• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I guess we all see the same thing from different angles, but from his interview I gathered he was going to ask for stiffer penalties for unlawful firearm possession. He also spoke of 2 cities in Indiana that were already persuing {this} or were ready to get onboard...Ft.Wayne? and ____?
    While it's great to be pro-active and grab for the torches and pitchforks,I haven't heard enough of his interview to jump to a conclusion.

Great Post but please tell me where you bought those rose colored glasses :rolleyes: NYC has the most restrictive gun laws imaginable. Fort Wayne, home of Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Center and Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence.

red-arrow12.gif
    Dec. 17, 2008 - Brady Campaign Praises Education Secretary Nominee, Principled Believer In Common-Sense Limits On Possession Of Firearms
    red-arrow-anim.gif
    Dec. 12, 2008 - Only in America: Infamous School Shooter Almost Permitted To Carry Hidden, Loaded Firearm
    red-arrow-anim.gif
    Dec. 8, 2008 - A Good Cigar May Be A Smoke, But A Gun Is Not A Medical Device, FDA Says In Response To Gunmaker

The Brady Campaign works at the Federal, State and local level to enact sensible gun laws. We have divided this area up between federal and state legislation. Click here for state legislation.
    Federal Legislation: Key Issues
    House Passes Bill That Will Threaten Public Safety and Homeland Security

The House of Representatives voted to second-guess the District of Columbia's elected officials and substitute their own views on the appropriate local gun laws in the Nation's Capital.
    After a Brady Center report highlighted the gun lobby's false denials that its bill to gut D.C.'s gun laws would allow assault rifles on the streets of our Nation's Capital, the NRA revised the bill with an amendment to prevent the carrying of assault weapons on D.C.'s streets. The NRA-back amendment, proposed by Rep. Childers, still went far beyond authorizing gun possession for self-defense in the home.

The legislation passed by the House will endanger public safety in a city that is already a target for terrorists. It will allow dangerous people to stockpile dangerous weapons and make it harder for the people of D.C. to combat gun violence in their community.

Brady President Paul Helmke said in a statement after the House vote: "At a time when we should be taking common sense steps to protect Americans and their families from gun violence, this is a step in the opposite direction. The United States Senate should not allow this dangerous bill to move forward." To date, the Senate has not voted on the bill.

New Post-Election Poll Shows Strong Voter
    Support for Gun Laws

2008 ELECTION POLLING –
    BY THE NUMBERS83%A majority of voters surveyed favor Brady criminal background checks.67%A majority of voters indicated that reasonable gun laws should be adopted in the first year of the next Administration.
    According to a National Post-Election Omnibus Survey, support for sensible gun laws is strong, not only among those who voted for Obama, but also among McCain voters.
    The poll, conducted by Penn, Schoen & Berland, found that 3 in 4 (76%) voters favor reasonable gun regulations in general, with 4 in 5 (83%) who favor Brady criminal background checks for all gun sales, including 84% of McCain voters and gun owners. The results also highlight that the NRA had little sway over voters.

The findings indicate that sensible gun legislation is a unique opportunity for the Obama Administration to build bridges to moderate voters in both parties.
    Election Results: A Major Win for Sensible Gun Laws
    The election of Barack Obama as President and Joe Biden as Vice President was a decisive victory for common sense gun laws.

Paul Helmke speaks at an event in Los Angeles about the Results of the 2008 Election

The Brady Campaign issued a strong endorsement of the ticket in October because of the candidates' strong support of reasonable gun laws. Sarah Brady, Chair of the Brady Campaign, hailed the election as "a good day for people who want to reduce gun violence in America."
    The election is a critical loss for the National Rifle Association. The gun lobby spent millions to defeat the Obama-Biden ticket and failed. The NRA's scare tactics about gun confiscation no longer works given the decision in the Supreme Court's decision in DC v Heller.​

Sarah Brady went on to say that the election was "...a bad day for extremists who are stuck in the rhetoric of the past." There is no indication that any candidate, at any level, lost their election because of their support of reasonable gun measures.​
    Law Enforcement and Communities Less Safe
    Since Expiration of Assault Weapons Ban
    A recently released Brady Center report entitled, Mass Produced Mayhem, highlights how the availability of assault weapons has changed the balance of power between law enforcement and criminals, endangering police officers and communities. At least 15 police officers have been killed and 23 wounded since the ban expired in September 2004.

Brady President Paul Helmke said that "Our communities are less safe today than they were four years ago, when devastating weapons like AK-47s were not readily available to thugs and other dangerous people." Helmke urged policy makers to take action immediately to get military-style assault weapons off our streets.

The Brady report notes that Senator Barack Obama said in his convention acceptance speech that we should keep assault weapons out of the hands of criminals. Senator John McCain has opposed a ban on assault weapons.
    U.S. Supreme Court Decision May Lead to Stronger Gun Laws
    The U.S. Supreme Court's Second Amendment decision in D.C. v Heller may have the "unintended consequence" of helping to enact stronger gun laws, according to a report issued by the Brady Center.
    In June, the Justices disagreed by the narrowest of margins, 5 - 4, on whether the Second Amendment provides an individual, non-militia based right to bear arms. All nine Justices agreed, however, that a wide variety of gun laws are presumptively constitutional, including restrictions on carrying concealed weapons, guns in schools and other sensitive places, and bans on "dangerous and unusual" weapons.

While the decision gives criminal defendants a legal tool to use to potentially avoid criminal convictions or mitigate their punishments and will inspire the gun lobby to challenge gun laws, it may also clear some of the wedge politics that have blocked the nation from passing sensible gun laws in the future, the report says.

