How do i carry while swimming? I had a scare!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    You need proper beach attire...

seanconnery.jpg

Hey...where'd you find that picture of me? I thought I burned all the copies. Darned internet!

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    What am I missing out on?

I don't know. That's up to each person to decide.

Do you have kids? If you do then will you never go to a school program because you can't carry?

Ok I misunderstood but the suggestion was still there. This what you said "I think that attitudes like these are why we get branded as paranoid gun nuts." So you branded us a paranoid gun nuts.

My opinion is that if someone who [STRIKE]lives [/STRIKE][STRIKE]in fear[/STRIKE] is so concerned about an attack that they HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 they would be considered a little on the paranoid side by most people, some gun owners included.

What times are you referring too schools, court houses, or airports?
    Swimming alone at night on a deserted beach is not one of those times you just can't.

Unless that deserted beach is in a state that doesn't allow carry there or honor our LTCH. You have every right not to go there but if you would otherwise want to go there except that you can't carry then that is what you might be missing out on

Now I all ready rebuked your driving comparison.
    "I drive with risk but not unprepared. I use seat belt, practice defensive driving, obey the traffic laws, and watch out for the idiots. 100% safe? No, but I gave my self the best chance to come home safely by being prepared. "

You may take precautions but you are never going to be 100% safe no matter what unless you just don't drive. That was my point.

Again poor example because we can take precautions to make swimming safer.

SAFER, yes. Absolutely safe, see above.

Fire Extinguishers?

People die in fires all the time. I'm sure SOME f them had fire extinguishers, too.

Maybe not reasonably but you are painting a picture.:dunno:

:dunno:

I don't live in constant fear of death because I carry 24/7/365.

THen why do you HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 if you are not in fear of AT LEAST SBI (which includes death)? Do you just like the way your gun feels hanging on your belt? :dunno:

indoorsoccerfrea

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    THen why do you HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 if you are not in fear of AT LEAST SBI (which includes death)? Do you just like the way your gun feels hanging on your belt?
    dunno.gif

Are you in constant fear of getting in a car accident? No? Why do you have car insurance then...oh wait, for JUST IN CASE situations.

I carry whenever and wherever I can legally do so. Why? Am I also in a constant fear of being hurt or killed? No. I carry because I take responsibility for myself and my family. I don't want the 1% to happen when I decided to be lazy and not carry. So I carry all the time, JUST IN CASE. I am not the least bit afraid, if I was, I would never leave my home.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Glad things worked out and no one was hurt. Some situations just happen, and there is nothing you can do about it. I carry every day, except at school. It stays locked up in my car. So what would I do if I was walking to my car? I really do not know. I know a knife is only good for close range, but I always make sure I have one. All you can do is live, and learn. Defend yourself the best you can with what you have. Hopefully karma comes back to them, and they get what they deserve.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I choose not to read most of this thread...... but maybe a pocket pistol in a zip lock bag?

Personally I would not keep one person out of the water at all times just so there there could be a gun on dry land.... id go the pocket pistol in a zip lock bag route before that.

If your not worries about the water runing the ammo then don't worry about it getting wet and clean it good when you get home........ you might try it out at a range or something though before you trust your life with it....

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I don't hide in my house when it gets dark. I also don't believe I'm just stumbling along in life either, but if you're spending your LIFE looking over your shoulder because the boogie-man MIGHT be there you're going to miss out on a lot of that LIFE you think your living.

But he wasn't &, huh, it turned out OK anyway. Go figure. Sometimes bad things happen & there's absolutely nothing we can do to stop it. I think that's the reality that SOME people have a hard time dealing with.

I think that attitudes like these are why we get branded as paranoid gun nuts.

No, I'm not missing any lesson at all. I know that we must be as prepared as possible to deal with a situation that might arise. Let me emphasize the word POSSIBLE. Sometimes things are going to happen & you won't be prepared. That's life.

Even if someone does carry 24/7/365 it is not positive that a situation WON'T happen that will still cause them harm.

