• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    To those who are trying to say that the police HAVE TO respond to MWAG calls, the SCOTUS disagrees.

The police have complete discretion on which calls they respond to & how they handle the situation if they do respond.

See CASTLE ROCK V. GONZALES

THE POLICE HAVE NO DUTY TO PROTECT YOU IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTIVE ORDER OR TO COME TO YOUR AID IF YOU CALL 911.

For the record, I wholeheartedly disagree with that decision. Since the police are funded by tax dollars I feel they have entered into a contract with the community that pays those taxes & they should have to respond to the best of their ability or be found in breech of that contract. They shoud be at least financially punished just as any other breech would be.

:twocents:

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    To those who are trying to say that the police HAVE TO respond to MWAG calls, the SCOTUS disagrees.

The police have complete discretion on which calls they respond to & how they handle the situation if they do respond.

THE POLICE HAVE NO DUTY TO PROTECT YOU IF YOU HAVE A PROTECTIVE ORDER OR TO COME TO YOUR AID IF YOU CALL 911.

For the record, I wholeheartedly disagree with that decision. Since the police are funded by tax dollars I feel they have entered into a contract with the community that pays those taxes & they should have to respond to the best of their ability or be found in breech of that contract. They shoud be at least financially punished just as any other breech would be.

As an LEO I would agree that we have a duty to respond/protect to the best of our ability. That is the oath I took and I do not need the USSC to tell me otherwise. I too disagree with the decision handed down by the court. I do try to give you your money's worth ;)

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    As an LEO I would agree that we have a duty to respond/protect to the best of our ability. That is the oath I took and I do not need the USSC to tell me otherwise. I too disagree with the decision handed down by the court. I do try to give you your money's worth ;)

Thank you. :yesway: :patriot:

Life Member

Marksman
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Goshen
    This must be a state wide problem. A friend and I had a disagreement on this subject. He said you could not carry open and I said he was wrong. I called the Elkhart County Sherrif Department and after tem minutes of hearing him say we recommend you carry concealed he finally admitted open carry was legal.

Protest

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2010
    SW Michigan

I lived in Castle Rock, CO when that happened. It was a tragic incident. Gonzalez died that day in a 'suicide by cop' situation.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    Thanks to everyone who has been quoting case law. THAT is the real stuff. Terry v. Ohio, Brown v. Texas. That is what would hold up in a court if it were to get to that point, NOT our opinion that those decisions are wrong.

From this discussion I've reconfirmed "Am I being detained?" is the best way to respond to any situation like this. If the officer doesn't say, "Yes" basically immediately I say "Good day" and walk away.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)
    And some guys just shouldn't be truck drivers..

Some guys just shouldn't father children..

Some guys just shouldn't be president..

Some guys just shouldn't....

Top Bottom