Gosh, you are so right, I'm sure Good Mayor Ballard is looking out for our safety and well being in a gun free Indianapolis envisioned by our Hoosier Friend Paul Helmke. The Mayor needs to know how we feel before any legislation is passed.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    The devil is in the details. It all depends who defines "reasonable" in respect to gun laws. Most of the "sheeple" out there will be satisfied to cower in their homes and hope the goverment will protect them. This is about ending the second ammendment not "public safety". There was gun crime under the most repressive police states: Nazi Germany, USSR and Sadam's Iraq. Australia and England have both recently enacted extreme gun restrictions and violent crime has gon up! Of course, our elected officials don't care about the facts, just their power. Why not eliminate that troublesome 5th Ammendment that hampers the police so? Don't like that, they''ll just do away with the first Ammendment if you speak out against them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I say we all just pitch in and buy an Island in SE Asia or the carribean and declare it the new USA! LOL

J/K of course. I would never abandon my Country!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Very true on both points. I hope Ballard gets his head outta his arse and wakes up to the fact we will not tolerate this.

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I just sent an email to John Crone, NRA Field Representative here in Indy.

He called and left a voice mail for me expaining a little about what Ballards intnetions are. The msg was breif but I intend to follow up. He took the standpoint that Ballard wants to punish criminals more severly.

He also mentiond that the ammo tax bill is something we should be more concerned about.

I will keep you guys posted.

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    FINALLY posted on Wish TV... I wonder if it had anything to do with me e-mailing them this morning and asking them if they were sweeping it under the rug for him? :dunno:

Mayor speaks on firearms & city?s future

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - The mayor of Indianapolis is considering a bold and probably controversial step to curb violent crime in the city.

During a deadly summer time stretch of Central Indiana violence, Mayor Greg Ballard gave his police department an order.

"Reduce violent crime. That's all I told them. I said "all this other stuff you're doing', I don't care," said Mayor Ballard.

As pace of murders slowed, but never stopped the mayor said he kept searching for answers.

"I'm just looking for the "big hit", the big impact of violent crime. That's what I keep going back to, that's what I really want to do if it can have a dramatic impact," said Ballard.

Then in November, Ballard got inspiration from, of all places, a football star that shot himself in the leg. Giant Plaxico Burress is fighting 3 years in prison, not for the shooting, but for the weapon. Even if Burress had never fired, New York has mandatory jail time for carrying a gun that's not registered with the city. Ballard thinks what works there might also work in Indy.

"I wonder about our gun laws. Should we be harsher with our gun laws," said Ballard.

Ballard's idea is clearly still in its earliest stages. He told 24-Hour News 8 his hopes before he even mentioned them to his own staff or public safety director. He revealed it, unexpectedly, during an otherwise routine interview about his first year in office.

"I'd like to look at gun laws, frankly. Penalties for illegal guns," said Ballard.

Ballard said he knows many will oppose the idea, and he wants to make clear what kind of guns he'd target.

"I have no problem with second amendment legal guns. No problem what so ever on that. It's the illegal guns that are concerning," said Ballard.

New York's mayor pushed the issue through at the city level. But, Ballard said he'd have to work with state government and acknowledges Indiana lawmakers may not have the time in 2009.

"It may be a down-the-line issue. It's a very tough session. I'm not sure anybody will be paying attention at this point in time. I expect the session to be about government reform and the budget this time," said Ballard.

Mayor Ballard said he's not sure how and when he will try to take the next step, but he's convinced that in the effort to end violent crime; illegal guns are a good place to start. Ballard may find support from the mayors of two other large Indiana cities.

The mayors of Fort Wayne and South Bend have signed on to an effort by New York's mayor to strengthen illegal gun laws.
    Mike

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    FINALLY posted on Wish TV... I wonder if it had anything to do with me e-mailing them this morning and asking them if they were sweeping it under the rug for him? :dunno:

Mayor speaks on firearms & city?s future

Mike

The mayors of Fort Wayne and South Bend have signed on to an effort by New York's mayor to strengthen illegal gun laws.

Thanks for the follow-up. The Devil is in the details as jimbo-indy stated previously. Having the Mayor's of South Bend and Fort Wayne on board signals a draconian approach to regulating firearms in Indiana. We must be vigilant and not allow Mayor Ballard to slide us down the slippery slope of gun control for the masses. Incarcerate the criminals, Imprison the violent offenders BUT do not by regulation create a new class of felons in your haste to protect us all from the true criminals. I'm afraid that Mayor Ballard has become lost on his path as Mayor.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Look at "illegal guns"?

So, he's going to:

1. Make prosecuting stolen guns a priority?
    2. Make illegal, violent behavior with firearms a priority?
    3. Make harrassing yuppies in Broad Ripple who are not breaking the law a priority?
    4. Push the General Assembly to make Possession of a stolen firearm double secret illegal? Raise it to a C Felony, instead of a D? Someone tell me the definition of an "illegal gun".

So, Mayor Ballard, do you simply issue orders to Carl Brizzi? If so, can I talk to you about a few issues I have with his office?

Is he thinking or just moving his mouth? Does he realize the political hornets' nest that he just poked?

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'd like to see the mayor produce data that will show his proposals will reduce crime/violence. Where has it ever worked before?

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Look at "illegal guns"?

Is he thinking or just moving his mouth? Does he realize the political hornets' nest that he just poked?

Moving his mouth, I think (I hope)... Article said he hadn't even consulted with his staff about it...

I think he's about to find out... I think it's more like... well.. have you ever run over a hornets' nest with a Bush Hog??

Mike

Last edited:
    Top Bottom