• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    Not trying to fling turds here, but if so many people can constantly talk about their God, why can't I swear? I'm serious.

You can. If people are offended by it, so what...just ignore them.

Your freedom of expression is more valuable than someone elses offense.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    At this point, the thread seems to have devolved into both sides talking past each other.

At least we've got an icon for that: :blahblah:

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I admire your apathetic approach. I have a very difficult time remaining apathetic about anything. I can try and try, but my passion for societal norm qestioning eventually explodes into an opinionated frenzy. :laugh:

It's not apathetic, it's apatheistic. I am very passionate about a lot of things, just not religion, deities, or lack therof.

I am so far off of the societal norm in so many ways and have been for so much of my life that I lost my passion for defending it by the time I was 20 or so. As somewhat of an overachiever I channel most of my energies into making my life and the lives of those important to me, and to a lesser extent society in general as good as I can. Those who disapprove of who I am without taking the time to get who know who I am are not important to me at all since they've been a part of the background noise of my life since I was aware of being different than most.

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Maybe some of us realize how futile an enterprise it is to dissuade people - however deranged or mentally-ill they may be - who have built their entire lives around this mythical concept of the all-powerful invisible eternal man in the sky who stands ready to punish or reward... people who, for the most part, TRULY believe in that sort of insanity and in a less civilized age would be more than willing to kill those who don't indulge in their satisfying and contra-indicated delusions.

I'm not willing to deal with the onslaught of 'well-wishers' and soul-savers telling me that I'm surely resigned to an eternal high-temp cook-out simply because I don't share their deluded worldview and have, in not sharing their delusions, angered the mythical and petulant object of their desiring and fearful hallucination.

As I understand my life to be the only one I'll ever get in the history of time, I feel that I've a few better things to do than to try to reason or debate with anyone who refuses to take into consideration a different worldview, one without their precious delusion, for fear of de-stabilizing their own sense of self-identity or for whatever reason that they choose to ignore the world around them and to ascribe the beauty and mystery of nature to some incompetent, rageful, jealous deity. Life's too short by a far mile to spend my time doing that. So, yeah, when it comes to a losing proposition as you're proposing, I'm thinking that some people can understand the futility of such a proposition.

Don't poke the hornets. Let them build their hive and die out, but in the meanwhile, live side by side with them neither stinging nor being stung. In the end, one set shall surely stand vindicated.
    For as young as you are, you sure do speak like a sage.
    Where in the hell did you learn to write like that?

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    For reference's sake, the words in our cuss filter at present are:

Hope this helps people to avoid them.

HEY!!! That's more the George Carlin's list of 7 words you can't say on TV! I always thought that was the standard...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    For as young as you are, you sure do speak like a sage.
    Where in the hell did you learn to write like that?

Whatchoo talkin' 'bout, [strike]Willis[/strike] Jimbo?

Seriously, I just don't much see the point in trying to hold a debate, as the outcome is so predictable I could call it with my eyes closed.

I don't think I'm terribly wise or anything, I've just seen the results of that sort of discussion, particularly on the intarwobs.

This isn't the time or place if even a time or place could be found.

This is a place to talk guns and shop, not to discuss the relative merits and demerits of religious belief or lack of it. That's what steakhouses and churches were made for. :twocents:

As for my ability to write, I have to give credit to all my English teachers, but especially Ms. Carol Pigman, of North High School. She took my blunted and dull wit and sharpened it to a rapier's point, and for that I am eternally grateful to her.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Oh i see :dunno: Im a slow learner :dunno: This > **************** is acceptable but $ is not .... Ok sorry for the trouble!!:ingo:

That, sir, is a fantastic vintage, a classic Bouchard-Montrachet whine...
    might I suggest some lovely smoked Gouda or blocked and aged Mozzarella cheese to go with it? :D

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    $ is OK in most words:

$hooting
    $eatbelt
    $askatchewan
    $nugglebunny
    $piteful
    $amot

(well, maybe not $nugglebunny.) ;)

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Oh i see :dunno: Im a slow learner :dunno: This > **************** is acceptable but $ is not .... Ok sorry for the trouble!!:ingo:

That may be a bit of an understatement.

