• ...and so much more!
  • jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Is this your b-i-l and sister?

I'm assuming that you might be Adam Trost of Russiaville (Western High School 2005, thereafter Purdue)? That information can be pieced together within a few minutes of web searches. Would you want other even MORE personal and sensitive information disseminated by a newspaper that might make you a victim of crime or harassment?

I didn't think so.

In addition, your brother-in-law seems to be making a habit of trying to abuse public information. In June 2008, a Michael Malik with the Journal & Courier in Lafayatte at the time, filed a complaint with the Indiana public information counselor. He was seeking to obtain personal information of those who had been cited for parking violations in Lafayette for a non-permitted use. One would think that releasing the names of parking violators would tend to embarrass them and subject them to ridicule. If I'm wrong on any of this, I apologize, but it's public information put out willingly and knowingly by the subjects, unlike those in the carry license database.
    :yesway: What he said. Go back in this thread everyone and read WHY the article was written in the first place. There was no altruisitc intent. The one and only reason it was written was to sell papers and generate traffic. While I wish no harm whatsoever, he gets no respect from me. He's not a journalist, he's a hack. He should be selling used cars.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I got a response from State Senator Beverly Gard today.

Senator Gard said:
    Mr. *****,

Thank you for emailing me in regards to the publishing of the License to Carry a Handgun database by the Herald Times in Bloomington. I appreciate the time you took to contact me on this issue. There is currently a bill being drafted to make this information private. If the bill is filed and comes before me on the Senate floor I will keep your thoughts in mind.

Sincerely,

Beverly Gard
    Indiana State Senate

Turn Key

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have not read this whole thread,

But, this issue with the Herald Times posting the LTCH permit list made National News yesterday morning. I was watching the morning edition of Fox News and they had a representative from the NRA, and some left winger on debating what had happened here in Indiana.

This whole issue stinks to high heavens IMHO. It Never should have happened to begin with. I hope a class action suit is brought against them for infringement of personal privacy.

TK :ingo:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Good or bad idea?

To strike while the iron is still hot from the FoxNews coverage, do we all now deluge the ISP with requests to buy the database?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Ya still not worried about it.

That's fine. But the woman who got a gun and carry permit in fear of her Ex sure is. The people whose street has no carry permits should be. The streets that are full of permit holders should be. Considering your name and address is listed should make you concerned.

But if you're not, that's your choice. Just pray that a smart criminal doesn't get his hands on the list and targets your home. That worries me. It obviously worries thousands, millions of others. :dunno:

duckhunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    Very good find CarmelHP. That is me. Wasn't it easy. See, all of that information is out there on all of you, whether you like it or not. Do you own a home? Well if you **** someone off they can very easily find out where you live. They might not like what they find but it happens. Many people are targeted every day and use information readily available. Many of you can find out where I live and put it in your GPS and it will bring you right to me. I like many of you think thats, well, pretty creepy.

Also, I agree that the people on here are the ones who are responsible gun owners and aren't the ones sending cowardly threats. As a matter of fact, I agree with most of the things said on here, except one, Bashing his as a journalist. For what reasons? Cause he wrote a story the company asked him to? For going to work every day to collect a paycheck and support a family? Really?

Stop wasting your time with denouncing him as a journalist. You think it's the first time people got mad about a story? Hell the mayor hated him for writing a story about some scandal. He knows that comes with territory. He could be a coward and leave his name off the story but he stands behind what he writes, and I respect him for that. Of course you don't agree with what he said. That' the great thing about living in America. We have the right to say what we want and own guns. So if you don't like something tell everyone on here what they can do about it. Why get on here and continue to bash something that everyone reading this already agrees with. I challenge you to do something other than bash some journalist and make large comments that everyone pats you on the back for. The paper ran the story to sell papers and make money because they are a business.

Think of this, if the story had not been published would you still be mad? Would you even know that all of your personal information was out there for anyone to look at? Would the issue have been brought to the attention of the people who can actually make a difference? Again, take this opportunity to make a difference, not ridicule a working American, whether you agree with his story or not.

JBob77

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2009
    Scott County
    Duckhunt. Part of the membership on here has a right to be upset. They worked WITH your BIL and still feel like they were thrown under the bus.
    Coming here and asking gun owners for their help and opinions is partially what has us so up-in-arms, so to speak! The people that tried to help him, I have read and talked to for months. They were only trying to make known the majority of gun owners are intelligent, caring individuals. I think more could have been made of that, and still be within the parameters of doing his job and selling papers!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    But there is no other way to find out if someone owns a gun or has a carry permit, except through this database. Now the whole world knows it's available. Great job! :thumbsup:

It doesn't matter now. The damage has been done. As you said, now is the time to change it. Although I don't think our lameduck politicians will do anything about it, we have to try.

And I'm sorry, but there were other ways to let people know about the database without exposing it to the world. And you b-i-l didn't have to write the story. He could have taken a stand. I understand jobs are hard to come by, but when a job compromises your principles and your morals it's time to look for new work. Then again, it seems he doesn't care that the data was published. It seems he doesn't care the damage the database being thrust out there will do. That's what upsets me.

If he is pro-2A he has a funny way of showing it.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Very good find CarmelHP. That is me. Wasn't it easy. See, all of that information is out there on all of you, whether you like it or not. Do you own a home? Well if you **** someone off they can very easily find out where you live. They might not like what they find but it happens. Many people are targeted every day and use information readily available. Many of you can find out where I live and put it in your GPS and it will bring you right to me. I like many of you think thats, well, pretty creepy.

Great. Then we have common ground.

Also, I agree that the people on here are the ones who are responsible gun owners and aren't the ones sending cowardly threats.

I share that hope.

As a matter of fact, I agree with most of the things said on here, except one, Bashing his as a journalist. For what reasons? Cause he wrote a story the company asked him to? For going to work every day to collect a paycheck and support a family? Really?

You choose your work, you make your pay. And to be fair, I think he himself wrote:

The state gun permit DB has 326,988 entries. This should be fun. Let's see what nuggests I can find.
    10:31 AM Oct 29th from TweetDeck

I have a hard time seeing him as a mere cog in the system who is just trying to make a buck and get by as best he can even if the work is distasteful.

Stop wasting your time with denouncing him as a journalist. You think it's the first time people got mad about a story? Hell the mayor hated him for writing a story about some scandal. He knows that comes with territory. He could be a coward and leave his name off the story but he stands behind what he writes, and I respect him for that.

Sure, he put his name on it. He works in the open, good.

Of course you don't agree with what he said. That' the great thing about living in America. We have the right to say what we want and own guns. So if you don't like something tell everyone on here what they can do about it. Why get on here and continue to bash something that everyone reading this already agrees with.

This is called chatter and coordination. It is part of keeping up pressure and making a change.

I challenge you to do something other than bash some journalist and make large comments that everyone pats you on the back for. The paper ran the story to sell papers and make money because they are a business.

Trust me, many of us are. Many. Many.

They chose this path that we are on and now they are facing the consequences. That is part of a free country, a capitalist system, and the free market of ideas.

Think of this, if the story had not been published would you still be mad? Would you even know that all of your personal information was out there for anyone to look at? Would the issue have been brought to the attention of the people who can actually make a difference? Again, take this opportunity to make a difference, not ridicule a working American, whether you agree with his story or not.

Many of us DID ALREADY know about the database and for years have complained. This year we complained before the article ran and our concerns were ignored. This year the database was again used, this time in a more crass manner than before (the aforementioned repeated announcing of the database publicly) and this year we are plainly tired and offended enough to take action.

The HT started this in the paper and it will end in the legislature. Along the way there will be other consequences as well with advertisers and suppliers. It is my hope that these consequences will remain in the minds of the HT the next time they consider going down this path, or another similar path, again.

They want to make money off of my data and my safety? And do the same to 390,000 others like me? We then, that is their choice. And this is our response. We hope this will be quite the learning lesson for all those involved.

Again, I do not want anyone to feel that their person or property is in danger or threat. That is not a line anyone here is interested in crossing or coming anywhere near. And if you have reason to think otherwise, contact me directly and we can talk.

Now, their advertising revenue sources and community support? I hope they do feel pressure and are concerned there, that is the point. And I have every intent to help keep that up.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Please, don't try to play the "supporting his family" card. There are THOUSANDS of stories he could write about government corruption, malfeasance or downright evil, yet he chooses this low hanging fruit. I could give a rat's behind about the database as it's been public knowledge for a long time. What irks me is pandering twits like him and then you come on here trying to defend the indefensible and make a hero out of him for being brave enough to put his name on the article. Yep, he really busted his journalistic chops putting this one together.
    I'm a working American as well, I just happen to have integrity.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Duckhunt -

What your B-I-L did, in effect, was to kick over an anthill because he wanted to pis... errr agitate the ants. Some ants were already agitated before hand, but he wanted to kick it over because they wanted the reaction (e.g. selling papers). So why should he whine when the ants got ticked and called their friends and he got far more reaction than he had banked on? He was the one who kicked the anthill....

To put things another way, I have to use a Tom Clancy-ism...

If you're gonna kick the tiger in his arse, you'd better have a plan for dealing with his teeth...

Techres is spot on above. No one wishes any harm on your B-I-L. I would defend his right to write what he pleases. But I don't think he should be whining about people getting ticked. It's not our fault that he or his editor may have miscalculated.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The paper ran the story to sell papers and make money because they are a business.

Yes, they ran a story and the people who ran the story knowing that it endangers our lives and the lives of our families must be held to account for the danger that they have brought to us. What the H-T did was the epitome of irresponsible journalism.

We will change the law and we will be polite, but to ask us to "shut up and take it" is too much to ask. The H-T threatened our lives, our families and our property. This threats by the newspaper and its staff to us will not pass without comment.

Last edited:

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    Welcome to the forum duckhunt! Glad to have you as part of our community. Your brother in law would be welcome also. With all due respect to him, he would have a much better understanding of his subject matter if he spent a little time here.

I would be repeating what others have posted for the most part. However, as a long time daily HT subscriber, I can address this...

I believe you are addressing the wrong group here. Indiana LTCH holders are very unlikely to be the ones making the threats to your family. We would not risk losing our right to self defense by making foolish threats.
    I would suggest your BIL work with the authorities in searching the HT subscriber database. The "comments" section of his online articles have a fair amount of very virulent anti-gunners. It is quite apparent that they will stop at nothing to advance their cause.

Leftists got to the ultimate end to perpetrate their hoaxs:

CNN - Census Worker Death Ruled a Suicide // Current

Michelle Malkin keep a list of noose hoaxers:

Michelle Malkin Nooses

Also her "unhinged" list is pretty good:

Michelle Malkin Unhinged

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I have just been informed by Senator Brent Steele that he is co-authoring a bill to make this information confidential. He says he is in 100% agreement this should not be public information.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    I called and asked the paper will the database remain up and the answer I got from a high rankging person was "he doesn't know" This is a change from the previous we will not take it down. comment.

All I can tell you is, this has not gone as they expected. There are several of you who know more, but they wish this never happened......

Top Bottom