For those who have beat the nicotine monster...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CulpeperMM

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    off the vitamin N (cigarettes) for a year and a half now. i quit a few months before our little girl was born. my wife never smoked, so i was an outdoor smoker for 10years. i smoked for nearly 20 years. had tried to quit a few times in the past 5 years with nico-gum or patches. it finally stuck when i went cold turkey. i had the motivation. my little girl was on the way. the motivation is key. you have to want to quit.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    The motivation is definatly here. I'm tired of waking up with the feeling I have been dragged behind a truck, I'm tired of feeling groggy most of the day, I'm just plain tired of cigarettes.

I play alot of music and sing alot of the time, and I noticed my voice starting to sound strained when I was playing a show Friday night (that was enough to finally decide I was done). I'm waking up feeling a little more energized and not sore after only 60 hours, so I can imagine how I will feel after a few months.

Thanks to everyone for the tips and the encouragement of their past experience

purple72

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2008
    Central Indiana
    I went the Chantix route a little over 2 years ago. I told myself after I was completely through the 3 month program, I would treat myself to a motorcycle. And that's what I did. I really wanted a bike, plus all the health benefits. I never noticed the side effects that some people claim while taking it. But it got me though it, and I smoked for better part of 30 years. Do I miss, sometimes. But, I told myself if I ever smoked again, I'd have to sell the bike. I'm getting along fine without the nicotine. Just put a reward at the end of your battle. You'll make it. But as some have said, you have to honeslty want to quit. That's the first step. Good luck, and remember, you can do whatever you want when you put your mind to it.

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    I quit 13 years ago. I had to get out of the habit of reaching for them in my shirt pocket too. Dont go in the gas station for a pop, bring one from home. Get your teeth cleaned, the nicotine residue will be gone and you will not want it back. Get a worry stone, this will give thosse idle hands something to do. Most important... tell yourself you can do it, its only tough for a little while. GOOD LUCK!

D.B.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Avon
    I used chewing gum (juicy fruit) and loli pops. kept a stash in my shirt pocket. I was determined to do it cold turkey as I have known to many who failed using expensive substitutes. GOOD LUCK! It gets easier after two weeks and in 6 months you will feel like a new man.

JDonhardt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2010
    The patch worked well for me. It took care of the physical cravings (and it itched like a mother!) It took me forever...I used to joke that quitting was easy because I'd quit 4 times every week!

Also, I started working out all the time. Every day. I eventually quit, I still work out every day.

But the patch really did help.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I used the patch (Nicoderm CQ) many years ago to quit and it worked like a charm. I didn't even have to step it down in dosage, like you're supposed to. The CQ has a different delivery system than many patches and it worked great. Like JDonhart said, tho It can itch, but it does make quitting easier. Combine that with the will to quit and it's easy.

JustOneMore

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Franklin
    First let me say when i quit, i smoked A-LOT!!! Read:2.5-3.5 packs a day:rolleyes:

What helped me quit?

Mother: Dead = cancer
    Father: Nearly dead from c.o.p.d.
    Sister: Diagnosed with lung cancer Jan. 6 2006 at 2:30, informed me about 5:00, had last smoke at 5:05.:yesway::D

I have since lost both my father and my sister, so i feel that is more than enough reason to quit.

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    I don't know what patch I tried last time but the first night of use was absolute hell. Woke up around 4:30a with a start and barely made it to the porcelin god in time. I peeled the patch off and took a HOT shower to feel a little better. I swore then and there the patch was no good for me.

A_Brit_In_Indy

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Greenwood, Indiana
    Neo, I feel for you mate, I quit smoking 6 years ago and found it agonizing I started chewing the nicorette gum and it really helps so 6 years later I'm now addicted to the gum (hate the smell of smoke now) I have just started Chanix to get me off the gum.
    Hope I don't get addicted to them hahahaha Be careful though it's real easy to gain weight after quitting

Neo46121

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Putnam County
    Thanks for the warning Brit, but I think I could stand to gain a couple pounds. Always been a little under weight haha

I just passed the 72 hour mark *woot*

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I smoked cigars for years. Sometimes 10-15 per day. I quite 3.5 years ago cold turkey with no gum, patches and other things like that. Not only was I addicted but I really enjoyed smoking cigars. I had no idea the amount of nicotine in those things at the time, but it was incredibly hard to stop. I had quite several times before, and could not do it. Then I decided I was done. I told my self that every dime I spent on cigars I was taking directly away from my kids. I have had many momments of weakness but I have not faltered yet. I have walked by people smoking cigars in parking lots and things that caused the urge to hit me so hard that I nearly ripped it out of their mouth in order to smoke it.

If you decide to really do it you can do it. But it ain't easy. Good Luck.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Once I accepted that (1) it was going to be unpleasant and (2) it was going to hurt, then I was able to quit. I went from 1.5 packs a day to 0 overnight. What really worked for me was finding something to replace it. That, for me, was exercise. The other thing that I think helped was dropping caffeine at the same time. My thought was to purge the system of stimulants. So, I drank lots of water, too.

Accept that the first month is going to just suck - a lot. Accept it. Tell your family and friends (especially those who don't smoke and just don't have a clue) that you're probably not going to be pleasant for a while. Not that quitting gives anyone the green light to be an a$$hole, but at least they shouldn't be surprised.

What most non-smokers don't get is how this habit is/was for us is that it is really no different than walking, tying your shoes, or even breathing. Take something you do everyday -everyday- and stop it. It takes a lot.

misconfig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   1
    Apr 1, 2009
    Avon
    I started chewing - haven't had a smoke in 5 days - LOL.

Copenhagen probably isn't any better than smoking but oh well..

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom