• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I think this is why we need a sticky. All of the information I can find on crime statistics show that we have a higher violent crime rate per 100,000 than New York. Yes, it surprised me too. I have not found anything on how many of those involve a gun and the closest year I have seen by city is around 2003. I do not know what data Ballard has, but that might be one of the problems.

The point I was trying to make is that if stricter gun laws work then places like NewYork city shouldn't have any gun related crime.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    This is distressing news to say the least.

Even Sir Bart Peterson wouldn't have suggested this level of oppression.

I hope it gets a lot of people motivated to express their opinions on appropriate ways and to become more politically active immediately.

On a smallish bright point, I hope that this example will help some finally realize and accept that being a "Republican" and/or a "conservative" doesn't automatically guarantee that someone supports your individual right to keep and bear arms.

Man, with all of our national political woes, the economic sluggishness, and personal difficulties we all face, none of us needed this kind of crap thrown at us. If this guy Ballard really does intend to restrict the expression of our inherent human right to self-defense, he's gone beyond being a "tool" in my book, regardless of his past service or whether he's a nice guy.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    I send him a note...

BTW, part of the reason we have a higher rate per 100k is; NYC is comprised of "bad" parts and "good" parts... Almost all of the "good" parts of Indy are outside of Indy proper, and almost all of the "bad" parts are inside...

ETA: Just for mentioning this, The Mayor put me on the campaign team of WHOEVER is running against him next time.

Mike

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    My email to the Mayor (Yes, I reused part of the "Mumbai" letter which is also going by snail mail):

Mr. Mayor.

I find myself rather unhappy about your comments regarding guns and the idea of adopting even a portion of New York's restrictive gun laws. I do hope you will reconsider this position.

Consider, after the Mumbai terrorist attacks, there has been talk about how to prepare for an attack here. One item that is frequently missed is that the choice of when and where to attack lies with the terrorists and, therefore, the police can do little to prevent them. The terrorists will simply attack where the police are not. If you put guards on Chase Tower, the terrorists will attack the Marriott. Put guards on the Marriott, and they will attack a shopping mall. Put armed guards on the malls and they'll attack the next Pacers home game. There simply are not enough police to be everywhere so they'll simply go where the police are not. And since these terrorists are willing to die for their cause, the thought that the police will eventually arrive and stop them will not deter them. And if India with its highly restrictive gun control could not stop the terrorists from getting the weapons they used to kill, no such gun control legislation in the US could stop similar attacks here.

Fortunately, however, Indiana has a second line of defense against these terrorists. According to a 2004 article in the Indianapolis Star, there were then 300,000 residents of Indiana who were licensed to carry handguns. That's one in twenty people in Indiana, and the number has likely only gone up since then. In most large crowds there will be some who are licensed to carry. Not all will be carrying at any given time and not all will have the fortitude to stand up to the terrorists and stop them from killing the people around them, but some will. And so we are guarded even where the police are not--by our own citizens.

The simple truth is that gun control does not work. Talk about "keeping guns out of the hands of criminals" is just that, talk. If India, with it's far more restrictive laws, could not keep guns from the terrorists how could we believe that any such restrictions here could have any useful effect?

Please reconsider this position.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The Mayor is politically naive and it would not surprise me that these gun control measures were suggested to him by an adviser. IMPD suffered under Anderson and it continues with a lackluster Chief of Police. Someone needs to open the Mayor's eyes and educate him on what does and does Not work. The International Association of Chiefs of Police is a world organization set on disarming their citizenry and making the law abiding the criminal.

txgho1911

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    DFW
    From past listening I would not hold my breath with Garrison backing us with this issue. I would call him divided on this issue.

tr1290

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    ECI
    My e-mail.
    Mayor Ballard,

I go to Indianapolis several times a year for non-essential reasons, and I could really do without the hassle. Your recent comments about firearms regulations caused me to once again reconsider whether or not it is really worth my time to go to the Indy 500, the Brickyard, or the Auto Show. In addition, this state does not allow municipalities to pass their own gun control laws, so if they are involved, it is likely that all of us would have to live with any restrictions that are enacted - especially with Democrats in control at the General Assembly. I found it interesting that you cite New York City as a city to emulate in terms of gun control, since they have one of the highest crime rates in the country.

Also, the Indy 1500 gun show draws plenty of people to the state fairgrounds, and most of those people likely buy gas and/or food in the Indianapolis area while they are there. I have plans to attend the January show myself, but I will stay away if any new firearms restrictions are enacted or proposed. You are also highly unlikely to be re-elected in this state if new restrictions are passed, because they WILL become a statewide issue.

For your reading pleasure, Art. 1, Sec. 32 of the State Constitution.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."

Also, the D.C. v. Heller Supreme Court case is highly recommended reading, best-seller material in my opinion.

Thank you for your time,

[tr1290]
    Selma, IN

Last edited:

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    I emailed him and let him know that I voted for him last election but that if he persists in this attempt to infringe on my second amendment rights , I will work for his defeat next election. I'm beginning to think Ballard is just another RINO.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think this is why we need a sticky. All of the information I can find on crime statistics show that we have a higher violent crime rate per 100,000 than New York. Yes, it surprised me too. I have not found anything on how many of those involve a gun and the closest year I have seen by city is around 2003. I do not know what data Ballard has, but that might be one of the problems.
    The part that's not addressed there is that Rudy Giuliani basically turned the city into a police state during his term. Their crime rates may be lower (I don't know), but at what cost?