Try this:

1. ****
    What word did I just say? Yeah, I didn't think you knew.

2. $***

What word did I just say? Yeah, I figured you might know that one since a dollar sign is an 's' with a line through it.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Still waiting on your reply about your comment about how gun owners get some things wrong.

Your a good aclu rep. You just refuse to awnser a question if it doesnt suit your agenda.
    I'm not sure what your asking about...please point it out again.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism. Atheism is not believing in God. Not believing in God is easy -- you can't prove a negative, so there's no work to do. You can't prove that there isn't an elephant inside the trunk of my car. You sure? How about now? Maybe he was just hiding before. Check again. Did I mention that my personal heartfelt definition of the word "elephant" includes mystery, order, goodness, love and a spare tire?

So, anyone with a love for truth outside of herself has to start with no belief in God and then look for evidence of God. She needs to search for some objective evidence of a supernatural power. All the people I write e-mails to often are still stuck at this searching stage. The atheism part is easy.

But, this "This I Believe" thing seems to demand something more personal, some leap of faith that helps one see life's big picture, some rules to live by. So, I'm saying, "This I believe: I believe there is no God."

Having taken that step, it informs every moment of my life. I'm not greedy. I have love, blue skies, rainbows and Hallmark cards, and that has to be enough. It has to be enough, but it's everything in the world and everything in the world is plenty for me. It seems just rude to beg the invisible for more. Just the love of my family that raised me and the family I'm raising now is enough that I don't need heaven. I won the huge genetic lottery and I get joy every day.

Believing there's no God means I can't really be forgiven except by kindness and faulty memories. That's good; it makes me want to be more thoughtful. I have to try to treat people right the first time around.

Believing there's no God stops me from being solipsistic. I can read ideas from all different people from all different cultures. Without God, we can agree on reality, and I can keep learning where I'm wrong. We can all keep adjusting, so we can really communicate. I don't travel in circles where people say, "I have faith, I believe this in my heart and nothing you can say or do can shake my faith." That's just a long-winded religious way to say, "shut up," or another two words that the FCC likes less. But all obscenity is less insulting than, "How I was brought up and my imaginary friend means more to me than anything you can ever say or do." So, believing there is no God lets me be proven wrong and that's always fun. It means I'm learning something.

Believing there is no God means the suffering I've seen in my family, and indeed all the suffering in the world, isn't caused by an omniscient, omnipresent, omnipotent force that isn't bothered to help or is just testing us, but rather something we all may be able to help others with in the future. No God means the possibility of less suffering in the future.

Believing there is no God gives me more room for belief in family, people, love, truth, beauty, sex, Jell-O and all the other things I can prove and that make this life the best life I will ever have.
    - Penn Jillette

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Hey you could go to the other Indiana site and cry about all the injustices that you have to endure here on INGO.. That will leave more bandwidth for gun related post here.

$ome men you just can't reach...

I really don't understand it, if I was so unhappy about being some place unless I was being kept there by force I would just smile and leave..

Oh by the way....

GOD BLESS YOU!!!:)

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I'm going to pray for 360's soul tomorrow at church. That way he has SOME chance for eternal happiness living in the Kingdom of heaven with The Almighty.

I suggest everyone do the same. He needs all the help he can get.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Hey you could go to the other Indiana site and cry about all the injustices that you have to endure here on INGO.. That will leave more bandwidth for gun related post here.

men you just can't reach...

I really don't understand it, if I was so unhappy about being some place unless I was being kept there by force I would just smile and leave..

Oh by the way....

GOD BLESS YOU!!!:)
    :ugh:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I'm going to pray for 360's soul tomorrow at church. That way he has SOME chance for eternal happiness living in the Kingdom of heaven with The Almighty.

I suggest everyone do the same. He needs all the help he can get.
    Interesting how you "know" what I need.

I wouldn't waste your breath. Just enjoy eating your Peeps.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom