• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    Hickok's review wasn't necessarily so glowing.

He put the internet rumors to bed that's for sure! Lol I mean people are right, it's a "better" Gen 2 but that pleases me as I couldn't find a Gen 2 to buy! I've liked and shot the other Generations pretty well but this is the bees knees for me. I haven't been able to find the new style mags for sale alone yet, more push for me to get a Gen5 G17!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    He put the internet rumors to bed that's for sure! ...

He didn't like the trigger that most everyone else reports they love. Couldn't help but notice, he seemed to miss more than he often does.

The model compatibility issues he points out make a difference, especially when you are talking about more than one gun.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    He didn't like the trigger that most everyone else reports they love. Couldn't help but notice, he seemed to miss more than he often does.

The model compatibility issues he points out make a difference, especially when you are talking about more than one gun.

Agreed. His review didn't make me want to buy the new Glock. Honestly, I haven't seen a reason to move away from my Gen 3 Glocks. The lack of finger grooves intrigues me, and I definitely want to try shooting one. But I have gotten so used to the finger grooves, I MAY miss them. (That's also because ALL my handguns are Gen 3 Glocks....)

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My attention span isn't long enough to ever watch one of his full videos. What did he say in a nutshell.

It's a Glock, it will run fine and shoot well.
    Take or leave the grip redesigns.
    Didn't like trigger.
    Liked the slide nose shaving a lot, yet noticed the frame not matching the cut.
    Liked the orange mag follower.
    Noted a lot of interweb reviewers point out changes that he could not identify. Recoil spring, different yet still polygonal rifling, slide width.
    Model compatibility issues.
    Mentioned that he'd have to think about a new purchase being Gen 4 vs Gen 5. Wouldn't be a given.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It's a Glock, it will run fine and shoot well.
    Take or leave the grip redesigns.
    Didn't like trigger.
    Liked the slide nose shaving a lot, yet noticed the frame not matching the cut.
    Liked the orange mag follower.
    Noted a lot of interweb reviewers point out changes that he could not identify. Recoil spring, different yet still polygonal rifling, slide width.
    Model compatibility issues.
    Mentioned that he'd have to think about a new purchase being Gen 4 vs Gen 5. Wouldn't be a given.

Thanks. Sounds similar to some other reviews I have heard. I have yet to see anyone do a true accuracy test, would like to see that. I have also heard some say the grip angle is different due to a less pronounced hump.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    I have yet to see anyone do a true accuracy test, would like to see that.
    I doubt the utility of such a test. All Glocks I've shot have been capable of extremely good accuracy. The limiting factor has always been me, not the gun itself. Outside of a very small group of professional shooters, I'm not sure any marginal improvement in mechanical accuracy - assuming it exists - would be noticeable in the noise of user error and I'd wager that reducing that user error through quality triggers and proper sight regulation have much more to do with real-life accuracy and precision than whatever improvement in barrel design the gen 5 contributes.

At this point it probably wouldn't take too much in cash or accessories to convince me to trade my gen 5 for a comparable gen 3 or gen 4, but I'll probably give it a few more chances at the range (and see if Tau Development Group comes out with an SCD for it) before I make that decision.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm not as curious about the barrel accuracy test as I am people shooting lead reloads through the barrel. That was the one thing about the other glocks, had to replace the barrel to do that.

Anyone heard anything one way or another about that?

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I do suck though, in the last two weeks I've finished my AR Pistol, received my CZ Shadow 2 and then picked up the Gen g17...

Haven't shot a single one of them due to pending house move.

I may have to force myself into finding some time this weekend.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    So for those of you who own the Gen5 and don't like it, why? The Gen5 looks like it has the internals of the G42/G43 so maybe Glock as a whole has changed going forward with models? I don't think the Gen 5 will be worlds better for most with a Gen3/Gen4 pistol, that would be foolish thinking. But for some like me it's a win.

tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I've carried both my P-10 C and G19 Gen 5 around the house for a couple days. The CZ has been riding in custom Kydex from Blackpoint Tactical; the Glock in a Safariland ALS CD7 7378. Even though I like the CZ better, it might come down to holsters. The ALS is more comfortable, convenient, and secure. If I knew Safariland would make one for the CZ, it would be a slam-dunk, but those holsters cost $50,000 apiece to develop tooling for every new gun model, so I don't see that happening any time soon.

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.

Geez man, he's hitting at 50ft and better! I mean, he hit all those 2-liters first shot. I guess I'm just easy to impress? LMAO

Top Bottom