Goodbye Amazon its been a nice relationship...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch

Noland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Elkhart Co.
    This thread got me curious so I checked to see how many Amazon orders I made in 2013. It was 81.
    So at the new rate I would spend less than 25 cents more per order for Prime. But that doesn't tell the whole story since I also get to borrow Kindle library books and watch Prime Video whenever I want.

It really depends on usage. I know people who don't own a Kindle and only order from Amazon 2 or 3 times per year. Prime would be a waste of maney for them. For me, I think it is a decent value even at the new, higher price. Their agreement to collect IN sales tax will cost me a lot more this year than raising the cost of Prime will.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I have a Prime account, and it's worth it to me even at $99 a year. We order plenty from Amazon, including lots of small purchases at Christmas time. Prime shipping pays for itself. The other thing to think about is that Amazon employs a whole bunch of folks in Plainfield, Whitestown, and maybe a few other places, in Indiana. It may be a big, online retailer, but it still puts food on the table for Hoosiers, and I'm good with that.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oooh capitalism! They offer something for a price, and the prospective customer decides whether to buy it! Oogabooga! It's a product. Figure out for yourself whether it's worth what they're charging. Buy it or don't. No need to defend your decision.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have a Prime account, and it's worth it to me even at $99 a year. We order plenty from Amazon, including lots of small purchases at Christmas time. Prime shipping pays for itself. The other thing to think about is that Amazon employs a whole bunch of folks in Plainfield, Whitestown, and maybe a few other places, in Indiana. It may be a big, online retailer, but it still puts food on the table for Hoosiers, and I'm good with that.

Yep! The Amazon warehouse in Clark Co. actually gave my brother-in-law a good paying job.......he hasn't called and asked to borrow money for months! Therefore, I LOVE Amazon!:):

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I enjoy the free two day shipping with Prime, but what I really enjoy is the NEXT DAY or SAME DAY shipping option for $3.99. I love ordering something and having it delivered to me without having to run an errand in traffic! Bring on the drones!

I got an external hard drive case DELIVERED in just under 6 hours after ordering!! I ordered it about 8am and I live about 2 miles from the Amazon Fulfillment Center in Plainfield. :rockwoot:

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.7%
    29   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    1. They raised Prime $20. I see this as reasonable for the amount of free shipping it provides.

Uhhh. . . .if they're charging you an EXTRA $20. . . Shipping ain't free. It's all about marketing. Gotta make you think you're getting a deal. If they take the profit you've provided and help fund anti-gun initiatives is it still a bargain?

Consider the bigger picture, not just your own self interest.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    I understand the frustration, but I am sure there were other orders that were higher priority than yours, such as prime orders, which people paid the extra $79 to have that benefit. I wouldn't exactly blame amazon because people to advantage of the prime perks.

True. Just don't announce to me that you expect my shipment to be sent in 1-2 days or whatever the terms were only to sit on the order for 10 days because I didn't pay an extra $79 fee for prioritizing my order. But, it's either here nor there as I really have no need for Amazon 99% of the time anyway and only went with them to save a few dollars. Lesson learned.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use Amazon from time to time but they are my last resort. If we run all of the Brick and Mortar, and Mom and Pop's out of business then Amazon won't have to be as cheap in the years to come.

Because the rest of the internet would cease to exist?

I don't get the concept of pay more now so you won't pay more later.

I do take into consideration more than price, but I buy where I get good service for a good price. I'm not interested in supporting a less proficient alternative so they don't go out of business...

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    I will still continue to use the Prime membership. It has more than paid for itself. I don't stream many videos, maybe 5 or 6 times a year when the DTV is out for some reason. The shipping is what does it for me. I like having a good idea and some control on when things are going to get delivered.

I live in a small rural area. We had an electric heater go out in the bedroom the other day. All the local "marts" have gotten rid of the heaters for the year and have swimwear out. In February/March in Indiana and I can find a 2-piece but no heater.:xmad: I was able to get a better heater than any of the local places usually carried for a cheaper price than most other online retailers and have it delivered the next day.

Orders so far this year are 30 in 2014
    167 in 2013
    69 in 2012

Thanks as well to whoever mentioned the smile program. I did not know about this or what it was. I just signed up and chose the NRA Civil Rights Defense Fund. I did a search for NRA and it came up with a few. .5% is much better than nothing for items that I was going to purchase anyway. It adds up. If anyone else decides to sign up don't forget to change your bookmarks to point to the right place.
    About AmazonSmile: Program details and FAQ

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Did I miss the post that explained how amazon is anti gun?

I think it is because they stopped selling guns to inner city children via Amazon Prime, cheaper than you could buy from the trunk of your local gang bangers. They've got zero respect for the rights of the citizens of this country.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I think it is because they stopped selling guns to inner city children via Amazon Prime, cheaper than you could buy from the trunk of your local gang bangers. They've got zero respect for the rights of the citizens of this country.

Is this post missing some purple??

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Is this post missing some purple??

Harold stole my crayon...

fxljOE5.jpg

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I renewed my Prime membership about a month ago, before the increase. I ain't worried. Amazon is fantastic. So fantastic that I get frantic when I order things from elsewhere and it takes days just for them to ship the damn thing. At least with Amazon I know that the vast majority of my orders are shipped same day or next day, and I get the perk of faster shipping. Order on a Monday at noon have it here Tuesday or Wednesday. Can't beat that. Go to eBay if you wish, lazy ass sellers wait 4 days just to put something in a box and put it in the mail... ;)

Top Bottom