• ...and so much more!
  • jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    ^^^ Boiler Up!

My letter to the advertisers. I'm no wordsmith, but maybe it will help others get going.

I would just like to take a moment and let you know about a recent story and development that has happened at the Bloomington Herald-Times newspaper.

Q&A: H-T reporter on handgun permit database, and background on handgun use and regulations: HeraldTimesOnline.com

The above link is to a story about guns and gun laws here in Indiana. The Herald-Times has also taken it upon themselves to publish a database containing street, city, and zip code location information from everyone in Indiana who has a legal license to carry a handgun. This is not only deplorable, but is a surefire way to help criminals. They can easily see on any street in the state who has a license to carry and who does not. They can then see which homes would be easy targets for crimes, or which homes would be good targets to steal guns when people are not around.

The Herald-Times has, in one fell swoop, violated myself and every other Indiana citizen's privacy (if you aren't in their database, then the criminals know you don't have a license...think about it), aided criminals across the state, and tarnished the name of the advertisers on their site.

I have already stopped my subscription to the paper and their website, but I will also no longer be a patron of your services as long as you are an advertiser with their paper. This is nothing personal to your business, nor any of your employees although this is a very personal matter to myself. Please show your support of Indiana's privacy laws and remove yourself from any future dealings with the Bloomington Herald-Times. Thank you for your time.

Last edited:

mattfoley

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Wayne Co.
    Interesting.... would kinda like to see the stats on my zip..... now, I dont agree with the release, but while the info is out, would like to see the intel.....

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    New NRA Email...going to cause another sh!tstorm for the paper. You can tell the NRA really has their tit in a ringer over this one. I'll be emailing all of the advertisers to let them know where I stand.

Here's the email that I think jd was referring to. I thought I would post it here for those that don't get the letter. At the end it lists names, numbers, emails of those at the HT and their advertisers. I can't help but think that some of our very own INGO members influenced this alert just by the wording....

Indiana: The Herald-Times Online Thinks Gun Owners are Stupid, Paranoid, and Easily Manipulated!

The editors of the Bloomington Herald Times apparently don’t like the feedback they’ve received in response to their online gun database. Writing on December 7, Herald Times Editor Bob Zaltsberg feigns surprise and takes offense at being targeted in similar fashion as they chose to target lawful gun owners. They paint the NRA as irrational and suggest we are erroneously attacking the press while they continue to misrepresent the facts regarding their online gun database, telling gun owners and concerned citizens they don’t have their facts straight while attempting to absolve themselves of any responsibility for the public outrage they alone deserve.

Herald-Times Falsehood #1: The Herald-Times claims its online database doesn’t treat concealed carry permit holders like sex offenders.
    “The NRA said the database treated law-abiding gun owners like sex offenders. That unfair and unfounded characterization set off an angry reaction.” (HTO Editorial, “H-T targeted over gun permit database” December 7, 2009)
    Truth: In fact, the Herald-Times database permits anyone to find out where concealed carry permit holders live in Indiana by searching for the street name, city/town or zip code and helpfully displays the number of permit holders according to their street and town. Sex offenders are often chronicled in databases that are searchable by street name, city/town or zip code.

Since the gun permit holder database was originally placed in the Crimes section of the paper’s website, the intended message to their readers is pretty clear: guns and concealed carry permit holders are dangerous and you need to know where these gun owners live so you can stay safe. Why else would they put the database in the Crimes section of their website?

Herald-Times Falsehood #2: The Herald-Times claims NRA told email recipients that the Herald-Times planned to publish the names and addresses of permit holders.

“A vast majority of [the public] misunderstood, from what the NRA had sent them, that we planned to publish names and addresses, which was never under consideration.” (HTO Editorial, “H-T targeted over gun permit database”, December 7, 2009)

Truth: In fact, we were very clear in our December 1 email alert that the Herald-Times would not be listing the names and addresses of permit holders.

NRA-ILA Alert: “Anyone who visits the newspaper website will be able to search the number of permits on a given street or neighborhood. Although at this point the names and house numbers are not listed, the newspaper’s website treats law-abiding Indiana gun owners like sex offenders on a searchable database.”

Herald-Times Falsehood #3: The Herald-Times claims that posting the number of permit holders on a specific street doesn’t endanger any law-abiding permit holders.

“The information we published did not include any names, any specific addresses, and would have been difficult if not impossible to use to identify any law-abiding permit holder in the state.” (HTO Editorial, “H-T targeted over gun permit database”, December 7, 2009)

Truth: In reality it’s not difficult, let alone “impossible”, for someone to be identified as a permit holder if they are the only house on their private or rural street. Likewise, if there are a small number of homes on a short street in a suburb, small town or rural area, and many or all of those homes have permit holders, the paper has just told anyone who cares to know that there is a firearm in many of the houses in a particular area, providing a virtual “steal-me” list for the enterprising criminal.

The paper has also put non-permit holders at risk by letting would-be criminals know which streets are not occupied by gun permit holders and therefore which homes may be occupied by easy targets.

