Harriet Tubman is your potential replacement for Jackson on the $20 bill.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    When exactly did this "switch" occur? When it benefited democrats i'm sure! Byrd was a democrat representative and senator from 1953 until 2010, so the fact that he was a racist democrat when he started really meant he was a republican? And when he apologized so he could further his career he then became a "real" democrat, but the whole time he was called a democrat? The Republicans that supported the CRA were actually democrats and democrats that fought it tooth and nail were actually Republicans, so the switch happened pretty recently (historically speaking), right after the CRA was passed?

No, the there was a gradual transition, most notably, during the T. Roosevelt, Hoover, FDR, and JFK administrations. Presidential candidate William Jennings Bryan (of Scopes Monkey Trial fame) is cited as one of the first that started the parties to revamp their platforms.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They haven't switched per se, they both moved left. the dems became ultraliberal and republicans became democrats

I agree with you on this, but the platform the Republicans claim to extol, is completely different than the platform they held prior to the 1930s

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Will the new $20 bill still get me three joints from the neighbor kid or a handy from the homeless guy who hangs out at the truck stop? Yes? Then I have no issues with it.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I agree with you on this, but the platform the Republicans claim to extol, is completely different than the platform they held prior to the 1930s

Not as much as you would think. Republicans always championed individual freedom. Republicans were always the party of "Big Business" (remember, more than just the absolute brutality and immorality of the slave system, there was the whole concept of labor, which the North knew was a disadvantage). Democrats have always been a few elites conning the many. Remember, most farmers in the South didn't own slaves, but the Democrats in power changed the narrative (even before the war) that this wasn't to defend slavery, noooooooo, it is to defend our State's RIIIIIGHTTTTTSSSS! So there are still similarities. The only thing that really changed is the use of Federal Power. The Republicans used federal power to free people, and keep them free (for a while). After the Wilson/Progressive Era began, Republicans realized that perhaps Federal Power should be reigned in, but, with the exception of Calvin Coolidge, didn't have the means necessary from 1930-1994.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    But seriously, this would be badass.

CggCSq4WcAA86C3.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    After the Wilson/Progressive Era began, Republicans realized that perhaps Federal Power should be reigned in, but, with the exception of Calvin Coolidge, didn't have the means necessary from 1930-1994.

History nerd alert: Coolidge was President from 1923 to 1929.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Some of you may remember this controversy....

tumblr_npbxxxsWRv1qap9gno1_1280.jpg

They wanted the artist to put a "lantern" in her hand instead...The artist refused...

Tubman mural with musket is rejected

Associated Black Charities decides artwork conveys wrong image for office

June 14, 2000|By Jamie Stiehm | Jamie Stiehm,SUN STAFF
    Saying it doesn't reflect their image, the Associated Black Charities board unanimously rejected last night a contentious mural of Harriet Tubman carrying a musket, which was intended for its downtown building at Cathedral and Chase streets.
    Mural artist Mike Alewitz and staffers from Baltimore Clayworks, which commissioned the work, searched yesterday for "appropriately visible" sites and walls in the city for the larger-than-life image, which was originally planned to stand 25 feet tall on a wall facing Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.
    "It needs to be a good public wall," Alewitz said.
    "It's fine if it's not a good fit," Deborah Bedwell, executive director of Clayworks, said before last night's vote. Clayworks, a Mount Washington nonprofit, chose Alewitz to portray the Underground Railroad leader in five works to be installed in Maryland as part of a Mid-Atlantic Arts Council project. She said his work centers on social justice themes.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The musket in the mural design stirred an outcry about historical truth vs. contemporary reality.
    Some suggested that Alewitz's design, showing Tubman holding a musket as she symbolically parts a Red Sea and leads slaves to freedom, condones gun violence.
    The issue triggered debate about whether it was appropriate for Associated Black Charities' public wall in a city that records at least 300 homicides a year.
    "It has started the community discussing slavery, race and history," said Donna Jones Stanley, the Associated executive director, who recommended against Alewitz's design.
    Since 1985, the Associated has been a leading presence in the black community, giving nearly $6 million in grants to programs benefiting the greater Baltimore area.
    It is agreed Tubman carried a gun for protection, but Stanley declared, "It is not historically correct. She carried a pistol, not a rifle. It's his vision, but it's our wall."
    A few urged Alewitz to substitute a staff for the musket. He refused last week, saying, "I will not disarm Harriet Tubman. ... There was nothing safe about her." Phillip Sterling and Rayford Logan wrote in "Four Took Freedom" that Tubman made 11 trips from Maryland to Canada from 1852 to 1857, leading about 300 to freedom. "Her most famous trip concerned a passenger who panicked and wanted to turn back. Tubman was afraid if he left he would be tortured and would tell all he knew. The unwilling passenger changed his mind when Tubman pointed a gun at his head and said `dead folks tell no tales.'"
    Said Alewitz: "Nothing will stop this historic endeavor. Harriet Tubman will live on the walls of Maryland."

