• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Ser Brienne. I like it.

I also liked how little groups gathered around to prepare for battle. That added a moment of character and reflection.

It was especially decent of Samwell to give his family sword to Lord Jorah. That means a LOT in this culture, and since the sword is Valarian steel I wonder what Jorah will cleave into that would otherwise have been a problem.

Doug

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I guess Arya is supposed to be 18 now, but that was still kinda uncomfortable to watch.

I wish they would have combined the first 2 “build up” episodes into one. I kinda feel like I’m still waiting for the season to start.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I guess Arya is supposed to be 18 now, but that was still kinda uncomfortable to watch.

I wish they would have combined the first 2 “build up” episodes into one. I kinda feel like I’m still waiting for the season to start.

Even reading the books GRRM is a PITA with time! You can never tell how long someone was really somewhere, unless they leave the same day or next day.

Exactly how long did Arya train in the house of black & white? Monthes, years? In the books she learned that she could see through animals eyes, and thus we know she too is a warg(worg?).

The series hasn't done any better than the books.

Doug

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Ser Brienne. I like it.

I also liked how little groups gathered around to prepare for battle. That added a moment of character and reflection.

It was especially decent of Samwell to give his family sword to Lord Jorah. That means a LOT in this culture, and since the sword is Valarian steel I wonder what Jorah will cleave into that would otherwise have been a problem.

Doug

Crazy thought: Jon Snow as Azor Ahai, Heartsbane as Lightbringer.

While I enjoyed all of the obvious fan service scenes, I thought Sam giving Heartsbane to Jorah was a bit... strained. It didn't make complete sense to me. But perhaps it ends up in Jon's possession, and he uses it when he eventually needs to kill Danaerys.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Crazy thought: Jon Snow as Azor Ahai, Heartsbane as Lightbringer.

While I enjoyed all of the obvious fan service scenes, I thought Sam giving Heartsbane to Jorah was a bit... strained. It didn't make complete sense to me. But perhaps it ends up in Jon's possession, and he uses it when he eventually needs to kill Danaerys.

Don't forget that Jon Snow (or should we call him Aegon Targaryen now) already owns Longclaw, a Valarian steel blade that was a gift from Jeor Mormont. I believe the only thing that changed was there is a wolf on the pommel now instead of a bear.

I don't think he'll kill Daenerys. She lives to the end. She is the center of the whole thing.

Doug

EvilElmo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Dearborn Co.
    How many times did that episode repeat that the crypts are the safest place? The zombie king is coming to kill everyone but let's put all the women and children in the literal cemetery in the basement. Any bets on whether we'll see zombie Ned next week?

05165dd6119ef7801911d155e516cc54a44878.jpg

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    How many times did that episode repeat that the crypts are the safest place? The zombie king is coming to kill everyone but let's put all the women and children in the literal cemetery in the basement. Any bets on whether we'll see zombie Ned next week?

I've seem many people make this point. If it is foreshadowing, then it is pretty poor writing. Would everyone in the North suddenly forget that the Night King raises dead bodies? Not one child who has been frightened by wet nurse stories about the Long Night would ask why they were being kept in a room full of dead bodies?

Crypts generally keep only bones (held after a long and deliberate process of decomposition), which would leave nothing for the Night King to reanimate.

That, or there will be some crazy plot twist like reanimated Starks who are able to resist the Night King, and fight for the living.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

Don't forget that Jon Snow (or should we call him Aegon Targaryen now) already owns Longclaw, a Valarian steel blade that was a gift from Jeor Mormont. I believe the only thing that changed was there is a wolf on the pommel now instead of a bear.

I don't think he'll kill Daenerys. She lives to the end. She is the center of the whole thing.

Doug

I can't call him Aegon Targaryen after all this time... "You know nothing, Aegon Targaryen" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What do you make of the Season 8 trailer scene of abandoned, snow-covered Winterfell, with Longclaw left in the snow?

Daenarys may be a key player, but I think she ceased being the centerpiece the moment R + L = J was revealed. She's not the rightful heir.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have wondered about this crypt thing also. Makes no sense unless truly not able to reanimate. And yes, many starks there. Could be interesting. I still don’t like that night king guy. Or his horse

and not a single boob the WHOLE episode! I’m going to challenge the TV-MA rating on that episode.

Oh, and sir tall chick is going to have some epic self-sacrifice to save someone

also, the tower voyeur kid is gonna be burned with the night king by that tree in the woods

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have wondered about this crypt thing also. Makes no sense unless truly not able to reanimate. And yes, many starks there. Could be interesting. I still don’t like that night king guy. Or his horse

and not a single boob the WHOLE episode! I’m going to challenge the TV-MA rating on that episode.