Besides, the REALITY of life is that we CAN'T carry 24/7/365 (unless of course you avoid places that you would like to go but don't out of fear because you can't carry there). I don't know about you but I don't sleep with my gun on me. I don't ALWAYS have my cell phone, or wear my seat belt, or have a spare tire, either. As hard as you try to be prepared sometimes the uncertainty of life just gets in the way.

I assume you drive, don't you? That is the most dangerous thing most people will ever do. You have no control over what someone else might do that could cost you your life but you take that risk anyway because of the benefit you get from the freedom transportation affords you.

It's all a matter of degree. We choose to carry. Some more than others. Others don't carry at all. Even if you can & do carry 24/7/365 are you really doing EVERYTHING POSSIBLE to make sure nothing bad happens? Do you wear body armor 24/7/365?

There is no way to be 100% safe - even if you carry 24/7/365.

So because I carry a gun 99.9% of the time I'm paranoid? Guess in the Constitution they should have said. If you choose to act on this right, you may be paranoid. Guess keeping a loaded gun by my bedside makes me paranoid. Because it would be better for me to fumble around to access my gun, and load it. You are right some situations are out of your control, or can not be avoided. That's life. However there is a difference between being paranoid, and being prepared. I mean if you are going on a long trip. Do you check your fluids, tire preassure, and get gas? I do, so does that also make me paranoid?

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Should i leave my gun at home locked up for that %1 chance of something happening someday? This definately has me rethinking on how and when i carry my firearm!

That is a decision everyone has to make for themselves but I do ask that you ponder this question: Are you willing to take out the batteries of your smoke alarms at any particular time because the odds of actually having a fire are quite low (say to save money on batteries or because it's just plain inconvenient to get more until next week)? If your answer is like most, it would be hell no.

However, did you realize that there are only about 14 victims of fire per 100,000 in any given year.

The reason I point this out is that you are approximately 30 times more likely to be a victim of violent crime in any given year. For me, if I am not going to carry the gun, then I may as well take my time getting new batteries for the smoke alarm too. I mean, what are the odds right? <Food for thought>

wag1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 25, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I'm thinking that if you take the actions described in your post abve you would be opening yourself up for some pretty serious criminal charges.

I'm thinking you didn't thoroughly read my post. My solution did not involve deadly use of force. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...while_swimming_i_had_a_scare.html#post1119341

I think you may be inferring something from my statement? perhaps I am a bit too brazen, but I'll be damned if someone is going to walk away with things I have worked hard for if I have a reasonable opportunity to stop it. <if the opportunity does not exist, as in his case, then I think he did the reasonable thing>

Nowhere did I mention my intention to use deadly force. Plenty of other ways to 'skin the cat' in cases where my life, and the lives of my family members, are not being threatened.

Vasili

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Indiana
    Don't swim? :dunno:

If you have to live your life in so much fear that you feel you have to be armed 100% of the time then you really aren't living.

Really, there are times when you just can't carry. 99% of the time you'll be just fine. The other 1% of the time all you can do is hope for the best. Sadly, you just had your 1% moment but, happily, it turned out fine anyway.

I don't think you get the concept of self-defense, friend.

Yes you can be armed 24/7, and it's not paranoid to do so.

There should be no such thing as a 1% unless you're an outlaw in a motorcycle, you get my drift?

Kudos to original poster for asking for some advice, this is something that I hadn't thought about either, as nothing like that has entered into my scenarios, so I'm sure plenty of other people appreciate the brainstorm, even if you don't, friend.

I think the cooler suggestion has merit, but I also wonder if they make waterproof swimtrunks?

Either way, good luck to you, and I'm glad this didn't turn out like The Stranger did.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I don't know. That's up to each person to decide.

Do you have kids? If you do then will you never go to a school program because you can't carry?

Yes I have children and I do go to their school programs. I make my own personal choice and will live by those consequenses, no regrets.

My opinion is that if someone who [strike]lives [/strike][strike]in fear[/strike] is so concerned about an attack that they HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 they would be considered a little on the paranoid side by most people, some gun owners included.

