• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The firebombing of Japanese cities, especially Tokyo, are problematic imo. Dropping the atomics on Nagasaki and Hiroshima, on the other hand, were necessary evils, which saved millions of lives. Not completely imo, but based on research.
    Yes. We simply traded their civilian lives for our soldiers' lives. It was well known after Okinawa and Iwo Jima that they would fight us down to the very last man on the main island, and no one would give up and allow us to win to the point that our kids would ask us "What were the Japanese like" today.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Funny how people are so willing to sacrifice... others.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Yes. We simply traded their civilian lives for our soldiers' lives. It was well known after Okinawa and Iwo Jima that they would fight us down to the very last man on the main island, and no one would give up and allow us to win to the point that our kids would ask us "What were the Japanese like" today.
    I apologize because I keep referring to this book, but "Hell to Pay" addresses Operation Downfall, the Allied (let's face it *American*) plan for the amphibious invasions of two of the Japanese Home Islands, Kyushu and Honshu. Tons of detail in the book, using previously classified American and Japanese documents. The Japanese predicted 20,000,000 combined casualties, the majority being Japanese civilians. Not included then because it was unknown at the time were American and Japanese casualties from radiation exposure from the use of tactical nukes on the beaches. It would have been a bloodbath, including, probably, my father who turned 18 in 1946.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    As an intellectual exercise, or maybe not to intellectual…

what happens if this escalates to a point where Israel drops a nuke on Tehran? What outside players will immediately strike? What players will fold due to fear? As the only the second nation to use nukes in anger, where does that put Israel internationally?

World financial issues from the initial panic over the use of nuclear weapons, after that things will go back to usual only there will be a lot of dead Iranians. None of the nuclear powers is going to get involved to cover Iran's bets with the lives of their own people.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I apologize because I keep referring to this book, but "Hell to Pay" addresses Operation Downfall, the Allied (let's face it *American*) plan for the amphibious invasions of two of the Japanese Home Islands, Kyushu and Honshu. Tons of detail in the book, using previously classified American and Japanese documents. The Japanese predicted 20,000,000 combined casualties, the majority being Japanese civilians. Not included then because it was unknown at the time were American and Japanese casualties from radiation exposure from the use of tactical nukes on the beaches. It would have been a bloodbath, including, probably, my father who turned 18 in 1946.

George Marshall, uncertain if the atomic bomb would work, was prepared and sought input from President Truman to use America's stockpiles of poison gas. Between Curtis Lemay dropping incendiaries and the navy firing gas shells and rockets loaded with persistent agents, Japan would face the historical fate of Carthage.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Unfortunately, in excess of a million of our military would be gone as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wonder where you can buy those Hamas shemaghs locally. Seems like the terrorists are wearing them by the thousands?

Might be handy, if you had to blend, should it become a necessity?

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I wonder where you can buy those Hamas shemaghs locally. Seems like the terrorists are wearing them by the thousands?

Might be handy if you had to blend, should it become a necessity?
    They do look like tablecloths from an Italian restaurant that I go to, except black check instead of red. Do you think that the kiddies would notice?

Top Bottom