Blessings,
    B

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    Sent:
    After watching the interview on Channel 8 last night, I\'m regretting voting for Greg Ballard. You speak of patterning gun laws after New York, a place where gun controls has done nothing to stop gun crime. Time and time again, it has been shown without a doubt that gun control hurts law abiding citizens, without affecting criminal element. The criminals do not care what the laws are, they aren\'t following them in the first place.
    As someone who has twice been the target of an attempted knife mugging, which I was able to end without bloodshed with a legally carried pistol, I find this very disturbing. Please re-read ARTICLE 1, Section 32 of the Indiana State Constitution. I expected better and more reasoned thought from a Marine.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    Your recent comment about "common sense gun control" bothers me greatly.
    I supported you and even took my own personal time to get others to support you due to the fact that I thought you had "common sense".

You have in many way impressed me with what you have done but this is an issue that could derail your chances of being reelected. I myself am a former Marine and served from 89-93 and would have expected better from one such as you.

You need to understand if you push for and enact "common sense" gun laws you will lose the majority of your republican support. If you want to cow and grovel to the dems thats your business, but I think stepping on the core group of your support could be political suicide.

If you enact these types of laws you will turn tens of thousands of law abiding gun owners and folks who care about their rights very deeply into over night criminals with nothing but unconstitutional laws.
    You of all people should know what defending the constitution is about as you as well as I swore to protect, and you sir on multiple occasions. Gun control is not selective other than the fact the law abiding citizens now become easy prey to those who don't care about the Law.

If I were you I would appoint a panel of folks from across the political spectrum to look into the problems our city faces in a truly "common sense" way. Because if you come after our guns you can be assured that many passionate and focused people will be working against you that had supported you in the past. I for one would hate to see this happen As I stated before I supported you in your bid, But if you push this issue I will work just as hard if not harder to see you do not win reelection.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    If restrictive gun laws reduce gun violence, then Mexico should be very peaceful. In Mexico, you can be jailed for possesing a single round of ammo and pick-up truck loads of M-16 toating police ride around the cities. However, notice all the drug wars going on. Guess someone forgot to tell the criminals that guns are illegal.

tr1290

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    ECI
    From one of my posts on the ARFCOM GD Thread on this topic
    Originally Posted By Brewgod:
    Somebody needs to make sure Chris Cox at NRA knows about this...
    Done

Mr. Chris Cox,

Mayor Greg Ballard of Indianapolis has stated that he wishes to create new gun restrictions in Indianapolis "shaped in the mold of New York City's regulations."

[tr_1127]
    https://secure.nraila.org/Contact.aspx

Also dropped a line to my State Representative (R)

Representative Davis,

I am writing you in regards to Mayor Ballard's comment about enacting gun control shaped in the mold of New York City's restrictions. He stated that he would be seeking help from the Indiana General Assembly in this regard, and I would like to encourage you to do all you can to prevent these restrictions should the General Assembly become involved.

Thank you,

[tr_1127]
    Selma, IN

and my State Senator (D)

Senator Errington,

I am writing you in regards to Mayor Ballard's comment that he wants to enact restrictions on the right to bear arms guaranteed to all Hoosiers via Article 1, Section 32 of the Indiana State Constitution. He has stated his intention to seek help from the General Assembly on this matter, and I would like to encourage you to do all you can to support the constitutional rights of all Hoosiers.

Thank you,

[tr_1127]
    Selma, IN
    Who's Your Legislator?

34oSc

I guess we all see the same thing from different angles, but from his interview I gathered he was going to ask for stiffer penalties for unlawful firearm posession. He also spoke of 2 cities in Indiana that were already persuing {this} or were ready to get onboard...Ft.Wayne? and ____?
    While it's great to be pro-active and grab for the torches and pitchforks,I haven't heard enough of his interview to jump to a conclusion.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    I don't really see how New York and DC-style handgun laws are 'working'...honestly, wouldn't better police patrols (and better paid police) in downtown indy in high-crime neighborhoods, better prosecution of criminals toting illegal firearms, renovating/demolishing abandoned buildings, and improving IPS schools go a longer way towards reducing crime?

Saying guns, knives, TV, etc. cause violence is a load of crap, and so is the thought that restricting access to the means to commit a crime magically makes crime less frequent. If someone has a motive to commit crime, they'll do it...by any means necessary.

Eh, enough preaching to the choir.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    ...but from his interview I gathered he was going to ask for stiffer penalties for unlawful firearm posession. ...
    While it's great to be pro-active and grab for the torches and pitchforks,I haven't heard enough of his interview to jump to a conclusion.

I hope that's the case, and I don't think many of us on INGO would object to Ballard taking this approach, as long as the law was clearly written in such a manner as to punish those in possession of illegal firearms, and not to make a well-intended but ultimately inexcusable infringement on our rights. Enforcement and intelligent amending of existing laws should be the key here, not additional regulation.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I hope that's the case, and I don't think many of us on INGO would object to Ballard taking this approach, as long as the law was clearly written in such a manner as to punish those in possession of illegal firearms, and not to make a well-intended but ultimately inexcusable infringement on our rights. Enforcement and intelligent amending of existing laws should be the key here, not additional regulation.

But he was talking about modeling NYC's gun laws. That means no guns could be carried in city limits by citizens, right? Or did I read NYC's gun laws wrong? From what I gather the rest of NY is like IL. Way too hard to get a CCW permit...

Top Bottom