Unless that deserted beach is in a state that doesn't allow carry there or honor our LTCH. You have every right not to go there but if you would otherwise want to go there except that you can't carry then that is what you might be missing out on
    IN life there will all ways be exceptions even though this secenario was not the case described inthe OP. You keep reaching for an example so you can justify your lack of judgement. Stick to the particulars of the OP

You may take precautions but you are never going to be 100% safe no matter what unless you just don't drive. That was my point.

That was my point the part about taking precautions

THen why do you HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 if you are not in fear of AT LEAST SBI (which includes death)? Do you just like the way your gun feels hanging on your belt? :dunno:

Look I am not going to debate the same points over and over with you. I understand your point about not being 100% safe all the time. You make your own choice when you feel things are just out of your control. No sense in trying defend yourself or your family wouldn't do you any good anyway because there is no 100% being safe.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    That is a decision everyone has to make for themselves but I do ask that you ponder this question: Are you willing to take out the batteries of your smoke alarms at any particular time because the odds of actually having a fire are quite low (say to save money on batteries or because it's just plain inconvenient to get more until next week)? If your answer is like most, it would be hell no.

However, did you realize that there are only about 14 victims of fire per 100,000 in any given year.

The reason I point this out is that you are approximately 30 times more likely to be a victim of violent crime in any given year. For me, if I am not going to carry the gun, then I may as well take my time getting new batteries for the smoke alarm too. I mean, what are the odds right? <Food for thought>

I'm thinking you didn't thoroughly read my post. My solution did not involve deadly use of force. https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...while_swimming_i_had_a_scare.html#post1119341

I think you may be inferring something from my statement? perhaps I am a bit too brazen, but I'll be damned if someone is going to walk away with things I have worked hard for if I have a reasonable opportunity to stop it. <if the opportunity does not exist, as in his case, then I think he did the reasonable thing>

Nowhere did I mention my intention to use deadly force. Plenty of other ways to 'skin the cat' in cases where my life, and the lives of my family members, are not being threatened.

All excellent points and a great link to that video, I've seen it before but it was funny to me that the revolver would barely shoot and the sig flat out would not fire underwater.

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Wag1911.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    My opinion is that if someone who [STRIKE]lives [/STRIKE][STRIKE]in fear[/STRIKE] is so concerned about an attack that they HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 they would be considered a little on the paranoid side by most people, some gun owners included.

I don't think I live in fear, nor do I classify myself as "paranoid", but personally I'd rather have it and not need it than the alternative.
    It's not like I hyperventilate if I'm in a situation where I can't carry (such as the previously mentioned school function), but I'd sure like to be given the choice. There might be some 24/7/365 carriers who fit the "paranoid" bill, but I'm sure there are far more of them who don't. :twocents:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Are you in constant fear of getting in a car accident? No? Why do you have car insurance then...oh wait, for JUST IN CASE situations.

For one car, insurance is required by law at all times. Also it's easier to keep it all the time than to cancel & reinstate it periodically. Besides I'm not arguing against prudent precautions just irrational ones.

I carry because I take responsibility for myself and my family. I don't want the 1% to happen when I decided to be lazy and not carry.

I'm not discussing the times that someone is just being lazy. I'm talking about the times when it's not possible or highly inconvenient to do so.

So because I carry a gun 99.9% of the time I'm paranoid?

No. You could be paranoid for NEEDING to carry 100% of the time even those times when it may not be possible & you forego a pleasure that you may otherwise reasonably safely want to do for fear of SOMETHING REMOTELY POSSIBLY happening.

Guess in the Constitution they should have said. If you choose to act on this right, you may be paranoid.

This has nothing to do with the Constitution. That's what I think they call a "straw man".

Though, I'll bet even the Founders didn't feel the need to carry 24/7/365 either.

Guess keeping a loaded gun by my bedside makes me paranoid.

Nope. That's prudent. It would be paranoid to sleep with it on you or with it under your pillow with your hand on it so can be armed 24/7/365.

I mean if you are going on a long trip. Do you check your fluids, tire preassure, and get gas? I do, so does that also make me paranoid?

Nope. That's prudent. It would be paranoid to do so EVERY SINGLE TIME you went anywhere at all even if you just checked it 15 minutes ago because something MIGHT have happened to cause something to change (similar to the 24/7/365 concept).

I don't think you get the concept of self-defense, friend.

:rolleyes:

Yes you can be armed 24/7, and it's not paranoid to do so.

It is if you forego doing things you would otherwise like to do if you couldn't be armed.

There should be no such thing as a 1% unless you're an outlaw in a motorcycle, you get my drift?

Umm...no. :dunno:

Yes I have children and I do go to their school programs. I make my own personal choice and will live by those consequenses, no regrets.

Good. That's exactly what I'm saying. You weren't armed (I hope) & you enjoyed the program in spite of the fact that you couldn't be armed 24/7/365 just like any number of other scenarios when you couldn't reasonably be armed 24/7/365. That's all I'm saying.

IN life there will all ways be exceptions even though this secenario was not the case described inthe OP. You keep reaching for an example so you can justify your lack of judgement.
    Stick to the particulars of the OP

I'm not reaching at all. The argument is against the 24/7/365 concept.

I gave my answer to the OP in my first post.

I guess your judgment is also flawed since you seem to consistently break you 24/7/365 rule when it is inconvenient to not follow it.

24/7/365 is an ABSOLUTE. Don't claim an absolute rule then complain when someone points out that it's irrational. If you don't REALLY mean 24/7/365 then just say so & the discussion then turns on the degree of reasonability in a given situation.

In my opinion I wouldn't be comfortable swimming with a gun on me. And you would have to accept the judgemental looks from others if you do.

No sense in trying defend yourself or your family wouldn't do you any good anyway because there is no 100% being safe.

There's a wide gap between 0% & 100%. I'm not saying 0% like you're implying (otherwise I wouldn't carry at all). I'm just saying 100% isn't reasonable.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner

Good. That's exactly what I'm saying. You weren't armed (I hope) & you enjoyed the program in spite of the fact that you couldn't be armed 24/7/365 just like any number of other scenarios when you couldn't reasonably be armed 24/7/365. That's all I'm saying.

I guess perception is everything. I totally took "I make my own personal choice and will live by those consequences" another way...

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    what I'm seeing is that the OP could have gotten into a very nasty situation when he confronted these hispanics that were stealing his stuff. 5 on one is enough IMO to justify using DF if they all attack you even just with their fists, let alone if they pull knives or guns. too many times in indy, a guy gets shot going out his front door to yell at the thugs stealing his car.

since he had his wife and children with him, the issue immediately becomes more than jsut protecting his vehicle from being vandalized. if those thugs were so inclined, he and his family could have been killed, and this is what is bringing this concern to us. I would have been pretty nervous too, and I think the people who gave him helpful tips about carrying in water did a good job.

my only question (it might have been answered somewhere between all the off-topic bullcrap) is: What about saltwater? afik, no-one has been able to keep a gun from corroding and seizing in saltwater... obviously a ziploc baggie would be an idea, but those tend to leak... :dunno:

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    For one car, insurance is required by law at all times. Also it's easier to keep it all the time than to cancel & reinstate it periodically. Besides I'm not arguing against prudent precautions just irrational ones.

I'm not discussing the times that someone is just being lazy. I'm talking about the times when it's not possible or highly inconvenient to do so.

That is never a problem. :D

No. You could be paranoid for NEEDING to carry 100% of the time even those times when it may not be possible & you forego a pleasure that you may otherwise reasonably safely want to do for fear of SOMETHING REMOTELY POSSIBLY happening.

Never had to forego any pleasures, wife lets me carry in bed. :D

This has nothing to do with the Constitution. That's what I think they call a "straw man".

Though, I'll bet even the Founders didn't feel the need to carry 24/7/365 either.

You should quit thinking so deeply, if anybody has used a straw man arguement it is you and you have no idea how the founders feel, you bet? that's your arguement? You use driving as an example then dismiss insurance because its required. If insurance was required by law would you still buy it?

Nope. That's prudent. It would be paranoid to sleep with it on you or with it under your pillow with your hand on it so can be armed 24/7/365.

If you take everything to the extreme then yes maybe a little paranoid. I sleep with my gun with in reach. I know exactly where it is. I do not have my hand on it waiting to shoot that just stupid.

Nope. That's prudent. It would be paranoid to do so EVERY SINGLE TIME you went anywhere at all even if you just checked it 15 minutes ago because something MIGHT have happened to cause something to change (similar to the 24/7/365 concept).

:rolleyes:

It is if you forego doing things you would otherwise like to do if you couldn't be armed.

Not the case for me at all.

After all of my post and your opinion of me being paranoid, really (you hope). That's all I am saying.:D

I'm not reaching at all. The argument is against the 24/7/365 concept.

I gave my answer to the OP in my first post.

I guess your judgment is also flawed since you seem to consistently break you 24/7/365 rule when it is inconvenient to not follow it.

You make an awful lot of assumptions. Be carefull of this, assuming will get you in bigger trouble then going unarmed.

24/7/365 is an ABSOLUTE. Don't claim an absolute rule then complain when someone points out that it's irrational. If you don't REALLY mean 24/7/365 then just say so & the discussion then turns on the degree of reasonability in a given situation.

I never claimed an absolute rule those are your words. My only problem with your point is that you say I can not be 100% prepared. That may be the case for you but to assume that it is for me and others sounds a lot like bah bah bah or whatever sound sheep make. I can and will be armed 24/7/365, I agree it's not for everyone it's an aquired mindset that comes from years of expereince and training.

In my opinion I wouldn't be comfortable swimming with a gun on me. And you would have to accept the judgemental looks from others if you do.

By now you should have guessed I do not care about that. In my opinion I wouldn't be comfortable swimming without my gun.

There's a wide gap between 0% & 100%. I'm not saying 0% like you're implying (otherwise I wouldn't carry at all). I'm just saying 100% isn't reasonable.
    Just a difference of opinion, I say if you are not willing to carry it all the time then whats the point of carry at all. Does somebody call you up and say hey you will need your gun today?

It isn't reasonable to you because you are worried about the judgmental looks from others or maybe its just inconvienent. Leave the what is allowed by law out of it for now. You still beleive there are times when it is ok to go unarmed.

I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. I know I can not be 100% safe all the time. I know I can not be 100% prepared for every situtation. This is why I carry. I have to make sure I put my family in the best situtation I can, I can't afford to to make assumptions, get lazy, or let my guard down. There is just too many factors beyound our control the way it is. I will not give up the the things I can control.

I guess perception is everything. I totally took "I make my own personal choice and will live by those consequences" another way...

There even the monkey gets it. Reps to you!!

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    I try to carry 24/7/365. I have carried places you are not suppose to carry, I just carry concealed. If I was a criminal I would operate in these areas more than somewhere carrying a gun is allowed. I have carried in service on Sunday morning. If you were going to do a mass shooting wouldn't a church be an easy target? I have read of this happening, so why take the risk. Unless there are police present to follow me around, I will do what I can to keep myself and my family. If thats paranoid the add me to the list. Probably the only place I have not carried is places you have to go through metal detectors to get in. I still don't like that though. Bad guys don't play by the rules.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    In my [STRIKE]opinion[/STRIKE] guesstimation I wouldn't be comfortable swimming with a gun on me.

Fixed it for you, since you haven't tried.
    And you would have to accept the judgemental looks from others if you do.

What looks? Unless you swim in a speedo, who is going to know?

A Keltec p32 or it's rip off cousin the ruger LCP are tiny and fit easily in the zippered pocket of any pair of swim trunks. I guess if you're one of those people who are 300 pounds and try and fit into a large pair of trunks, it'd be noticeable, but in that case you've got other issues anyway and most people will be averting their eyes anyway :):

You can guess all you want or you can take the educated opinions of several INGO'ers who carry this way and try it for yourself. Nothign uncomfortable about it.

As to the underwater shooting video, interesting stuff but I'm not planning on discharging my weapon underwater if I can help it, lol.

Top Bottom