• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I hope to never find myself in this situation, regardless of the role. Prayers for all involved.

This officer will be haunted for the rest of his life. Sad all around.

Everyone should be thankful you don't have a job where you're likely to put in this position. I see this like a physician who makes a mistake and a patient dies. Best of intentions sometimes have catastrophic outcomes simply because of the fact it's a catastrophe we find ourselves in.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I hope to never find myself in this situation, regardless of the role. Prayers for all involved.

This officer will be haunted for the rest of his life. Sad all around.

Everyone should be thankful you don't have a job where you're likely to put in this position. I see this like a physician who makes a mistake and a patient dies. Best of intentions sometimes have catastrophic outcomes simply because of the fact it's a catastrophe we find ourselves in.

:+1:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    HERE is the story:

Earlier Saturday, police announced that Smith, 30, had been wanted on a parole violation related to a first-degree robbery conviction and had an arrest history dating back nearly 15 years.

30 years old, with a 15 year history, and he was out on parole.

NY, keeping citizens safe since...when?

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    There's some very confused people who regularly post here. It seems they are even more confused during the wee hours when alcohol is likely involved......

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The officer went home safe, so it's all good!

The cop needs to be fired & charged.......

This was a sad situation for EVERYONE involved. My prayers are sent to both the family of the hostage as well as the Officer because he will live with a heavey burden of grief despite what some here type about LEO's..

For the critics here^^ and others to come. Are you that good that you know if and when you are ever involved in a self defense scenerio where you discharge your firearm that You would NEVER hit a bystander?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The penal system in NY is a mess. You can't expect one officer with a gun to undo the mess the folks in Albany created. And with the passage of the SAFE Act, it only gets worse.

What an unfortunate state, ruled by petty, irresponsible dictators.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    No kidding, was he supposed to wait and see if the guy squeezed the trigger first?

The main issue is what does the community want from their LEOs? This incident, combined with the incident in CA where the cops kicked in the door on a call of possible domestic violence incident, mixed in with active shooter incidents....what do we want of LEOs? The problem with this question is that just like with political beliefs, the population will differ on how they want LEOs to respond. Most of the country wants the cops to "do something," then there are disagreements on how they do the something.

In this case, I don't know if the two women who were able to leave were in any way able to give enough details about what was happening (ie: Drunk college students, too scared to even compose themselves to give info). I don't know how the house was set-up, and if the officer's escape route as blocked (I read something about the male hostage falling and causing a door to slam shut with it also being locked). So again, what do we ask of our cops? Do we ask them to take bullets and die if there is a hostage between a possible shooter and them? What would the criticisms have been had this guy shot the cops with his only two bullets in the gun, then was able to get the cops gun and decided to kill the other hostages before killing himself? What would the media have said had the cops not made entry, and while waiting for negotiator and SWAT, the male hostage was killed and the two remaining females were raped?

In the end, the officer made his choice to enter. Even had the guy killed all three hostages, looking back now it would have been better for the officer to have just stayed put and called for SWAT. Not better for the other two who may have been killed though.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    "...who pointed a gun at the officer....."

My bad.

I guess you would have waited.

My crystal ball broke, and I am unable to visually go to the situation.
    Maybe I can borrow yours.

AS I wrote before & I'll keep writing it again:

There are good people & bad people in every profession.

It's amazing what some people will write to justify the reckless actions of
    this cop.

It's also very sad & "troubling" to read the comments of some LEO's here trying to justify the reckless actions of this particular cop.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

this cop.

It's also very sad & "troubling" to read the comments of some LEO's here trying to justify the reckless actions of this particular cop.

Meezer, respectfully I disagree with your term "reckless". I feel that is a broad brush in this. There is a big difference in someone "knowing whats wrong and going ahead and doing something" and someone "trying to do the right thing and it turning out wrong" aka Murphy's Law. None of us were there so it's really not fair to say the Officer was reckless because WE DO NOT KNOW. Did the hostage panic and move? Did the bad guy move the hostage? A lot of varibles and critisum by a lot of folks that I'm pretty sure have never delt with similar high stress situations. Bad things happen to good people.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    Meezer, respectfully I disagree with your term "reckless". I feel that is a broad brush in this. There is a big difference in someone "knowing whats wrong and going ahead and doing something" and someone "trying to do the right thing and it turning out wrong" aka Murphy's Law. None of us were there so it's really not fair to say the Officer was reckless because WE DO NOT KNOW. Did the hostage panic and move? Did the bad guy move the hostage? A lot of varibles and critisum by a lot of folks that I'm pretty sure have never delt with similar high stress situations. Bad things happen to good people.

Indy625shooter,

Let's stick to the facts in this case:

The BG points a gun at the cop

The cop immediately opens fire on the BG.

The first 7 rounds hit & kill the BG

The 8th & final round fired by the cop hits the hostage in the head & killing her.

It's absolutely reckless.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan

this cop.

How could you POSSIBLY know enough about the situation to "be troubled" by our lack of willingness to join your lynch mob? He might have acted reckless, he might not have, there is not enough details to make an informed opinion one way or another. I guess I can pull an opinion out of my azz but what's that worth?

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The officer could have done just as much good by leaving. After all, it isn't like he did anything to help the hostage.

And had the officer left and the bad guy murdered the woman, you would still be jumping on the bandwagon of blaming the police for her death. It really is too bad armchair QBs don't get paid as highly as the real thing.

Meezer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2011
    Porter County
    How could you POSSIBLY know enough about the situation to "be troubled" by our lack of willingness to join your lynch mob? He might have acted reckless, he might not have, there is not enough details to make an informed opinion one way or another. I guess I can pull an opinion out of my azz but what's that worth?

It seems from reading your previous posts that if anyone criticizes the actions of 1 cop, you & a few others take it as some kind of attack against all cops.

Again, Let's stick to the facts in this case:

According to the Nassau County Police:

The BG points a gun at the cop

The cop immediately opens fire on the BG.

The first 7 rounds hit & kill the BG

The 8th & final round fired by the cop hits the hostage in the head & killing her.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend

this cop.

You are way out of line calling him reckless. :noway: Try putting yourself in an impossible situation.

Top Bottom