• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

34oSc

Gee it's hard for me to see thru these rose colored glasses and I'm not a lawyer but if they start throwing thugs who ain't supposed to have guns in jail for say 5 or 10 years I'm gonna say YAY!
    I'll lose no sleep if 4sarge's good friend, plaxico burris spends 3 years in jail.

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    Gee it's hard for me to see thru these rose colored glasses and I'm not a lawyer but if they start throwing thugs who ain't supposed to have guns in jail for say 5 or 10 years I'm gonna say YAY!
    I'll lose no sleep if 4sarge's good friend, plaxico burris spends 3 years in jail.

Perhaps you need to read what the mayor is talking about here again --

"Even if Burress had never fired, New York has mandatory jail time for carrying a gun that's not registered with the city. Ballard thinks what works there might also work in Indy."

That means to me, as I read it, and as holder of a lifetime Indiana LTCH that happens to live in the far NE corner of Marion county, I would have to REGISTER my carry guns (I assume this, maybe he means all my guns) with the city to legally carry in Indianapolis.

This doesn't have jack to do with some dumbass football player that doesn't have enough sense to carry a Glock with a round in the chamber in a proper holster, let alone the legal aspects of what he did.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Greg should be term limited by the voters. He was elected in desperation, but the voters were fooled again. The guy is an ineffective, bumbling idiot. All he's done is switch the kleptocracy to Republican hands. His allies like Brizzi, Charlie White, Todd Rokita, etc should be made to know that if they continue to associate with this guy then their higher office hopes are null and void.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    All political offices in the United States should be term limited.....PERIOD. What's the old saying about politicians? They are like diapers....they should be changed often, and for the same reason.

:+1:

Term limits would be especially useful in city council situations where office holders create their own fiefdoms.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Ballard was scheduled to be interviewed on WTLC radio on Thursday at 2PM. It was widely rumored that he was going to roll out his anti-gun proposals on the show. Did anyone catch it?

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    Over at Hoosier Access, a blog somewhat influential among state Republicans is a "discussion" in which some posters known to be affiliated with the mayor's
    office are saying, in essence, "well, wait til you see his proposal to the legislature before you flame him." I don't want to wait until it gets that far, I encourage others to add their two cents worth.

HoosierAccess Blog Archive Greg Ballard Wants More Gun Control Laws

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Here's my idea. While I oppose restrictions on any citizens Second Ammendment rights, I think a committee representing Indiana gun owners should be formed. The purpose of the committee would be to offer our services to the Mayor's office by presenting the legal gun owners side of the issue. We could offer to present facts, not opinion and propaganda. We all seem to be in favor of strong punishment for illegal gun use. Maybe there is some way to accomplish the goal without infringing on the rights of legal gun owners. Just an idea. I would be willing to serve. The committee should represent the views of the majority of the sponsoring group(s). For the best representation, maybe other groups should be represented. Again, this is just an idea. What do you think?

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    The only problem with Term limits is that you have people like Mayor Bloomberg that somehow convice people to let him stay in office past the term limit.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I called Ballard's office today to voice my objection to this. I was told that no, he does not want to new laws or to enact NYC-style "gun control" in IN, that that was meant for felons. When I mentioned that he had said something about going to the legislature, I was told that he was not doing so. I said he must have been misquoted, then, but just in case, I wanted one more vote against his doing anything like this. Funny thing, the only person available to talk to me was the receptionist who answered the phone, and she sounded really exasperated... Something tells me she's answered a LOT of calls about this. Keep it up, folks. Make 'em SICK of it and maybe Ballard will come on TV and tell us he was mistaken and has no such intentions.

Maybe he can save himself from being the next Jim Zumbo.

Blessings,
    B

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    UPDATE!!

I just received this letter:
    OK! All you people that have a lot of hard bark. You can cease fire on Indianapolis Mayor Ballard's office. Based on just the e-mails and phone calls we got from all of you, they got drenched in phone calls.

The talking points you guys made to his office were beyond impressive. I got a call a few minutes ago from the Mayor's office from a Jen Pittman, Deputy Director of Communications. She was very cordial and stated from the beginning that she was 100% on our side of this.

She explained that the Mayor, as many of you and I heard in our phone calls, supports the Second Amendment and claims he has no intention of pushing for more new gun laws.

She told me that TV Channel 8 edited that interview and added suggestions and references to "New York Gun laws" to imply that Indianapolis needs something like that.

Well, regardless of whomever implied or misspoke up there, it seems there's been some scrambling to set the record straight. I wonder what could have caused that?

Innocent or intentional, we want folks to be careful when they talk about guns and crime. After hearing Ms. Pittman's explanation I'll take her word. Perhaps the Mayor really meant no harm and is just wanting to do something out of desperation.

However, I would like to re-channel the thinking that's been going on in this country since the dinosaurs died about keeping guns out of felons' hands.

The popular belief that more laws or enhancing existing laws is the answer. I'm afraid it's not. Generally this attempt requires snaring good people into yet another web that the bad boyz always slip through.

If they really want to keep really bad guys from desiring to have a gun, then we need to do some precision work. A blanket law that reads all felons who are caught with a gun gets twice the prison time is all wrong.

How does that affect felons whose methods are to use a knife or a tire iron when they want to kill someone? Or what about the knot head who likes to set a building with people in it on fire?

Here's another thing. What about the young, foolish young person who does a real dumb non violent act when they're 18 or 19 years old, but gets classified as a felon because a state legislature upgraded a misdemeanor crime to a felony because it generates more money for the legal system?

What does putting someone like that, who when they grow up becomes a respectable citizen, husband and father, and is now 35 years old and wants to take his two young sons hunting is caught in the possession of a gun in the same boat as the gangster who kills a family of five accomplish?

No! No! No! Let's be real careful and specific on how we control crime and not guns.

I asked Ms. Pittman if at some point Mayor Ballard would be willing to meet with some of our good pro gun legislators and some of you and maybe get our compasses pointing in the same direction. She told me she's going to go to work on that. She explained the Mayor's schedule to me. He books things 6 weeks out.

If someone, somewhere in this whole wide country could break out of this endless circle of the same old tactics of stopping crime and really throw the brakes on, wouldn't it be nice if it happened here in Indiana?

Anyway, you guys sprayed the weed killer on this before it got too far. Someday we hope that liberals in this country will be afraid to close their eyes at night for fear of being overheard talking in their sleep about gun control.

Margie and I want to thank all of you "old timers" who've been with us for a long time and all the new friends who have saddled up with us since this Indy flap who described your phone calls to us. GREAT JOB. That's how we do it. That's called a joint effort.

Lastly, I want to post a letter we received which is a sample we get from so many of you good Patriots.

Jim,

Thanks for what you do. My wife and I really appreciate it. We live in Northern IN and am friends with Mike Lycenski.

I regret that in the past I always let things go by. It was someone else's responsibility. What could I do? I am too busy. Last summer when Mishawaka was going to pass the law about no guns on city grounds. I received multiple emails from you and a few phone calls from friends who had already been alerted by you. I went to that meeting.

I have called the mayor and left a message with Mr. Vane. I will call again tomorrow. Let me know when your next get together is and my wife and I will try to come. I need a group of good men I can stand with. Because by myself I am easily overlooked. Thanks for giving me this opportunity.

From all the Patriots down here, thanks John and many thanks to all of you who have decided to STAY UNITED.

Margie and I now want to wish each and everyone of you dear friends, though some of us have never met, not just a happy holiday or seasons greeting, but a Blessed and Merry Christmas.

Let's give thanks for God's greatest gift to mankind, His Son and our Saviour, Jesus Christ.

Jim and Margie
    2nd Amendment Patriots
    STAY UNITED
    www.2ndamendmentpatriots.org

FTW!!!

Blessings,
    B

10ring

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Classified
    So...

"She told me that TV Channel 8 edited that interview and added suggestions and references to "New York Gun laws" to imply that Indianapolis needs something like that."

And this from the channel 8 website...

"Even if Burress had never fired, New York has mandatory jail time for carrying a gun that's not registered with the city. Ballard thinks what works there might also work in Indy."

Does Ballard "think" that way or not? If channel 8 just made that up, then Ballard should be all over the press correcting their journalistic malpractice and making what he really "thinks" crystal clear.

I won't hold my breath....

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2008
    Southport
    I heard the interview on TV, and he wants to target illegal guns due to the string of murders over the summer and i know none of the scumbags had permits or legal weapons.
    What we should do as law abiding citizens is to rally behind the mayor and inform him that we will do whatever it takes to get the scum behind bars, and get the illegal guns off the streets.
    We need to be proactive and work with law enforcement, and encourage them that we want to protect our rights by helping them do their job. If you know an LE officer, talk to him, and voice your concerns. Writing the mayor with your concerns and your support can't hurt.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I heard the interview on TV, and he wants to target illegal guns due to the string of murders over the summer and i know none of the scumbags had permits or legal weapons.
    What we should do as law abiding citizens is to rally behind the mayor and inform him that we will do whatever it takes to get the scum behind bars, and get the illegal guns off the streets.
    We need to be proactive and work with law enforcement, and encourage them that we want to protect our rights by helping them do their job. If you know an LE officer, talk to him, and voice your concerns. Writing the mayor with your concerns and your support can't hurt.

What illegal guns? Illegal guns because they are stolen, not registered, illegal because they are semi auto and the Mayor doesn't want them in Marion County. Gun registration is a bad idea and should be unconstitutional. Incarcerate the offender, mandatory prison time for felons committing a gun crime. We do not need more laws, we need vigorous enforcement of existing laws. We need the prosecutor and judges working together to cleanse the streets of these felons instead of slapping them on the wrist. Mayor Ballard get a grip.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel

I saw the interview, and this is pure spin. If, as he says, he got his inspiration from the Plaxico Burress incident, where his only crime was carrying an unregistered gun, then this is a lie. Also, he said he would like to see the legislature enact registration for Indianapolis. What exactly are illegal guns? Why not get the criminals off the street? The mayor is a Quisling and an idiot.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    What illegal guns? Illegal guns because they are stolen, not registered, illegal because they are semi auto and the Mayor doesn't want them in Marion County. Gun registration is a bad idea and should be unconstitutional. Incarcerate the offender, mandatory prison time for felons committing a gun crime. We do not need more laws, we need vigorous enforcement of existing laws. We need the prosecutor and judges working together to cleanse the streets of these felons instead of slapping them on the wrist. Mayor Ballard get a grip.

Hey there Sarge, stop beating me to the punch!:)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I just received this letter:

FTW!!!

Blessings,
    B

That letter was dead on. You can't blanket law felons as some may be the most upstanding citizen besides the check they bounced and never paid at 18. Also as she stated, what about criminals and felons that kill by other means than guns. We must focus on making the penalties for violent felons so awful that they wouldn't dare think to do something that stupid. Or make it mandatory for every person to carry and recieve training. I like the first idea much better though! LOL

I also like the idea of an Indiana committee of Gun Owners to advise our Rep's and Governors.

That's awesome that we all reversed their way of thinking like that. It's the first time I've ever seen it work. So on that, I take back what I said about letter writing campaigns. But just remember this was a large scale campaign that was completely unorganized, we all just had the same goals. Just some food for thought!

Thanks to everyone who sent letters and called! Way to sock it to 'em!

Top Bottom