• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    A big :+1: for gun owners everywhere... oh well. Maybe next time.
    Relax turbo. Maybe next time it will be your turn and you can show him how it's done.

JK4288-001.jpg

MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    Which translates to: OP did what he thought was best...this ticked some folks off because he didn't handle it the way they feel they would have.

We are all individuals. With different thoughts, views and reactions. That doesn't mean we aren't on the same team.

My personal opinion is, given the OP's description of the events, that yes...the deputy screwed the pooch. As long as he is redirected...then something good comes from it. If he doesn't...then he won't be long for that career.

Hopefully everyone learns from their mistakes. :twocents:

Will it happen again?

Hopefully not.
    Relax turbo. Maybe next time it will be your turn and you can show him how it's done.

JK4288-001.jpg

Nice attempt to post a silly picture to try and attack me for someone else's actions (or LACK THEREOF). I have an opinion (which is shared by many people on this forum) and you try to make it seem like I am the one sticking my chest out. Nice try TURBO. It seems like you are the keyboard cowboy.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Cop harasses citizen engaged in no illegal activity

Instead of exercising his rights and behaving like a free citizen, citizen consents to be detained and having his property seized, for engaging in no illegal activity

IMPD shows up, realizes no law has been broken, returns citizen's property and goes on their way.

Instead of pursuing corrective action against bad cop, citizen instead chooses to take a course of no effective action.

Bad cop learns nothing but that he can harass and intimidate citizens for breaking no law, will do it again.

There ya go, Cliff's notes.

You forgot one thing: OP harps at INGOers for sticking up for him, reminds everybody this is not high school.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nice attempt to post a silly picture to try and attack me for someone else's actions (or LACK THEREOF). I have an opinion (which is shared by many people on this forum) and you try to make it seem like I am the one sticking my chest out. Nice try TURBO. It seems like you are the keyboard cowboy.
    You're entitled to your "opinion". As is the OP. He did what he thought was best. You don't agree with it...great.

I give him credit for taking the action he did. Most people would have done nothing.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Should the armchair quarterbacks, hotheads, pseudo lawyers, and all the like on INGO take a breath and realize that people commit mistakes on a daily basis, despite their own perception that they are perfect?

:ingo:

Will YOU (& every other LEO) be as lenient with the next person you arrest for something they HONESTLY didn't know was against the law? If I tell you I HONESTLY didn't know the speed limit had changed from 55 to 45 will YOU (& every other LEO) let me go? Will you & every other LEO let someone go because they HONESTLY didn't realize they needed a LTCH just to take their handgun to the range, which seems to be a fairly common misconception of the law among the general public?

Ignorance of the law is no excuse...unless it's the people who are supposed to be enforcing the law, then it's A-OK.

Not wanting to take up a whole lot of bandwidth with your rather extended post, so I whittled it down considerably.

:ingo:

:lol2:

My LEO buddies down here tell me that they know open carry is legal but you should expect to be hassled if you do. They get a lot of "man with a gun" complaints because it's they citizenry ("sheeple") that need to be educated. They would much rather that you didn't advertise.

So they admit that they will hassle (IOW, harass) people that they KNOW are doing nothing wrong because they get "tired" of dealing with MWAG calls? Yeah, I guess it IS easier for your lazy "LEO buddies" to intimidate law-abiding citizens into following their own MADE UP "LAWS" than to actually do the job they get paid to do. But, according to jbusch they will get a free pass because they can always officially claim "I didn't know". :dunno:

Jubbie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Northwest Indiana (slacker)
    I've been told as well by a cop that I'd get hassled if I open carry. If a citizen calls in an MWAG, then yeah the cop has to respond, hopefully informing the person who calls that I was/am carrying completely legal. It's when the cop takes it upon his/her self to get in my face without anyone having called. Happened once when all I did was walk into a Subway, nobody said anything to the cop, he just got up and gave me crap. He even knew it was legal, just felt like forcing his (police state) opinion on me.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Or they could, I don't know, maybe train the 911 dispatchers to ask a question or two: "You say there's a MWAG? Is he doing anything illegal? You say he's buying coffee?!?! We'll send a squad car right out!" The claim that they HAVE to respond to a MWAG call is pure weapons-grade bolognium.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Or they could, I don't know, maybe train the 911 dispatchers to ask a question or two: "You say there's a MWAG? Is he doing anything illegal? You say he's buying coffee?!?! We'll send a squad car right out!" The claim that they HAVE to respond to a MWAG call is pure weapons-grade bolognium.
    Sheriff won't let them make those decisions. I have a buddy of mine who medically retired from here and decided to take a job as a dispatcher for something to do. Well, he was screening all sorts of calls and being a cop on the phone...it was great. Sadly, he was let go because dispatchers are not supposed to do that. They take the call and give it to us. Heck, when they dispatch us on a MWG call, many times that is all they will get from the caller before they hang up. We then ask the dispatcher to call the complainant back for further info but rarely do they answer the blocked call. So we go to a run of a person with a gun with ZERO information. That in itself leads to many misunderstandings (not with just MWG calls).

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sheriff won't let them make those decisions. I have a buddy of mine who medically retired from here and decided to take a job as a dispatcher for something to do. Well, he was screening all sorts of calls and being a cop on the phone...it was great. Sadly, he was let go because dispatchers are not supposed to do that. They take the call and give it to us. Heck, when they dispatch us on a MWG call, many times that is all they will get from the caller before they hang up. We then ask the dispatcher to call the complainant back for further info but rarely do they answer the blocked call. So we go to a run of a person with a gun with ZERO information. That in itself leads to many misunderstandings (not with just MWG calls).

That sounds like a colossal PITA. Maybe the solution is to randomly slap the callers upside the head for placing stupid calls.

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Or simply inform the MWAG caller that the MWAG was not breaking any laws... give them a quick rundown on Indiana's LTCH... so maybe they won't make unnecessary calls in the future and be a little less SHEEPLEish.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    The police can't ignore a man with a gun call, and they're not gonna assume that you have your LTCH, and if you have one they're not gonna assume that you're A-OK then either until after they talk to you. Denny is correct in how man with a gun calls come out. It's usually

911, what's your emergency?

SEND THE POLICE THERE IS A MAN WITH A GUN!!!! *click*

That was one of many calls that were placed to 911 when there was a man ocing in the mall the other day with his family doing nothing but shopping...that was the call that was placed just before Officer Jake Laird was killed by a guy who went crazy and killed his own family.

Mr Anderson (the killer) had his LTCH

Tripp11

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Perhaps such MWAG calls would be avoided if the local and state authorities would start an educational campaign about 2A rights and the legal authority to carry a handgun with the LTCH.

At the end of the day though, people should just use a little common sense BEFORE calling 911. People should not be calling 911 and reporting a MWAG when said man has a firearm holstered and is going about normal course of business. Now, if said man has his weapon unholstered and in hand, by all means call. If said man is engaged in some dispute and is brandishing his firearm, by all means call.

With a little bit of common sense, our local LEO's wouldn't be burdened with so many silly MWAG runs.

Top Bottom