• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    It’s really simple, guys. Once Floyd was no longer a threat, once it was clear he was losing consciousness, the focus should have gone from detaining him to helping him. Was it murder? I think most of us can agree that no, it wasn’t. But manslaughter? Quite arguably so. The man was clearly having the life drain out of him right before their eyes and Chauvin cold-bloodedly not only kept him restrained, but overruled putting him in the recovery position. That’s not right, it’s morally bankrupt, no matter how bad of a person Floyd was. This didn’t have to happen. One tiny little bit of common sense and compassion and this would not have happened. It can and should lead to a small but important change in policing. I wrote “small but important” because obviously this doesn’t happen very often. If Floyd’s death in the aftermath leads to this common sense and compassion in even one future case, that’s a good thing. The danger is, of course, that officers will be placed in increased danger due to changes in use of force policies. I think the biggest danger, though, will be emboldening of criminals and the mob who view this as revenge or a success rather than an entirely avoidable tragedy we can all learn from.
    I agree with you mostly.
    Another point if it was the 1800's a criminal like Floyd would have been doing hard labor in a prison somewhere or already hung by his neck. However, in today's no justice system he lived on was running the streets still doing his work breaking laws.

I really think we should reintroduce hard labor, chain gangs, and courthouse lawn hangings. That might get people to start thinking before committing a crime.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    I think it is all a build up towards reparations.
    I agree with you mostly.
    Another point if it was the 1800's a criminal like Floyd would have been doing hard labor in a prison somewhere or already hung by his neck. However, in today's no justice system he lived on was running the streets still doing his work breaking laws.

I really think we should reintroduce hard labor, chain gangs, and courthouse lawn hangings. That might get people to start thinking before committing a crime.

This 100% I have worked in a dozen state prisons they get way to much freedom and do as they please. The general public has no idea how it actually is in one.

Just a slap on the wrist.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    This 100% I have worked in a dozen state prisons they get way to much freedom and do as they please. The general public has no idea how it actually is in one.
    I have a buddy I served with in federal prison. He is getting out in August. He said other than total boredom nothing else happens. He said you fight boredom by working out, reading books or watching TV. He Said he has gained 20lb because they get feed three a day and no way to work it off. I was actually shocked it wasn't harder. Movies he said is full of crap when it comes to prison.

nonobaddog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2015
    Tropical Minnesota
    I have a buddy I served with in federal prison. He is getting out in August. He said other than total boredom nothing else happens. He said you fight boredom by working out, reading books or watching TV. He Said he has gained 20lb because they get feed three a day and no way to work it off. I was actually shocked it wasn't harder. Movies he said is full of crap when it comes to prison.

I will never believe movies again. :)

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown

Ive seen Ipads, Tobacco, and damn near anything you can think of from commissary. It really depends on the facility but most seem pretty laid back more than I ever though Jail would be.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Ive seen Ipads, Tobacco, and damn near anything you can think of from commissary. It really depends on the facility but most seem pretty laid back more than I ever though Jail would be.
    He said most people in there are treated better being in prison than they could be out of prison. He said there is no reason to fear committing crime and going to prison if it's actually better for you. Many do not get 3 meals a day free medical etc on the outside so to many its actually appealing to get back in. A poor man's club med.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Having a couple of police officers on the jury may have been a good start.
    So courts should actively seek people in the same line of employment when determining culpability for a crime? And just out of curiosity, which Dept should those officers be from? FYI

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Jury of your peers. Not everyone is a peer. It is constitutional.
    “Peers,” means fellow citizens. Full stop. If one want to open that Pandora’s box and allow further identifiers, then you have started down the path of whole other level of problems.

Top Bottom