• ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What really happened was only a few tin-hat nutters were really that concerned. There was a lot of work done in advance and a lot of code review.

The difference is that was handled by a lot of competent engineers, whereas this is being handled by bungling politicians.

And there's probably more lines of text in those legal documents that need sorted out than there were lines of code to review.

And I commented before noticing someone already made my comment.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What really happened was only a few tin-hat nutters were really that concerned. There was a lot of work done in advance and a lot of code review.

The difference is that was handled by a lot of competent engineers, whereas this is being handled by bungling politicians.

And there's probably more lines of text in those legal documents that need sorted out than there were lines of code to review.

Well... you do know nothing happened y2k, because there was a **** ton of work done in the years before that.

Yes, there was a lot of work done ahead of time that took care of the problems. I know that.

But I also know that there are millions of good, smart British, French, German, Italian, Irish and many others across the pond that will see that the apple cart gets tipped as little as possible.

And there will be many there to catch the apples that do fall out. Sure, some will hit the ground and there will be issues, but financial institutions, shippers, suppliers, vendors all will be guided by that amazing invisible hand guided by the accumulated self interest of people and companies to carry on.

I am not saying there won't be issues, but the fearmongering is way over the top.

Regards,

Doug

PS - Sheesh. Fine! Ya'll nag me on that analogy. Next time I'll use, "...and the world will fall about if Trump is elected!":p

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    But I also know that there are millions of good, smart British, French, German, Italian, Irish and many others across the pond that will see that the apple cart gets tipped as little as possible.

And there will be many there to catch the apples that do fall out. Sure, some will hit the ground and there will be issues, but financial institutions, shippers, suppliers, vendors all will be guided by that amazing invisible hand guided by the accumulated self interest of people and companies to carry on.

I am not saying there won't be issues, but the fearmongering is way over the top.

Sorry, not buying it. The EU has an interest in making an example of England as a warning to others that are currently considering leaving the union. Leaving it up to individuals/companies/etc. to freely transact would be fine, but the EU bureaucracy actively interferes in the internal and external affairs of its members.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry, not buying it. The EU has an interest in making an example of England as a warning to others that are currently considering leaving the union. Leaving it up to individuals/companies/etc. to freely transact would be fine, but the EU bureaucracy actively interferes in the internal and external affairs of its members.

The EU government has a burr up its butt, the European people and companies DO NOT! Those companies and businesses will find workarounds to any impediments put in their way.

They won't get around all roadblocks, of course. I'm not saying it'll be 100%, but the withdrawal won't be nearly as bad as the doomsayers are making it out to be.

Regards,

Doug

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Honestly, the people that voted to leave probably haven't consider the repercussion in doing so. While they ultimately might know what they think they want, getting there with the least amount of problems, might be difficult.
    England's entire economy is tied up in the EU. An exit would be quite interesting, as the EU could literally hold them hostage for economic deals. The alternative for the English would be to seek deals abroad. FAR abroad, making already expensive goods, more so. England ain't the United States; it can't stand on its own.

The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world according to what I've read. I think they certainly could stand on their own if they choose.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    The UK is the 5th largest economy in the world according to what I've read. I think they certainly could stand on their own if they choose.

Sure, but all their EU trade agreements would (will?) all have to be renegotiated. That takes a lot of time, and during that time businesses will suffer. I imagine that most small businesses can't take that kind of sustained hit.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So crash out, tell Brussels to p*** off and take the €44 billion blackmail payment and use it to cushion the blow to those vulnerable businesses

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    SO...a couple of days ago 8 Labour party members crashed out to form an "independent group." Today they were joined by 3 Tories.

Basically Labour's leadership wants Brexit but doesn't want the blame so they are dancing around. The Labour members who crashed out all want a second vote. The Tories are "Remainers" and crashed out for that reason. They are now tied for 4th largest party in Parliament.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    SO...a couple of days ago 8 Labour party members crashed out to form an "independent group." Today they were joined by 3 Tories.

Basically Labour's leadership wants Brexit but doesn't want the blame so they are dancing around. The Labour members who crashed out all want a second vote. The Tories are "Remainers" and crashed out for that reason. They are now tied for 4th largest party in Parliament.

Now just you wait a minute here.

Are you saying, intimating, implying, or suggesting that a politician would want to soak up all the good news and dodge all the bad...???

Shocked! Shocked I tell you. To even suggest such a thing...

I'm still shocked!

Doug;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    A petition to "cancel Brexit" has reached 1 million signatures.

Sorry, chaps. You already had a vote.

Well. I don't know about the legalities of that. But nevertheless, in this age of ignoring protocols, procedures, and laws, they'll push through whatever the people with the power want pushed through.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They are getting in a tizzy over nothing.

The naysayers are saying, "We don't know what we'll have if we don't have an agreement." :ugh:

OF COURSE YOU DO! You will have a clean break with absolutely, positively no limitations by treaty with the EU. You will be 100% totally free. You will be able to make trade deals with any other nation on earth without any regard to what the EU wants. You will have to trade with the EU without any protections or discounts. They will have to trade with you without any protections or discounts.

This fear of the "unknown" is totally whacked, as it is NOT unknown.

The fearmongering is insane.

Regards,

Doug

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    but... but... but... that means the .gov wont be involved and that is sssscccaaarrreeeeyyyyyy!

we need them, we DEPEND on them, think of the queen... :p

in all seriouness they will be fine!
    meh... moving on.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It would appear that legally, England may have already left the EU, but both sides are pretending otherwise.

In summary, he includes the following:

(i) The application by the Prime Minister for an extension of time until June 30th under the proviso to Article 50, made on or about the 14th March 2019, was legally valid, but was rejected by the EU.

(ii) This was followed by the Agreement proposed by the EU. It did not comply with the terms of the proviso; nor was Article 50 referred to or relied on by the EU. It was not effective to stop the Article 50 process running up to and including the 29th March at 11 p.m. Whichever way one looks at it, the Agreement was either unlawful or made for an unlawful purpose or ultra vires .That means that the UK left the EU on the 29th March 2019 by default as there was no valid or lawful impediment to prevent it.

However, wouldn’t it be a superb outcome for Mrs May to have taken us out of the EU by accident without realising, and therefore to have resigned by mistake, should she carry out that avowed intent? She would become the ultimate, Universal Champion clusterf*ck politician of all time, although she’s probably made that podium already.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedMurph
    Top Bottom