• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    I have recently been talking to friends in Indiana about gun laws. I spoke with a former LEO and a current volunteer LEO. Both were stunned when I told them I was planning on occasionally open carrying. They both told me this was not legal. I basically asked both of them to prove it, and neither one has yet. TBQH, I'm amazed that they have been living in Indiana and working in law enforcement much longer than I have even lived in the state. Is this a common misconception amongst officers in this state (that it is a CC state)?

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    This isn't uncommon here in Indy.. it's happened to me a few times. Thank God most IMPD know the law concerning LTCH's.. sorry to hear this happened to you also. Hopefully those police who showed up on the scene set him straight, because obviously he was ignorant of the law.. if you have an LTCH, you can open carry or conceal carry.

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    To answer your question: Yes, it is a common misconception by LE within IN. So common, I'm ashamed to admit to it.

Well, I guess I can feel a bit better helping some of my friends learn the law a bit better (since they're friends, I haven't been placed in the same position as the OP).

My friend who is a volunteer LEO did mention that he saw someone OC at a store while he was off duty. He thought it was odd, but he didn't bust the guys chops. So I guess that makes him a little bit better than officer Davis?

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I will start by admitting that I have not read through this entire thread and I don't mean to hijack but...

I was a Marion Country Sheriff's Deputy for 8 years. I was forced into a merger with IPD in January 2007, against my wishes (and IPD's) in a supposed effort to eliminate the "duplication of services". Thank you very much Sheriff Frank Anderson and Mayor Bart Peterson. Initially the Sheriff was given control over the newly formed Indy Metro P.D. as a reward for going along with Peterson's B.S. plan but Mayor Greg Ballard and the city county council changed that and took that power away from him shortly after Ballard was elected.

The Sheriff didn't like having his new toys taken away from him so he has spent the past three and a half years burning through your tax dollars hiring new "deputies", police cars, guns, radios and uniforms to put men in brown back on the street to duplicate the services he was so eager to eliminate before. What the OP experienced is a small part of the problem.

The "Deputy" you encountered today has likely not been to the Indiana Law Enforcement Academy, nor has he likely completed equivalent training. Based on the caliber of the civilian employees the current administration was hiring before the merger I would be surprised if he is capable of successfully completing the ILEA basic course. Instead these "deputies" are out patrolling the streets and writing tickets. They're not sufficiently trained and they're going to get themselves and/or taxpaying citizens hurt in the process.

The city county council should have cut Sheriff Anderson off at the knees by slashing his budget a long time ago but instead they've continued to pass larger and larger budgets since the merger. Wouldn't it make sense that if he Sheriff no longer has to maintain a fleet of 400 patrol cars and pay the salaries for 400 merit deputies he wouldn't need as much money? Blame your local politicians, if you live in Marion County tens of millions of your tax dollars are being wasted to unnecessarily employ deputies who have little training and no area of responsibility.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    If you don't report this, you really don't have the right to complain because you accepted it. I hope you will go forward. Not to get the deputy in trouble, but to help educate him and others.

+1

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    You should report this.. if things had gone his way.. you'd be in jail.. with no gun and no LTCH.

I for one would report him to his supervisor.. as Scutter stated.. ignorance of the law is no excuse.

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    Report him but know that nothing will be done of this. The thin blue line protects their own. If I do not know the law and I advise someone for it accordingly, I am held accountable. If I am LEO and I do not, there is (rarely?) no reprimand or punishment.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I was talking about the IMPD officers, I guess I should have said they had no reason to believe that the OP had broken any laws, so therefore they had no "good faith" reason to disarm him, is that better? IMPD should have explained to the deputy that he was wrong and after learning he had a LTCH told him to have a nice night. Cops just can't stop people for no reason, trust me I've been in that situation and they just can't. Quoting nonsense, which is what the deputy was doing, doesn't constitute a legal stop.

I guess you believe that as a percentage of drivers don't have a license a LEO in " good faith" could just stop every 10th car that goes by because in " good faith" he believed that the driver was illegal.

Last edited:

bytecafe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    O to OC

I recently went to dinner with some buddies and was carrying concealed when I reached up to give a buddy a high five and my shirt came down and didn't cover my weapon completely. A lady in the resturant called 911 and reported that a man had what to appear to be a gun in his pants and it bothered her.

Talk about wasted resources, an IMPD LEO showed up at the resturant and asked me to conceal my weapon. When I asked why, he said "it makes people uncomfortable. I ask the LEO if I had broken any law and he said that I needed to keep my firearm covered when in the resturant. I asked him if he could prove that I could not open carry, he said " I will be right back".

So I simply tucked in my shirt exposing my firearm completely. The officer never returned.

I would like to have met the lady that I made uncomfortable and ask her why.

GI JOE

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    By the way.. that wasn't very "Semper Fi" of him.

Oh I know right? We're on the same team but if you ever see me I'm not your "typical looking Marine"... I was wearing my led zepplin t shirt and have a kinda white guy fro on my grape. I'm 26, but I'm not a B****! He confronted me, I stood my ground which seemed to make the deputy furious lol. I'm not covering ip my weapon just because you don't like it. We all went through the proper paperwork, fingerprints etc... of obtaining an LTCH so yea... In the imortal words of Rick James...
    F*** YO COUCH HAHA

Top Bottom