• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    If Iran gets involved and Israel decided to use one their 90ish nukes they are believed to have, how would they deliver them? Are they all gravity bombs or do they have some on missiles? Hmm, I think I’m going to research that some

Kdf101

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Sullivan County
    Wikipedia, so take it for what it is worth:

Estimates of Israel's stockpile range between 80 and 400 nuclear warheads, and the country is believed to possess the ability to deliver them in several methods, including by aircraft, as submarine-launched cruise missiles, and via the Jericho series of intermediate to intercontinental range ballistic missiles.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    Wikipedia, so take it for what it is worth:

Estimates of Israel's stockpile range between 80 and 400 nuclear warheads, and the country is believed to possess the ability to deliver them in several methods, including by aircraft, as submarine-launched cruise missiles, and via the Jericho series of intermediate to intercontinental range ballistic missiles.
    No wonder Iran is using its proxies and not getting openly involved. Israel could remodel their country with that arsenal.

HoosierLife

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Greenwood
    That's true, and probably to a much higher degree with social media, where the platform picks what is available for people to choose to watch. I suppose we could ban TikTok in the US. Probably people can find ways to consume it anyway. Might be better to have more conservative viewpoints available there depending on how they might get around the algorithms. I don't feel like YouTube's algorithms hamper my ability to watch conservative content.
    I get my news from Breitbart, Drudge, and Yahoo.

Drudge is anti-Trump right leaning. But tons of articles from CNN and worse.

Breitbart is far right, but I know that going in.

Yahoo is far left. They finally brought back the comments section. But I’m pretty sure they heavily police it and most conservative viewpoints get deleted.

That is helpful, because it gives you a good idea of what the left is thinking on any given subject.

The problem with Social Media is the algorithm. It creates the “tunnel vision” someone already alluded to.

Once you start watching a certain viewpoint or type of content, the algorithm will keep serving you up similar content to keep you on the platform, consuming ads for as long as they can keep you on there.

You have to purposefully take a balanced approach to the news, learn to read between the lines, and take most things with a grain of salt.

Utilizing social media for a someone’s primary news source will lead someone as far right or left as they can go. Usually with accepting violence as being supported to suppress the other side.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    I listened to a larger clip of this talk Shapiro gave at Oxford. He shines brightest when he engages the educated idiots on college campuses. I put this here because the context of this short clip had to do with Isreali ”proportionality” when it comes to dealing with Hamas.

"Brits weren't bombing civilians" wtf? In some cases, (Dresden, for example) civilians weren't just collateral damage, they were *targeted*.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Broadly speaking, that’s the conclusion of a study released Wednesday showing 79% of young Americans say they get news daily. The survey of young people ages 16 to 40 — the older of which are known as millennials and the younger Generation Z — was conducted by Media Insight Project, a collaboration between The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and the American Press Institute.

An estimated 71% of this age group gets news daily from social media. The social media diet is becoming more varied; Facebook doesn’t dominate the way it used to. About a third or more get news each day from YouTube and Instagram, and about a quarter or more from TikTok, Snapchat and Twitter.

Counting INGO, I'd estimate that I get 2/3 of my news from social media. I'm 66. I like to use it as my news aggregator, much in the way I used to use Drudge back in the day. And boy, just like Drudge in the 90s, there is a **** ton of chaff to sort through. But that's OK; in fact, I consider it to be a feature, not a bug. It's gotten me into the habit of checking what are presented as facts, including using sources that don't share my worldview. Believe me, it saves me the embarrassment of blindly citing a story from an extreme right wing source, mainly because I agree with what it presented.

I'd like to say that I've taught this to my adult kids, one a liberal and one a conservative. But it's the other way around. Having had them catch me more than once being lazy and blindly referring to fake articles on conservative-biased sites, I've learned my lesson.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "Brits weren't bombing civilians" wtf? In some cases, (Dresden, for example) civilians weren't just collateral damage, they were *targeted*.
    Honestly, I didn’t know this fact before Ben stated it. I’m not surprised knowing what I know about how that war was fought. I consider myself as reasonably well educated, but still not the smartest guy in any given room, so, I really can’t blame her for not knowing it either. But when confronted with a paradigm challenging assertion, she leans into her ignorance. That is being willfully ignorant.

loudgroove

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 7, 2023
    Lagrange Indiana
    I like talk radio myself. Most of the times it can be more of a discussion rather than a traditional news outlet. Some event happens and it is discussed. Most have callers to call in and voice their opinions. And in just reading news articles, I also like to read the comment section for the same reason. A discussion. And it isn't a lecture on how you should be thinking.

oze

Mow Ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2018
    Fort Wayne
    Honestly, I didn’t know this fact before Ben stated it. I’m not surprised knowing what I know about how that war was fought. I consider myself as reasonably well educated, but still not the smartest guy in any given room, so, I really can’t blame her for not knowing it either. But when confronted with a paradigm challenging assertion, she leans into her ignorance. That is being willfully ignorant.
    Dresden is one example of what both sides did. Brits used incendiaries during the night, their heavy bombers arriving at just about the time that American bombers and fighters were leaving their bases to finish the job with HE and strafing during the day. RAF Bomber Command stated that the purpose was the break the will of the already broken German people, who would then pressure the government to sue for peace. I believe that it was revenge for the German attacks on London earlier in the war.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    If you knew anything about the sheer scale of the bombings and damage to the cities, you would realize the truth. Most people just don't connect the dots on their own.

Much like our bombing of Japan.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I didn’t know this fact before Ben stated it. I’m not surprised knowing what I know about how that war was fought.
    This is one of the ways our education system, and where We The People permit money and time to be spent, is directly at fault for some of this. Those who do not know history are doomed to repeat it (or at least emulate it).

Wars are ALWAYS costly in lives and treasure. They nearly always change societies on both sides, and effect generations after the war. The history of wars a nation fights should ALWAYS be a core part of the education program of a nation, along with how it came to be and its basis.

The ignorance of the person Mr. Shapiro was speaking too is not an accident. That ignorance is intended to make such minds pliable and malleable by the propaganda of the day. Propaganda now often delivered by social media.

I was struck by something Elon Musk said to Joe Rogan in their most recent interview. Musk said when he took over Twitter was essentially Pravda for the U.S. Government and left. He later said he believes all of the others essentially still are. Think about that for a moment in the context of a population ignorant of their history, what their Grandfathers witnessed in Auschwitz and on Okinawa. Consider that in the context of a generation who too often state they will not defend the USA.

Top Bottom