doesn't mean your child will not come across one ever. Most likely when adults are not around. Talking with your kids about guns and safety will help them to respect guns if they come in contact with one in your absence.

I completely disagree that being prepared for trouble makes you paranoid. If I had a crystal ball and knew when I would need my gun, then I would just avoid the situation altogether. I think he got really lucky that night. You would be completely justified in stopping them from talking your property by showing your gun. That doesn't mean he was going to just open fire on them for trying to steal his spare. I carry as much as I can so I don't have to hope that the group of thugs that are threatening me and my family are going to leave and not beat me up and rape my wife.

Bottom line. Teach your kids and carry your gun. Just my:twocents:.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    Not to thread jack but:

Does anyone know if the new LCR in 357 mag is stainless steel? I've been thinking about one for the shower/swimming.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I'm glad nothing happened to you or your family. I agree with some others that the firearm wasn't needed....yet! But if someone cuts me off and doesn't allow me to my property/vehicle then I'm taking that as a threat. I say take the first guy out and get whatever you need from your vehicle.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    For those who don't think it's necessary to ensure your family's safety 100% of the time, you must not value the safety of your family as much as I do.

Those of you who are saying things like "Oh, it turned out fine" and "99% of the time you're OK without your firearm" I would say you are looking at this the wrong way. What if these guys had intended to harm his family instead of simply taking "things". At the time he didn't KNOW they weren't going to harm his family and yet he was unable to reach his firearm in that scenario.

This is an unacceptable operational status for me. I don't care if they are "Just stealing", I have the right to (and I will be prepared to) defend myself and my family against threats against us. And yes, THIS time the BG's didn't harm his family but can the same be said for the guys in this story here in Indianapolis, LAST NIGHT?~!Same ATM robbed twice in eight hours - 13 WTHR . Yeah maybe this guy thought the two men approaching were going to "Just take some cash" .... turns out that's not all.

Investigators say the victim withdrew $20 dollars from the ATM when two men approached him and shot him in the rear. They took the money and then forced him to withdraw another $40. Then, they stole his car.

This guy got SHOT AFTER COMPLYING WITH THE ROBBERS COMMANDS OVER 60 ******* DOLLARS...

Instead of asking "What would you have done if you did have a gun in your cooler" ( BTW...I would have gotten out my gun and cell phone, called the police and ordered my family to take cover behind me while I made sure they did not advance on us while giving a description of the robbers along with the license plate of their vehicle to the police) you should be asking yourself how can I make sure I am doing everything I can to reduce the risk of myself or my family falling victim to violent crime.

Sometimes I wonder how many people with guns are actually just sheep who "feel safer" knowing they OWN a handgun and never plan on using it.

patton487

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    First thing I would do is get a good lock for the spare tire. My wife is getting her LTCH so we can avoid a situation like this, gun in bag one of us swims at a time.

^^^This

Seems simple enough if you have 2 adults. Just takes a little planning.

Top Bottom