This is not merely a gun issue. This is an important privacy issue. Lawful citizens exercising Constitutionally-protected, personal lifestyle choices should not be subjected to harassment or intimidation of any kind – by their neighbors, work peers or a newspaper with a political axe to grind. Citizens should also not be subjected to criminal activity by those who would use such information as the Herald-Times has made available for their own illegal purpose.

It is clear by now that the Herald-Times does not care for those opinions that do not mimic their own. They have shown no desire to take down the databaseand they prefer to tell their readers and responders, “we’re not wrong, you are”.

Advertisers of the Herald-Times might be more interested in the opinions of would-be customers, and they deserve to know what their advertising dollars are helping support. So please continue to contact the Herald-Times and their advertisers and urge them to respect your right to privacy.
    Bob Zaltsberg, Editor
    (812) 331-4364
    rzaltsberg@heraldt.com

Cory Bollinger, Herald-Times Advertising Director
    (812) 331-4279

cbollinger@heraldt.com

Kirkwood Photo Lab and Portrait Studio

515 West Kirkwood Ave
    Bloomington, IN 47404
    info@kirkwoodphoto.com
    (812) 332-4888

Andrew Davis Menswear
    1. Covington Plaza
    6410 W. Jefferson Blvd.
    Fort Wayne, IN 46804
    260-436-4788
    chris@andrewdavismenswear.com

2. Kirkwood on the Square Fountain Square Mall
    101 W. Kirkwood , Suite 119
    Bloomington , IN 47403

812-323-7730
    macey@andrewdavismenswear.com

Mohney Homes, Inc.
    2404 Industrial Park Drive
    Bloomington, IN 47401

Phone (812) 332-5920
    Fax (812) 332-2989

IU Credit Union
    PH: 812-855-7823
    Toll Free: 888-855-MYCU
    Email: marketing@iucu.org; memberservice@iucu.org; president@iucu.org

Harley-Davidson of Bloomington
    http://www.indianaharley.com/
    522 West Gourley Pike
    Bloomington, Indiana 47404
    PH: 812-333-8300

IndianaBuyItNow.com
    buyitnow@hoosiertimes.com

French Lick West Baden
    www.visitfrenchlickwestbaden.com/
    8291 W. Beechwood Avenue
    French Lick , Indiana 47432
    Toll free: (877) 422 - 9925

Local: (812) 936 – 3418

Underground Printing

1. Bloomington Location:
    512 E. Kirkwood Ave
    Bloomington , IN 47408
    P: 812.558.0286
    F: 866.645.1686
    ugpbl@undergroundshirts.com

2. West Lafayette Location:
    314 W. State St.
    West Lafayette , IN 47906
    P: 765.588.3851
    F: 866.645.1686
    ugpwl@undergroundshirts.com

Yarns Unlimited
    http://www.yarnsunlimited.com/
    101 W. Kirkwood Avenue, Suite 129
    Bloomington, IN 47404
    (812) 334-2464
    yarnsunlimited@comcast.net

Curry Auto Center
    2906 Buick Cadillac Blvd.
    Bloomington, IN 47401
    (812) 650-0657
    (800) 926-0555

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    5-10 people standing in front of an advertiser's place of business isn't going to do anything. It didn't do anything for the Tea Party Patriots when they protested the media outlets and other businesses when they tried this. Do you really think a car dealership is going to care about 5-10-15-20 people standing outside their place of business when they keep getting business because people don't care?
    So, going after their advertisers is OK now that the NRA says it's OK? LOL. Back around page 4 or 5 it was a useless endeavour.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    A few people protesting outside may not do much good, but taking away business will. I have accounts at the IU Credit Union that I will be closing this weekend because they advertise in the HT. They will be politely informed of the reason they are losing my business and that they can expect many of my friends and coworkers to do the same.

We will not win a philosophical battle with the HT, but we can hurt them and their advertisers in the wallet. If enough of us do that we can win the war.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    So, going after their advertisers is OK now that the NRA says it's OK? LOL. Back around page 4 or 5 it was a useless endeavour.

I never said it would work. I never said that it would change anything. I just passed along the email that was mentioned. I'm not going to waste my time with the advertisers because 1) I don't do business with any of them anyway and 2) Just because a group of gun owners stop doing business with them doesn't mean you're really hurting their bottom line.

I posted that email because not everyone gets the alerts and the language in the email sounded like techres wrote it. :):

Yes, I still think going after the advertisers is a useless endeavour.

lumpy39us

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    They, Indiana State Police, say they have to release the information, freedom of information.
    So I Joe private citizen can go in and request all information on Indiana gun owners, without consideration of my intent. They might be required to provide the information, but it is intended for private use or a specific purpose, not public display. Whoever else needs the information can also request it. The fact that they have been provided a complete database should have raised questions. My thoughts on debunking would be to go in and make a request for the complete data base and see what happens. Bet you don't get it!

draben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Just a thought here, but I'm curious why I haven't heard anyone making the following argument:

In the Heller case, SCOTUS recognized the right to gun ownership as a fundamental right. It is on par with things like freedom of speech, freedom of religion, right to vote, right to privacy, and Equal Protection which includes things like the right to marry a person of any race and the right to procreate outside of marriage. Arguably the right to keep arms is an even stronger right than court-created rights such as abortion, and in some states gay marriage.

Do states require registration or a permitting system for citizens who exercise these rights? Can you image the uproar if citizens were required by a state to obtain a permit before practicing a religion? (True, one must register to vote, but I think that is a procedural necessity, without which the voting process could not happen; people also must obtain marriage licenses, and I'm sure there is some kind of state paperwork for abortions.)

But now imagine that not only must you obtain a permit to practice your religion, but that information could be publicly accessed and placed in a searchable database by an irresponsible news organization (I understand the HT does not make addresses known - but they could because they have legal access to that information). What about a searchable database showing where legally married gay couples live? Or even a searchable database showing where interracial couples live? Can you imagine the uproar that would occur?

The point is that gun rights are on par with every other constitutionally prescribed fundamental right, and should be treated the same. Arguably, the idea of even requiring a permit is unconstitutional. Yet the idea of making right-exercising citizen’s information publicly available is not only novel compared to all other fundamental rights, but it casts gun-owners as problem citizens who should be tracked and identified by non-gun-owning neighbors.

I find it offensive, and I wish the best to those of you working with our state legislature to remedy this problem. :patriot:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Don't forget you also have to have a license to protest in most cities. They only way around that is to sidestep every rule requiring such a license. And yes, you have to pay for that license. You also have to have an FCC license to broadcast your freedom of speech through the airwaves. So we couldn't freely start a radio station or TV station without permission from the FCC.

So who knows. Maybe one day they WILL require you to register to practice religion. :dunno:

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    If I lived on a street that didn't have any Carry Permits, I would be pissed at the BH. Now every Tom, Dick, and Harry thug knows there's a good chance of no one being armed on that street!

They may want to re-think that, however, since only a small percentage of gunowners actually have a carry license.

Anyone have a recent number of Indiana gunowners?

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    So, then does this mean that under IC 5-14-3-3 the newspaper must provide copies of this PUBLIC RECORD for NO CHARGE?

IC 5-14-3-3
    Right to inspect and copy public agency records; electronic data storage; use of information for commercial purposes;Sec. 3. (a) Any person may inspect and copy the public records of any public agency during the regular business hours of the agency, except as provided in section 4 of this chapter. A request for inspection or copying must:
    (1) identify with reasonable particularity the record being requested; and
    (2) be, at the discretion of the agency, in writing on or in a form provided by the agency.
    No request may be denied because the person making the request refuses to state the purpose of the request, unless such condition is required by other applicable statute.

(b) A public agency may not deny or interfere with the exercise of the right stated in subsection (a). The public agency shall either:
    (1) provide the requested copies to the person making the request; or
    (2) allow the person to make copies:
    (A) on the agency's equipment; or
    (B) on the person's own equipment.
    :ar15:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    No

The newspaper is not a public agency. You can demand to inspect and copy the public records that various government offices maintain, but once you copy them, a third party would not have a right to inspect your copies, they would have to get the records the same way you did.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    They, Indiana State Police, say they have to release the information, freedom of information.
    So I Joe private citizen can go in and request all information on Indiana gun owners, without consideration of my intent. They might be required to provide the information, but it is intended for private use or a specific purpose, not public display. Whoever else needs the information can also request it. The fact that they have been provided a complete database should have raised questions. My thoughts on debunking would be to go in and make a request for the complete data base and see what happens. Bet you don't get it!

I recieved my copy 4 days ago, 2 copies on CD. I was not asked anything, other than "What other lists are you ordering today?"

You, Joe private citizen, are allowed oversight on all monies going to and fro, which is why this information is public to begin with. If you want privacy, don't pay fees. Fees are the papertrail.

To make this go away, you need your rights back, no paper trail, like WI or Alaska.

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I recieved my copy 4 days ago, 2 copies on CD. I was not asked anything, other than "What other lists are you ordering today?"

You, Joe private citizen, are allowed oversight on all monies going to and fro, which is why this information is public to begin with. If you want privacy, don't pay fees. Fees are the papertrail.

To make this go away, you need your rights back, no paper trail, like WI or Alaska.

Are there any rules regarding what you can do with that data? Are you free to duplicate, distribute, and publish as you wish?

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    When you say Wisconsin, you mean Vermont, right?

Wisconsin, OC, no papertrail to use a handgun for hunting, shooting, range work, or opening watermelons quickly (I saw pictures from Lovemywoods!). No paper trail.

I realize no car carry, no CC. My response was related to the paper trail in general.

If there are other state (Vermont perhaps) I am not aware.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Are there any rules regarding what you can do with that data? Are you free to duplicate, distribute, and publish as you wish?

I am not aware of any limitation. I have been purchasing such lists for years, but admit my imagination for evil is not what it once was! Ha!

I am an Engineer (boring) working in a Marketing role (real boring), and buy public lists quite frequently, when they match the demographic of my customers.

When this thread started, my initial reaction was not to crawl under a rock because I'm a gun owner with a LTCH in Indiana. It was to see if this list is as boring as all the others I have seen. I was correct.

This list is public because it is funded, and hence, will probably remain public. Kill the funding (License) and the list dies with it.

Top Bottom