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oh, I thought it was because she looks like a extra in "Avatar."

Dude it was the eighties..."Purple Rain" and "The Color Purple" had just come out...Purple WAS the new black...

Jame Brown even had a minor hit with a reboot of his classic "Say it Loud"

"Say it loud.
    I'm purple and I'm proud.
    Say it Loud.
    I'm Purple and I'm proud. One more time
    Say it loud.
    I'm purple and I'm proud. Huh.."

:):):):)

The_Color_Purple_poster.jpg

purplerainsinglecover1.jpg

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Some of you may remember this controversy....

tumblr_npbxxxsWRv1qap9gno1_1280.jpg

They wanted the artist to put a "lantern" in her hand instead...The artist refused...

Tubman mural with musket is rejected

Associated Black Charities decides artwork conveys wrong image for office

June 14, 2000|By Jamie Stiehm | Jamie Stiehm,SUN STAFF
    Saying it doesn't reflect their image, the Associated Black Charities board unanimously rejected last night a contentious mural of Harriet Tubman carrying a musket, which was intended for its downtown building at Cathedral and Chase streets.
    Mural artist Mike Alewitz and staffers from Baltimore Clayworks, which commissioned the work, searched yesterday for "appropriately visible" sites and walls in the city for the larger-than-life image, which was originally planned to stand 25 feet tall on a wall facing Meyerhoff Symphony Hall.
    "It needs to be a good public wall," Alewitz said.
    "It's fine if it's not a good fit," Deborah Bedwell, executive director of Clayworks, said before last night's vote. Clayworks, a Mount Washington nonprofit, chose Alewitz to portray the Underground Railroad leader in five works to be installed in Maryland as part of a Mid-Atlantic Arts Council project. She said his work centers on social justice themes.

pixel.gif

pixel.gif

The musket in the mural design stirred an outcry about historical truth vs. contemporary reality.
    Some suggested that Alewitz's design, showing Tubman holding a musket as she symbolically parts a Red Sea and leads slaves to freedom, condones gun violence.
    The issue triggered debate about whether it was appropriate for Associated Black Charities' public wall in a city that records at least 300 homicides a year.
    "It has started the community discussing slavery, race and history," said Donna Jones Stanley, the Associated executive director, who recommended against Alewitz's design.
    Since 1985, the Associated has been a leading presence in the black community, giving nearly $6 million in grants to programs benefiting the greater Baltimore area.
    It is agreed Tubman carried a gun for protection, but Stanley declared, "It is not historically correct. She carried a pistol, not a rifle. It's his vision, but it's our wall."
    A few urged Alewitz to substitute a staff for the musket. He refused last week, saying, "I will not disarm Harriet Tubman. ... There was nothing safe about her." Phillip Sterling and Rayford Logan wrote in "Four Took Freedom" that Tubman made 11 trips from Maryland to Canada from 1852 to 1857, leading about 300 to freedom. "Her most famous trip concerned a passenger who panicked and wanted to turn back. Tubman was afraid if he left he would be tortured and would tell all he knew. The unwilling passenger changed his mind when Tubman pointed a gun at his head and said `dead folks tell no tales.'"
    Said Alewitz: "Nothing will stop this historic endeavor. Harriet Tubman will live on the walls of Maryland."

And the rewriting of history continues.
    Pretty soon, the Nazis will have been defeated by the U.N. armed with subpoenas.

Top Bottom