How do i carry while swimming? I had a scare!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    buy a gun that fires these crazy russian needle rounds.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-P578pnctU]YouTube - APS underwater assault rifle and SPP-1 (Russia)[/ame]

vxtip

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    West of somewhere
    get shoulder carrier, i keep my handgun in a case i made for my netbook, fits a full size 1911 just fine and looks completely innocent. you might look goofy in water with something like that but, better to have it and not need it. or keep a pocket pistol, even just a .380 in your swimming truncks in a zipper pocket, might have to tighten your trunks real good but still

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    If you take everything to the extreme then yes maybe a little paranoid.

BINGO! We have a winner!

you have no idea how the founders feel

founding-fathers.jpg

GW1782.jpg

Thomas_Jefferson.PNG

Here are few examples to backup my opinion. Not a firearm in sight. Obviously they didn't think they had to carry every second of every day (IOW 24/7/365)

I think we need to agree to disagree on this one. I know I can not be 100% safe all the time. I know I can not be 100% prepared for every situtation. This is why I carry. I have to make sure I put my family in the best situtation I can,

I can agree with all of this.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    ... i disagree look closely at the George Washington picture...either he's packin' the meat or that's a 357 python down the front of his pants. Even his horse looks embarrassed.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    1. Swimming near or after dark is probably not a great idea unless it's a pool with lights or other similarly enclosed and controlled scenario.
    2. A little situational awareness goes a long way, especially when the family is exposed near and after dark.
    To address the gun and swimming issue, I think there is no better firearm for use in and around water than Glocks. Some others might be fine too, but Glocks are a known quantity here. I'd go with a Glock 17 or 19, but if you need smaller, a G26 will do too.

The water isn't going to hurt the gun any at all, but you'll want to rinse it and relube afterward if it gets wet. Also, if your ammunition gets wet, I'd reload my mags (after they are dry) with fresh carry ammo and use what got dunked for practice.

A holster should probably have active retention of some kind. I think the Safariland ALS series is an excellent choice, but getting the leather on the inside wet won't be, so it would work better for boating than for swimming. If you don't want to use a holster, a Wilderness Safepacker would work really well (it's a small bag you wear on your belt). Yeah, I'd wear a belt. A nylon rigger's belt will tolerate the water okay. If it's a pool with Chlorine, make sure you rinse everything afterward with fresh water.

A nylon belt pack would work too. You could carry your wallet in a zip top back if you have a separate compartment too.

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    The pic of george washington shows he has a pistol on the saddle near the saddle horn ,also carrying a sword on person.I am glad that everything turned out for the better in the altercation .I'm not sure about how to address the carry while swimming but it seems to already been discussed.Situational awareness should always be practiced though ,even recreational activities should have a thought out planned that should apply to any threat & discussed with family.My youngest son survived a knife attack earlier this year & he told me that if it wasnt for me always telling him to be careful & be aware ,he wouldnt have been as calm & diffused the situation as quickly as he did.They caught the cretins that robbed his store & the perp that attacked him is now serving 30 yrs.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    finity;1122686 My opinion is that if someone who [STRIKE said:
    lives [/STRIKE][STRIKE]in fear[/STRIKE] is so concerned about an attack that they HAVE TO carry 24/7/365 they would be considered a little on the paranoid side by most people, some gun owners included.

Personally, I don't put much though regarding whether or not to carry on what other people think. I carry when I think I should, which is whenever I can legally do so. I dont' try to figure out what the threat level is before I carry, I just carry. I'm not paranoid, but simply think I'd like to have all the tools available to me in the unfortunate case that I should have to defend my family. The majority of folks that are victims of crime did not wake up that day thinking the day would end the way it did.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    With the ever growing threat of home invasion, car jacking and robbery on the rise even more , I don't think it's being paranoid to CC carry 24/7/365. I have one within reach at all times and besides since I'm responsible for it's use or mis-use at all times I need to have it under my constant control at all times. BTW I do not OC but I have nothing against it.

10mm, when you care enough to send the very best.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    I guess I've just got a few loose screws left. I'd found a pipe, big stick, something that I could of used as a "walking stick" and asked what the **** was up. and then they would have nicely returned everything.

Lionhound

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2010
    GSPBirdDog,

Glad it turne dout ok . Have you considered a sufficiently large ziploc bag? Depending on the size of the gun, it can work. I know a properly concerned and motivated Pointer can be a threatening presence, especially in twos or threes.

Top Bottom