• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • millsusaf

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Carmel
    It was just on about 4 min ago and I came straight here. I don't live in Indy proper but I will be emailing tomorrow.

Watching his manorisms I am not convinced he is sure about this statement.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Breaking News

Just watched the 10PM WNDY23 News and Mayor Ballard was on and stated that he wanted to model Indianapolis Gun Laws in the mold of New York City and that he would need the State Legislatures help in crafting this legislation. He was particularly pleased with the arrest of Plaxio Burris and that he could do prison time for possessing an unregistered firearm

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Sent:

Dear Mayor Ballard,
    I have just been made aware of your comments regarding adopting some or all of Mayor Bloomberg's coalition plans in regard to the lawful ownership of firearms. Sir, not only are Mr. Bloomberg's ideas wrong-headed, they are in violation of both the state Constitution of Indiana as well as the Constitution of the United States. Mr. Bloomberg has shown his contempt for that latter document and the rule of law repeatedly, including hiring people to cross state lines and attempt to commit felonies by purchasing firearms outside of their own state. I would heartily recommend reconsidering following his lead or in any way associating yourself with him. Crimes are not committed by guns, they are committed by people-people who do not obey laws, which is why we call them criminals. Those of us who buy guns lawfully do not need more regulation. Might I suggest that rather than regulating inanimate objects, you concentrate on regulating those who commit the violent crimes?
    I do not mean to come across with sarcasm, but rather suggestions that will actually help to control crime. I do not live in Indianapolis, but I do work there quite often. I would be happy to discuss these issues with you if you wish to do so.
    Thank you for your time and consideration of the points of my letter.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    This is why a rudderless Republican is actually worse than a committed Democrat. An idiot like Ballard, who is under the thumb of the klepto-Republican mob will say and do things no Democrat would dare. Spank him.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I just saw it at 11. He said if it works in New York it would work here. He doesn't think the legislature has time to address it in 2009 so we have time to start lobbying the Mayor's office. I suggest a personal visit to Ballard. I think we need to get a good deal of backup info, maybe a moderated sticky for this?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Can anyone show me where and how this works in NY? Last I knew, NY was notorious for their gun related crimes...

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Just sent the following coment to the mayor:

The law under which Plaxico Burris will be prosecuted does little to decrease gun violence because it cannot be used against convicted felons who perpetrate most violent crimes. Since felons cannot own firearms legally, requiring them to register their guns violates the fifth amendment by requiring them to admit they have a gun illegally. Thus, felons cannot be prosecuted under this law and the courts have so ruled.
    To reduce gun violence, I recommend the following:
    1 Aggressively prosecute every felon found in possession of a firearm.
    2.Pursue maximum sentences for every repeat offender in possession of a firearm.
    3.Routinely try juveniles in possession of a firearm as adults; special circumstances should be required to try them as juveniles.
    In short, take actions which make it "expensive" for criminals to carry firearms.
    Thank you for your time.

Doug

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I just saw it at 11. He said if it works in New York it would work here. He doesn't think the legislature has time to address it in 2009 so we have time to start lobbying the Mayor's office. I suggest a personal visit to Ballard. I think we need to get a good deal of backup info, maybe a moderated sticky for this?

Why the hell does he think it works in places like NY, Chicago with the murder rate just those two cities have?

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Sent a short comment to Mayor Ballard asking him to think about, if the stricter gun laws that cities like New York, Chicago, D.C. work then why do they have such high murder rates?. Also how would he get the criminals to register the illegal gun that they have.
    And as a retired police officer and holder of a LTCH from the state of Indiana that it's not the law abiding gun owner that complies with the law that is the problem.

96harley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    Martinsville
    Mayors can be a strange bunch when it comes to issues like this. I have seen CITIZENS/VOTERS at council meetings where they would be voting on issues here that were of concern to the VOTERS. When VOTERS fill council meetings you would be surprised how quickly the mayor and city, county, or whatever council persons change direction. Trust me, attend the council meetings. The adgendas have to be announced as well as the place and time of the meetings.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Sent a short comment to Mayor Ballard asking him to think about, if the stricter gun laws that cities like New York, Chicago, D.C. work then why do they have such high murder rates?. Also how would he get the criminals to register the illegal gun that they have.
    And as a retired police officer and holder of a LTCH from the state of Indiana that it's not the law abiding gun owner that complies with the law that is the problem.

I think this is why we need a sticky. All of the information I can find on crime statistics show that we have a higher violent crime rate per 100,000 than New York. Yes, it surprised me too. I have not found anything on how many of those involve a gun and the closest year I have seen by city is around 2003. I do not know what data Ballard has, but that might be one of the problems.

Top Bottom