Oh, and sir tall chick is going to have some epic self-sacrifice to save someone

A couple things:

1) There is a clear connection (yet to be revealed) between Bran and the Night King (and among all of the Brandon Starks throughout history - perhaps a reanimated Bran from the past?).

2) There is clear evidence that all Starks are (or have a tendency to be) wargs. That could be meaningful for Bran, Jon, or any reanimated Starks.

I just realized: Ghost made a guest appearance in Episode 2. How cool would it be for Bran to warg into Ghost to escape (or kill) the Night King?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon

What, you didn't enjoy the all-too-uncomfortable Arya side-boob?

It does seem like Brienne's character arc is being drawn to a close. She deserves an epic end. I'm still angry at the HBO handling of Barristan, killing him off by a bunch of nobodies in a back alley.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Crypt-people are so dead.

Iron sword is supposed to be on the coffins, some magic effect against undead. I think it was mentioned in season 1 that it's not all there, though.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I have no idea who these characters are by name :):

Heh.

Stark = great House of the North, historic rulers of the North from their castle, Winterfell

Bran Stark = crippled Stark, the Three-Eyed Raven, and the one pursued by the Night King. The name Brandon has been used for many Starks throughout history. Bran the Builder built Winterfell and The Wall. Bran the Breaker defeated the Night King once before. Ned Stark (see below) had an older brother named Brandon Stark, who was killed by the Mad King, Aerys Targaryen.

The Night King = the main, undead antagonist. Raises the undead, fights against the living.

Ghost = Jon Snow's direwolf familiar

Jon Snow = bastard son of Ned Stark, though actually named Aegon Targaryen, son of (prince) Rhaegar Targaryen and Lyanna Stark (Ned's sister), and rightful heir of House Targaryen

Ned Stark = father of Sansa, Arya, and Bran Stark, killed during Season 1

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Crypt-people are so dead.

Iron sword is supposed to be on the coffins, some magic effect against undead. I think it was mentioned in season 1 that it's not all there, though.

Bran took his uncle Brandon Stark's iron sword from the crypt when he escaped with Rickon during Theon Greyjoy's siege of Winterfell (from the book series; I don't remember if the HBO series showed it?).

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I can't call him Aegon Targaryen after all this time... "You know nothing, Aegon Targaryen" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

What do you make of the Season 8 trailer scene of abandoned, snow-covered Winterfell, with Longclaw left in the snow?

Daenarys may be a key player, but I think she ceased being the centerpiece the moment R + L = J was revealed. She's not the rightful heir.

It could work. Jon Snow & Aegon both have two (2) syllables. So cut it down to "You know nothing, Aegon." Boom. Similar sound. But you are right, it is hard to picture him as anything other than Jon Snow, except we all knew it was coming someday.

I don't make anything of the trailers as they cut & paste & cherry pick scenes that do nothing. For example, in one scene we see three (3) Iron Born ships sailing. This is Theon and Yara sailing. But then it cuts to the Golden Company on board. This is misleading, which is what they want to to, mislead and keep guessing.

Daenerys is a rightful heir, just not the next in line. If Jon/Aegon were to die then she would still be the next as Jon has no offspring as of yet. The difference is she wants it and he doesn't. He didn't want to be King in the North but was willing to have it foisted on him to bring the north together and thus save it.

I still see them getting married and ruling as an equal couple. Each would bring a wisdom and empathy to their rule. This would be very unlike Robert and Cersei.

Regards,

Doug

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    What, you didn't enjoy the all-too-uncomfortable Arya side-boob?

heck no. She seems like 14 years old. It was weird. And I bet it was a body double. I’ve spent hours trying to see who it was. I have narrowed it down to a few hundred possibilities. I can email out the database if anyone wants to take a crack at it

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    heck no. She seems like 14 years old. It was weird. And I bet it was a body double. I’ve spent hours trying to see who it was. I have narrowed it down to a few hundred possibilities. I can email out the database if anyone wants to take a crack at it

Cersei was a double later in the series.

Arya was her, they left it up to her how much she wanted to show.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    There have been a few references to tunnels under Winterfell. I think the crypt dwellers escape through them.

We are already 1/3 of the way through the final season. Will the battle of Winterfell be finished in one episode? With three episodes to bring the whole series to conclusion? Melisandre has to come back and die. The golden company has to be dealt with. Clegane bowl. Cersei has to die. Someone gets the iron throne. There will be a lot of loose ends to tie up in the few remaining episodes.

If Bran can see all of history through the trees, why can he not see how the children of the forest and the first men defeated the night king?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If Bran can see all of history through the trees, why can he not see how the children of the forest and the first men defeated the night king?

I'm sure when it's all said and done, I'm sure we'll be able to look back and say "Oh, that's why he didn't say anything." It'll probably make sense in some way.

Top Bottom