• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    That is not necessarily stating the order of the hits.

You must have missed the part where the surviving hostage stated:

'I run out and I run toward where they are.'

He then saw officers fire twice more at Smith.

He screamed for Andrea. She did not answer.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I'm sure he did the best he could as an average beat cop. It sounds like he defaulted to his training when a pistol was pointed at him, being ex-nypd it was probably spray and pray COM. Unfortunately if the BG had her in a headlock as they say it could likely put her head very close to that same COM area.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Terrible situation, caused by the hostage taker.

If any of you guys ever come upon someone holding me hostage like that, I understand if you take the shot(s) or not, but if you do start shooting and hit me, don't stop shooting until you kill the guy holding me hostage.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Even the military in a war zone have a rules of engagement that does not allow for them to fire until fired upon, correct?

You might want to tell that to the guys flying the Apache gunships who lob 30mm shells at insurgents walking down the road or driving along in a car, or huddling around a campfire.

To the best of my knowledge all they need to know is whether there's a threat or not. They don't need to sit back and wait to be fired upon before eliminating a threat.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    You must have missed the part where the surviving hostage stated:

'I run out and I run toward where they are.'

He then saw officers fire twice more at Smith.

He screamed for Andrea. She did not answer.

How exactly does that equate to the 8th and final round striking the hostage? That quote doesn't actually say that at all.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    We appreciate your opinion on the matter. I am sure it is solidly based on FOF training and experience with life/death e situations such as these.

Yes, as a matter of fact my opinion is based my FOF training courtesy of the US Army & having survived multiple tours in Iraq & Afghanistan "locking horns up close & personal" with the Muj for experience with life/death situations.

Btw, the Muj love to use human shields especially women & children. Doing the Death Blossom in these type of situations won't help.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    According to a surviving hostage & Nassau Police:

"Smith was hit by seven bullets and died at the scene. The eighth struck Andrea Rebello."

Hofstra University hostages: John Kourtessis tells of seeing Andrea Rebello shot dead | Mail Online

You're misreading that statement, I believe. They're just stating that 8 bullets were fired, seven of them hit Smith, and the 8th hit Andrea. That's not according an order, that's accounting for all of the bullets. That is a journalist's report, not the investigator's report.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Yes, as a matter of fact my opinion is based my FOF training courtesy of the US Army & having survived multiple tours in Iraq & Afghanistan "locking horns up close & personal" with the Muj for experience with life/death situations.

Btw, the Muj love to use human shields especially women & children. Doing the Death Blossom in these type of situations won't help.

Well good for you, sadly, we are not soldiers and we do not have ROE like the military. Please tell us your story where you were in a similar situation and how you handled it so we can bask in all your knowledge. I would like to know how fighting the Muj translates to officers dealing with criminals.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    How exactly does that equate to the 8th and final round striking the hostage? That quote doesn't actually say that at all.

Look, the English language isn't that complicated.

The Eighth bullet means just that. Eighth. Not third, not second, not fourth. etc., Eighth.

It is also quite clear from the surviving hostage that the last 2 shots fired at the BG hit the BG & the now deceased hostage.

Gun control means being able to hit your target.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Even the military in a war zone have a rules of engagement that does not allow for them to fire until fired upon, correct?

Interesting.....
    I don't believe that is military doctrine in all situations.

But if I understand this correctly, you advocate letting civilian 'bad guys' shoot at civilian law enforcement officers before the LEO can discharge their weapons?
    Soooo........ a bad guy can draw, point, walk up to say 3 ft of an officer, pointing the weapon at the officers head and pull the trigger before the officer can fire his weapon......? Interesting

Stay safe

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    And you still don't get it. But you are correct about the English language. Pretty simple really. They are stating the eighth bullet (not eighth shot) killed the hostage. I still haven't read where it states the eighth shot taken killed the hostage.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 holes in BG. 1 hole in friendly, that's 8. Can I make it any simpler for you? It may have been the 8th bullet accounted for, but doesn't mean it was the 8th shot.

Let it go. This is all unfortunate, we do not have the facts, and stop blaming the cop until you can get facts to substantiate your reasoning. We were not there, I hope to never be in the situation....

Never mind, some people aren't open to the possibility of being wrong.

BTW-Do you realize this all started because of a BG? A hostage taker? Maybe you could start bashing on them for doing it all wrong, too.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Look, the English language isn't that complicated.

The Eighth bullet means just that. Eighth. Not third, not second, not fourth. etc., Eighth.

It is also quite clear from the surviving hostage that the last 2 shots fired at the BG hit the BG & the now deceased hostage.

Gun control means being able to hit your target.

The quotes you posted don't say what you're claiming they say.

When they say 7 bullets struck the target, and an 8th bullet struck the hostage, that is not the same as saying the FIRST SEVEN bullets fired struck the target, and the 8th AND FINAL bullet fired struck the hostage.

Although that's how you're interpreting it.

And yeah, the English language isn't that complicated. At least for those of us who understand what we read, and don't read more into it than is actually there.

edited: and if you actually served multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, and fought close-up, you'd know that when the bullets start flying sometimes **** happens. :dunno: But I'm not sure I believe your claim.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I was looking for the report that said the hostage taker was standing perfectly still and the hostage was perfectly still....I mean, with the certainty of some here that the officer was reckless, there must be proof somewhere that neither was moving and that the bad guy didn't suddenly jerk the hostage into the line of fire, or something like that.

So....where can I read that?

....and when I see people on INGO start making claims about their military service, I buckle in for the wild ride to come.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The quotes you posted don't say what you're claiming they say.

When they say 7 bullets struck the target, and an 8th bullet struck the hostage, that is not the same as saying the FIRST SEVEN bullets fired struck the target, and the 8th AND FINAL bullet fired struck the hostage.

Although that's how you're interpreting it.

And yeah, the English language isn't that complicated. At least for those of us who understand what we read, and don't read more into it than is actually there.

edited: and if you actually served multiple tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, and fought close-up, you'd know that when the bullets start flying sometimes **** happens. :dunno: But I'm not sure I believe your claim.
    Well......
    I agree 100% with you on this.
    Now I'll go visit the farmer down the road and watch his flying pigs.....
    BTW
    Maybe you shouldn't point out the errors of his posts.
    You're likely to confuse him and since he seems terribly confused already the additional input of logic may be too much for his combat addled brain.
    :dunno:

Top Bottom