Harriet Tubman is your potential replacement for Jackson on the $20 bill.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    PJ_Trump_Bank_LLC_framed_-100.jpg

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    And the rewriting of history continues.
    Pretty soon, the Nazis will have been defeated by the U.N. armed with subpoenas.

Huh? Am I missing something? What rewriting?

Some of you may remember this controversy....

tumblr_npbxxxsWRv1qap9gno1_1280.jpg

They wanted the artist to put a "lantern" in her hand instead...The artist refused...

Tubman mural with musket is rejected

Associated Black Charities decides artwork conveys wrong image for office

June 14, 2000|By Jamie Stiehm | Jamie Stiehm,SUN STAFF
    Saying it doesn't reflect their image, the Associated Black Charities board unanimously rejected last night a contentious mural of Harriet Tubman carrying a musket, which was intended for its downtown building at Cathedral and Chase streets.
    Mural artist Mike Alewitz and staffers from Baltimore Clayworks, which commissioned the work, searched yesterday for "appropriately visible" sites and walls in the city for the larger-than-life image, which was originally planned to stand 25 feet tall on a wall facing Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.
    "It needs to be a good public wall," Alewitz said.
    "It's fine if it's not a good fit," Deborah Bedwell, executive director of Clayworks, said before last night's vote. Clayworks, a Mount Washington nonprofit, chose Alewitz to portray the Underground Railroad leader in five works to be installed in Maryland as part of a Mid-Atlantic Arts Council project. She said his work centers on social justice themes.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The musket in the mural design stirred an outcry about historical truth vs. contemporary reality.
    Some suggested that Alewitz's design, showing Tubman holding a musket as she symbolically parts a Red Sea and leads slaves to freedom, condones gun violence.
    The issue triggered debate about whether it was appropriate for Associated Black Charities' public wall in a city that records at least 300 homicides a year.
    "It has started the community discussing slavery, race and history," said Donna Jones Stanley, the Associated executive director, who recommended against Alewitz's design.
    Since 1985, the Associated has been a leading presence in the black community, giving nearly $6 million in grants to programs benefiting the greater Baltimore area.
    It is agreed Tubman carried a gun for protection, but Stanley declared, "It is not historically correct. She carried a pistol, not a rifle. It's his vision, but it's our wall."
    A few urged Alewitz to substitute a staff for the musket. He refused last week, saying, "I will not disarm Harriet Tubman. ... There was nothing safe about her." Phillip Sterling and Rayford Logan wrote in "Four Took Freedom" that Tubman made 11 trips from Maryland to Canada from 1852 to 1857, leading about 300 to freedom. "Her most famous trip concerned a passenger who panicked and wanted to turn back. Tubman was afraid if he left he would be tortured and would tell all he knew. The unwilling passenger changed his mind when Tubman pointed a gun at his head and said `dead folks tell no tales.'"
    Said Alewitz: "Nothing will stop this historic endeavor. Harriet Tubman will live on the walls of Maryland."

Bolded

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Can you make her blue, wading in a ball pit at Chuck-E-Cheese, and have some people lounging in a Lazy River ride near the bottom? Oh, and throw in a maze that you can't solve and some red something or other. Artsy people love red something or others.

The INGO controversy would be the poor trigger finger discipline shown in the smurf-in-a-ball-pit version.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Huh? Am I missing something? What rewriting?

The folks that commissioned the mural asked the artist to replace the musket with a staff...They pointed out (correctly so) that she actually carried a pistol and he pointed out (correctly so) that no one had a problem with her parting the Red Sea so why care whether it was a musket or a pistol...

Point is that Harriet Tubman packed heat.....She arguably had the most dangerous job in the US at that time....She needed heat....

If they put that design on a T Shirt I would buy one...It kind of looks like a mid 80's Grateful dead show T Shirt....:)

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Can you make her blue, wading in a ball pit at Chuck-E-Cheese, and have some people lounging in a Lazy River ride near the bottom? Oh, and throw in a maze that you can't solve and some red something or other. Artsy people love red something or others.

The INGO controversy would be the poor trigger finger discipline shown in the smurf-in-a-ball-pit version.

I can see a controversy about the use of the term "Lazy River".

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Ya know, I make a "homeless handy" comment to try and get a laugh, and get nitpicked on the details. But, if you must know...
    $20 seems kinda steep for a handy from a homeless guy, I bet you could talk him down to $10.
    My guy maintains great eye contact and has surprisingly soft hands. Well worth the extra ten bucks.
    A bottle of mad dog 20/20 is about $8.00
    Amateur mistake. You can't give him the booze, he'll have a couple swigs first to calm his nerves. The results are much better when he still has the shakes.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Dude it was the eighties..."Purple Rain" and "The Color Purple" had just come out...Purple WAS the new black...

Jame Brown even had a minor hit with a reboot of his classic "Say it Loud"

"Say it loud.
    I'm purple and I'm proud.
    Say it Loud.
    I'm Purple and I'm proud. One more time
    Say it loud.
    I'm purple and I'm proud. Huh.."

:):):):)

The_Color_Purple_poster.jpg

purplerainsinglecover1.jpg

holy crap that was prophetic considering today's events.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    This is ****ing stupid. Andrew Jackson should be on the front. I'm so over all the ******* and bleeding hearts in this country. Can't wait till **** gets fixed and some people that need it get kicked in the face

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    This is ****ing stupid. Andrew Jackson should be on the front. I'm so over all the ******* and bleeding hearts in this country. Can't wait till **** gets fixed and some people that need it get kicked in the face

Oh No No-
    You need to be more tolerant of all the ****ing bleeding heart liberal p****** in this country.

speedracer302

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Feb 12, 2014
    Hamilton County

Careful! You are not being very PC... This is an important step for the country. (sarcasm!)

Not only do we get a woman on paper money, a slave owner has been removed!

I agree that this it total BS and a waste of taxpayer dollars.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

WTF? I'm good with a ****ing ******* Democrat being kicked off the currency in favor of a gun toting Republican.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    WTF? I'm good with a ****ing ******* Democrat being kicked off the currency in favor of a gun toting Republican.

I dunno...he had at least one redeeming quality. I forget what case it was on but once, he told the court to go blow their decision out of their ***escand go enforce it themselves. I kind of like that.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I dunno...he had at least one redeeming quality. I forget what case it was on but once, he told the court to go blow their decision out of their ***escand go enforce it themselves. I kind of like that.

If I owned a studio in Hollywood, now is the time to do an Andy Jackson movie. Regardless of the type of person he was, he most certainly had an interesting life.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF

Worcester v. Georgia (1832). SCOTUS basically held that only fed govt. was empowered to deal with Indian nations. More or less led to the Trail of Tears, or at least indirectly justified federal removal. Ironic. SCOTUS 'protection' of Cherokee gave feds license to eject.

Kind of the Obama of his day.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If I owned a studio in Hollywood, now is the time to do an Andy Jackson movie. Regardless of the type of person he was, he most certainly had an interesting life.

I'd say you're right. He led an interesting life...much different than any of us did growing up. I could see how it could be made into quite an entertaining movie.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Worcester v. Georgia (1832). SCOTUS basically held that only fed govt. was empowered to deal with Indian nations. More or less led to the Trail of Tears, or at least indirectly justified federal removal. Ironic. SCOTUS 'protection' of Cherokee gave feds license to eject.

Kind of the Obama of his day.

I was thinking it had something to do with financial stuff. But it's been awhile.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom