• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Thanks Sylvain! Spoon fed media is all I saw.
    He was in the wrong it appears.
    The driver was clearly in the wrong.
    Now was the officer justified to shoot that's another thing.
    For now the police officer is in jail and charged with voluntary manslaughter.
    The officer was not directly in front of the car, so his life was not directly threatened according to a judge.
    At the same time the officer would be justified to shoot in order to save the lives of others, like pedestrians ...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Some people are mostly mad because the person killed was "just a kid".
    Even though he was illegally driving a car at high speed and running red lights.

He was driving a powerful Mercedes AMG, probably costing over $60K, with over 300hp ...
    No idea how and where he got it.
    You need a valid driver's licence and to be over 21 to rent a car.
    Drug money? Of course nobody is talking about that.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I like how the tweet by "Concerned Citizen" states that there is "Zero coverage from our fake news mainstream media of course" yet this story is at or near the top of the homepage on just about all of the traditional "fake news media" outlets.

NPR - Top of the homepage. Don't even have to scroll down, at all.
    CNN - Top of the homepage is "France Unrest" which is also THE lead store in the World section.
    WaPo - 2nd from the top story in the World section, don't even have to scroll down, at all.
    NYT - Lead story in the World section, don't even have to scroll down, at all.

Any other of the big name usual "fake news" suspects I overlooked?

Peculiarly enough the odd bedfellows on this story are traditonally mortal enemies - FoxNews and Slate, both of which I could not find any coverage of the situation in France.

If "Concerned Citizen" isn't interested in fact checking his own easily fact-checkable claims, one would be wise to take any of his other word vomit with a very large grain of salt.
    So you found the articles in the world section, not the plain news section. Did you do the same for Fox news?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd be careful with that argument in case someone starts comparing freedoms per country.

No, that's exactly the argument you want and where I was leading. "Effectiveness" may not be our friend when comparing between our country and one with a homicide rate roughly 1/6th of ours per capita . When people want to make the point one way they bring out culture and demographics, etc. You can't then also argue ha, riots because gun control while ignoring we had riots, we had murders, and the numbers aren't even remotely the same. Don't lay your chips where they are likely to be swept up.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    No, that's exactly the argument you want and where I was leading. "Effectiveness" may not be our friend when comparing between our country and one with a homicide rate roughly 1/6th of ours per capita . When people want to make the point one way they bring out culture and demographics, etc. You can't then also argue ha, riots because gun control while ignoring we had riots, we had murders, and the numbers aren't even remotely the same. Don't lay your chips where they are likely to be swept up.
    Looking at the “per capita” numbers we really aren’t that far off from France.. (1.3 vs 6.4) I wouldn’t want to help make up the difference but the numbers are fairly close. And per capita numbers get you CLOSE but I think population density plays a big role also and it is swept under the rug with per capita being the end all.

Indyhd

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Noblesville
    Looking at the “per capita” numbers we really aren’t that far off from France.. (1.3 vs 6.4) I wouldn’t want to help make up the difference but the numbers are fairly close. And per capita numbers get you CLOSE but I think population density plays a big role also and it is swept under the rug with per capita being the end all.

If 1.3 and 6.4 are close I want to be in the banking business next time you are looking for a mortgage.

buckwacker

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2012
    You do realize 6.4 is 5X 1.3 right? I wouldnt call a difference of half an order of magnitude, close.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The chaos continued into Saturday morning as 1,311 arrests were made across the country Friday night and 2,500 fires were reported, according to the interior ministry, who noted that there were fewer fires and attacks on police stations than the night before.

(40K, that's a lot.)
    Despite the higher number of arrests compared to the 917 on Thursday night, the government suggested the violence was beginning to tamp down because of the deployment of 40,000 police officers on Thursday.

(French Guiana is in South America. Being killed by a stray bullet is considered death by natural causes there.)
    Though the massive presence of at least 45,000 officers Friday night didn't deter demonstrators as havoc remained across several cities, including Paris, Marseille, Lyon and French territories overseas. According to The Associated Press, a 54-year-old died after being hit by a stray bullet in French Guiana.

(You're doing it wrong, Francois. Set the dumpsters on fire.)
    Firefighters in the Parisian suburb of Nanterre extinguished fires set by demonstrators that scorched cars on Saturday, and in the neighboring town of Colombes, protesters overturned garbage bins to use them for makeshift barricades.

(This is starting to sound familiar.)
    The unidentified police officer accused of killing Nahel was given a preliminary charge of voluntary homicide. Preliminary charges mean investigating magistrates strongly suspect wrongdoing but need to gather additional information before sending a case to trial.

Nanterre prosecutor Pascal Prache said his initial investigation led him to the belief that the officer’s use of his weapon lacked legal justification.

cg21

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    So I guess what I am saying is France is closer to the size / population of a STATE not our entire country. A closer comparison would be Texas / France. Maybe there is a better comparison in size/population maybe I am wrong in thinking this way? But I think a state compared to france is a more accurate representation.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom