Goodbye Amazon its been a nice relationship...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does Amazon sell igloos?

41IFKoh6cHL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Pet-Gui...?ie=UTF8&qid=1394729499&sr=8-2&keywords=igloo

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Amazon.com Help: Weapons

To me it doesn't look 'anti-gun' as much as 'don't want to screw with the various regulations that change by state, county, and city as a patchwork all over the US and get hemmed up for selling something to someone where it's illegal". How many gunbroker accounts refuse to ship to CA just because they don't want to bother learning all the odd restrictions they have and make sure they are in compliance?

The OP say Prime is being raised "again", but per Amazon its been $79 for 9 years, when they first started offering the service. Given fuel was $1.70/gallon when they started it vs $3.60 today, I'm going to guess their shipping costs have went up a bit. I'm not going to cry in my pillow over a $20 a year increase. What do you buy today routinely that costs the same as it did 9 years ago? Ammo? Gas? Groceries? I bet its went up more than $20/yr for any of those items.

As pointed out, they will donate 1/2% of sales to many 2nd amendment friendly charities if you choose to do so.

So, I'm still waiting for the OP to tell me how they are anti-gun and why I should boycott them.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Again.....really. Where did that come from. I hope that was a humorous jab SD 2
    I refer to folks who just do instead of look. If there are better/less expensive options to be had then they have to (1)..look for them..(2) re-train in the use of the keyboard...(3) equals putting forth some effort.
    That is what I am referring to.
    Any individual that chooses to use them I am OK with. Just saying there is a large group of folks that are used to the program and stay with it.
    My wife has a very good friend that works for the Amazon locally in a high position. She hates the company. Hates it.

It wasn't a humorous jab, CM. I took offense to your comment. I know it's not usually your style, but your comment came off as seriously judgmental toward anyone who does not happen to hold the same opinion as you.

I shop where it benefits me the most, and I do look around. Sometimes that means Amazon, sometimes it means other places.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    I think the OP is a little butthurt.

You said they raised the cost of prime again....again what like 9 years ago?

You said they dont offer firearm accessories....uhhh have you ever even been on amazon?

As some previously mentioned amazon.smile. Its a great way to give back and there are great 2A supporters on that. Wow amazon sounds like the devils store to me...purple is implied.

EDIT: bluei's beat me.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    I couldn't disagree more. I just sent the $25 increase to my brother and we said the same thing - "fine." We order enough that it still makes it well worth the membership cost.

shutupandtakemymoney_zps3bbbd52e.jpeg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It wasn't a humorous jab, CM. I took offense to your comment. I know it's not usually your style, but your comment came off as seriously judgmental toward anyone who does not happen to hold the same opinion as you.

I shop where it benefits me the most, and I do look around. Sometimes that means Amazon, sometimes it means other places.

Well then I guess my opinion was not aimed at you. Did you read deeper and see the part that stated use it if you like it and then explaining myself.
    In looking again I can see how some would have "Generalized" my post but really, not aimed at you or anyone in this thread. I seemed to have "Generalized" myself.
    I have heard good and bad about them.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I think the OP is a little butthurt.

You said they raised the cost of prime again....again what like 9 years ago?

You said they dont offer firearm accessories....uhhh have you ever even been on amazon?

As some previously mentioned amazon.smile. Its a great way to give back and there are great 2A supporters on that. Wow amazon sounds like the devils store to me...purple is implied.

EDIT: bluei's beat me.

Yeah, 9 years.

Here's the email I got this morning:

We are writing to provide you advance notice that the price of your Prime membership will be increasing. The annual rate will be $99 when your membership renews on May 5, 2014.

Even as fuel and transportation costs have increased, the price of Prime has remained the same for nine years. Since 2005, the number of items eligible for unlimited free Two-Day Shipping has grown from one million to over 20 million. We also added unlimited access to over 40,000 movies and TV episodes with Prime Instant Video and a selection of over 500,000 books to borrow from the Kindle Owners' Lending Library.

Seems in the last 9 years there's been plenty of benefits added to Prime membership that more than makes up for the $20 increase. Not Amazon's problem if people choose not to take advantage of them. I save well more than the cost of the Prime membership in shipping every year.

I love Amazon. About 90% of the time they are cheaper than any other retailer too. Even if they were anti-gun, it wouldn't bother me.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    They could've doubled it and it would still be worth it to me. And I've bought firearm accessories there a few times.

No way I could give them up. I've probably saved thousands on my camera equipment alone, and I'm not even a professional

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Well then I guess my opinion was not aimed at you. Did you read deeper and see the part that stated use it if you like it and then explaining myself.
    In looking again I can see how some would have "Generalized" my post but really, not aimed at you or anyone in this thread. I seemed to have "Generalized" myself.
    I have heard good and bad about them.
    Here's what you wrote:

We stopped using them a while back. Same reasons.
    The mindless will stay in lock-step if only for the convenience involved.

And I don't really see any thing in this that separates the mindless from the non-mindless. Just exactly what is one supposed to use to determine who is mindless and not mindless based on this? Looks like anybody that continues to purchase from Amazon (stay in lock-step?) is mindless. :dunno:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here's what you wrote:

And I don't really see any thing in this that separates the mindless from the non-mindless. Just exactly what is one supposed to use to determine who is mindless and not mindless based on this? Looks like anybody that continues to purchase from Amazon (stay in lock-step?) is mindless. :dunno:

I have already said I generalized and stepped back. What more should I do to appease for an opinion that I have looked at and realized what I did.

If you think I am lumping you or anyone else into this then you are mistaken. I have explained it.

LANShark42

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Evansville
    I have spent more money than I care to admit to on Amazon over the past few years. I've come to the conclusion that the "free" shipping is anything but that when you factor in both the cost of the Prime membership and the item cost of non-Prime vendors. Their streaming capability has little value to me, as I can generally not find any of their offerings worth watching. Count me among the FORMER Amazon customers.

maddawg138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    La Porte
    i had to get rid of my prime due to some financial issues i had at the time and unfortunately my membership was due to renew. I really enjoyed that free 2 day delivery as I used it all the time as well as letting my brother use it from time to time when he would want to order something. but the increase on the membership is still worth it IMO especially with all the access you get to movies, books and the shipping. I'll take it any day of the week.

As far as gun accessories, i just received 3 packages in the mail (one from a vendor 2 from amazon) all for my AR and Amazon was the ONLY site that i could find that didn't have outrageous prices or the right color I wanted (OD Green).

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I just ordered some screwdrivers from Amazon. They were about 10 cents each more than ebay but I chose Amazon over ebay this time. I like that Amazon is a good aggregate of stuff to shop through. I still shop around for the best deals though.

jkaetz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're not in a rush, anything that is available with Prime shipping is free for orders over $35 anyway. I had a 6 month free subscription and used it generously, but most everything could have been purchased with free shipping anyway, it would have just taken a couple extra days. If free shipping is the only reason you have a prime subscription, you should make sure you really need $100 worth of free shipping. Of course if you're taking advantage of the other prime benefits then it's not so bad.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If you're not in a rush, anything that is available with Prime shipping is free for orders over $35 anyway. I had a 6 month free subscription and used it generously, but most everything could have been purchased with free shipping anyway, it would have just taken a couple extra days. If free shipping is the only reason you have a prime subscription, you should make sure you really need $100 worth of free shipping. Of course if you're taking advantage of the other prime benefits then it's not so bad.

As you pointed out, it is not just free shipping but two day shipping as well... usually faster than regular free shipping and you do not have to make a minimum purchase.

I enjoy the streaming service, the free kindle books and the time and gas I save by not driving around town to make purchases I can make on Amazon. This is not entirely new, the idea of a price increase for prime has been out there for awhile. I will renew when the time comes.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I "mindlessly" got prime for student rate, 50% off. Nice to not pay shipping charges. I would not have paid full for prime because I rarely order from them, it's not worth it for me. Being called mindless for using a service is like *****ing about people who ask/pay too much for stuff in the classifieds. Who gives a ratsass? I know it's not worth it/overpriced/they raised their rates again/whatever. Sheesh I think primarily that it's human nature to *****.

Top Bottom