• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    20 years from now we'll still be reading stories about voting "no" on the latest Brexit and delaying it again.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Boris Johnson is fighting hard to make it this year. I'd put odds at 50/50 of it happening, but the MPs are fighting tooth-and-nail (along with the media) against it. Again, sounds familiar.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's plenty of Indian money in the UK, and as the old saying goes,"money talks, the bigger it is the louder it talks." That's just one of the global players.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Brexit represents a shift in money and power, leadership is always uncomfortable about the unknown when it comes to these things. I rather doubt that the various UK MPs are the ones makng the decisions, lots of behind the scenes players from around the globe weighing in.

I see it as analagous to the revolving door between congress and K street, only in that case it is between UK gov't and the EU ruling structure. The elites see what they had planned to be the next rung on their ladder to power and priviledge being closed off to them by Brexit

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    So, why has Brexit still not happened three years after the public voted it in? Politicians that don't represent the public will:

vCq18rk.jpg

Because it's insanely hard to "disconnect" and restore all those old border checks and trade rules.

Imagine the hue and cries if we ever really sought to repeal ObamaCare. Same thing. Once the ratchet clicks, they don't like to un-click it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The issue is how you look at things in timing.

I believe that WITH an agreement Great Britain will have a better time of it over the next two (2) - four (4) years.

However, I believe that WITHOUT an agreement (what Boris Johnson is willing to do) things will be much more difficult over the short term of two (2) - four (4) years BUT much better in the long run, say 10+ years.

They are all freaking out over BS nonsense. "What about the border with Ireland? What will happen?" How about, "Uh, nothing." Just because things change overnight does not mean that the border guards/whatever must change the way things have been operating for the last several decades. Legal? No. Functional? Hell yeah! Eventually they would have to do something there, but it isn't like the world would end if the border remained open for a time. It shouldn't, but it wouldn't kill them. We have an extremely porous border for over 1,000 miles with Canada. People cross all the time though Minnesota, Montana, North Dakota and Washington. Should they? No. Does America or Canada suffer in agony? I think not.

The European government bureaucrats are terrified of GB leaving and then succeeding. It would show that it could be done for countries like Greece, Italy, and others. So they won't do a damned thing to help and everything possible to exacerbate the situation. The British people are just terrified of the doom & gloom naysayers from the remain group. They aren't thinking or discussing the long term benefits for Britain to forge its own trade treaties with other nations in their own self interest without having to run everything by the EU.

I love Boris Johnson! The only one not afraid to just say, "F it! We're leaving with or without an agreement. It's up to the Europeans to come to the table. I'm fine with breaking free." Sadly, Theresa May didn't lay a strong foundation for him to stand on. The deal she struck sucks which is why it was rejected THREE TIMES! It SUCKS, which is why parliament rejected it. It hasn't been changed since, as the Europeans have refused to come back to the table. My understanding is that there is a clause in it that basically ties GB to the EU in perpetuity without any voting rights! Of course it was rejected. Now with everyone terrified about a no deal exit they may actually sign the stupid thing.

I hope Boris kicks all their butts!

Regards,

Doug

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    I'll give Boris Johnson credit. He's trying to implement the people's will over a LOT of opposition. The defenders of the status quo have been willing to violate a lot of norms to stop Brexit. Well, two can play that game: Boris Johnson to sabotage EU if forced to delay Brexit. The EU is vulnerable because they require 100% consensus under a lot of their rules. Just start obstructing everything.

The EU will lose big if Britain leaves since Britain pays billions more per year than they get back, so they've been fighting Brexit. Now, they will lose if Britain remains. Should be interesting.

Edit: Better info link.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I just hope the troubles don't return to Ireland.
    England has ****ed them up enough over the centuries.

With a little luck this will push north Ireland to join free Ireland and reunite the island.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Another thought to consider is that if Britain leaves without an agreement, then there will be no trade agreement between GB & Europe.

This may seem obvious but these two (2) economic powers MUST trade with one another. This means that there would be tremendous pressure on both sides to create a new agreement and that right quick. Europe would no longer have anything to threaten Great Britain with and both would be negotiating as equals since the divorce would be complete. Fear would be replaced with pressure to come up with a solution on both sides of the channel as companies would in all nations would suffer without the ability to trade. This is where I believe both sides would go with a temporary status quo until they could hammer something out for real.

Go Boris!

Regards,

Doug

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Not surprising. If you refuse to carry out the will of the people, and talk down by calling them racist, uneducated, or duped by Russia, don't expect them to vote for you.

Sound familiar?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Another thought to consider is that if Britain leaves without an agreement, then there will be no trade agreement between GB & Europe.

This may seem obvious but these two (2) economic powers MUST trade with one another. This means that there would be tremendous pressure on both sides to create a new agreement and that right quick. Europe would no longer have anything to threaten Great Britain with and both would be negotiating as equals since the divorce would be complete. Fear would be replaced with pressure to come up with a solution on both sides of the channel as companies would in all nations would suffer without the ability to trade. This is where I believe both sides would go with a temporary status quo until they could hammer something out for real.

Go Boris!

Regards,

Doug

They still have a framework for trade. If UK leaves the EU it just defaults back to WTO rules rather than the 'ever [STRIKE]more strangling[/STRIKE] closer relationship'

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    From the BBC: If the exit poll is correct, and Boris Johnson has secured a majority, then he will have the backing of MPs on the green benches behind him to take us out of the European Union next month.A huge junction in our history - a moment that will redraw our place in the world.
    But not just that - if correct, these numbers could mean five more years of a Conservative government - tipping across a decade.
    After the fourth defeat for Labour in a row - after several years when they have moved further to the left - this is a serious and historic loss.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    They still have a framework for trade. If UK leaves the EU it just defaults back to WTO rules rather than the 'ever [STRIKE]more strangling[/STRIKE] closer relationship'

Exactly! Except with a "No Deal" Brexit the Europeans will be forced to come to the table with a clean slate. They will have nothing to threaten Britain with. They'll start with the very basics and work quickly on both sides to come up with something that they both AGREE upon, not something the EU bullies the Brits into.

Go Boris!!!

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom