For those who have beat the nicotine monster...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I finally quit 4 days ago and freedent has been my best friend.
    "Just one more stick of gum, man, I can quit anytime I want, just one more stick, please?"

Keep at it, you'll never die from gum addiction unless you choke to death!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Before I quit I rationed for some time to try and weaken the addiction. I started by saying that I had to wait one minute before I could light another one, then wait two minutes before I could light the next one and so on, adding a minute to my wait after each smoke. I was at one every 23 or so hours when I just decided to quit.

I was keeping all the tobacco in the house in a hard to get to location. I went downstairs and cleaned out my whole stash, including some really good cigars and two tins of pipe tobacco. I told my wife I was gonna quit. I took my laptop outside and sat and smoked and played games and worked on a story I was writing. When all I had left was pipe tobacco I smoked each of my pipes one time and then dumped the rest of the tobacco on the ground, went inside and took a shower.

The reward thing that Rachel mentioned really helped me fight the craves, even when the rewards were minor. Breaking my habit of smoking when I was reading and writing was harder because I love to read and one of my favorite things to do was to sit outside with a good paperback and smoke. It still sucks for me on a good hot day not to be able to carry a paperback outside to read because I know that it will just make me crave.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I smoked for 30 years and never intended to quit. My wife was always trying to get me to and even bought the patches and sat them on my desk. They layed there for almost a year then one day realizing I was out of cigarettes and too lazy to go to the store I had a brainstorm to stick on one of the patches until I could get to the store for cigs. That was over 8 years ago and I haven't smoked a cigarette since!

I am living proof that you don't have to "want" to quit to be successful at it. It just takes a lot of determination, or laziness in my case and strong willpower. One thing you must realize is that no matter how many years it has been since you quit it only takes 1 cigarette to get you hooked again and believe me, the cravings never go away completely. After 8 years, every single day, I still find myself wanting to light one up.

KEHO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 17, 2010
    Noblesville
    This method worked for me. I'm not sure it is for everyone, but I quit cold turkey after more than a decade and didn't have (and haven't had) a single craving - not one. That was 2 years ago.

No patches, gum, prescriptions or substitutes. Pick the evening you want to quit and read this book from beginning to end following the instructions. You have to have an open mind, a desire to quit, and the $10 for the book.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1402771630?ie=UTF8&tag=somethcreati-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=1402771630"]Allen Carr - The easy way to stop smoking[/ame]

Good luck everyone!!!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I'm trying to quit smoking....and it sucks

any tips on how to curb these cravings? I'm at 48 hours cold turkey but it's gettin pretty tough

Smoke a cigarillo. You don't inhale them, but you get a shot of nicotine. Yes, you're smoking, but your not inhaling. :)

I'm trying to quit as well, but I cheat. I smoke a cigarette or two every day. It was about 5-6 cigs a day, but I cut back to just a couple a day thanks to cigars. :)

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Smoke a cigarillo. You don't inhale them, but you get a shot of nicotine. Yes, you're smoking, but your not inhaling. :)

I'm trying to quit as well, but I cheat. I smoke a cigarette or two every day. It was about 5-6 cigs a day, but I cut back to just a couple a day thanks to cigars. :)

Savage... I've seen your posts about not smoking (whilst smoking cigars...)... but that's different somehow.

Dude. YOU ARE STILL SMOKING. I'm glad you feel better about it, but this is NOT good advice for how to stop smoking (IMHO). Cutting down at first is great. Using a nicotine substitute drug(no, not dip, not cigars), great also... but I get the feeling you are deluding yourself.

A couple of cigs a day should be fine. No cigars. YOU CAN DO IT.

EVERYBODY TOGETHER NOW!!! "YOU CAN DO IT SAVAGE. SSSSSTOPPPPPP SSSSSMOKINGGGGGG SSSSAVAGGGGGE"

p.s. "don't inhale" ... my butt... you sound like Clinton!

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Savage... I've seen your posts about not smoking (whilst smoking cigars...)... but that's different somehow.

Dude. YOU ARE STILL SMOKING. I'm glad you feel better about it, but this is NOT good advice for how to stop smoking (IMHO). Cutting down at first is great. Using a nicotine substitute drug(no, not dip, not cigars), great also... but I get the feeling you are deluding yourself.

A couple of cigs a day should be fine. No cigars. YOU CAN DO IT.

EVERYBODY TOGETHER NOW!!! "YOU CAN DO IT SAVAGE. SSSSSTOPPPPPP SSSSSMOKINGGGGGG SSSSAVAGGGGGE"

p.s. "don't inhale" ... my butt... you sound like Clinton!

:laugh: Not everyone can afford nicotine substitutes, and not everyone can quit cold turkey. :) Sometimes you just have to ween yourself off instead. :dunno:

I know my advice isn't for everyone, but it is an alternative to the other "mainstream" ways.

I do appreciate the encouragement though. :D

P.S. If I were pulling a "Clinton", I'd at least own up to it. :D

TODD1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    CGROVE SSIDE
    i quit cold turkey 3 1/2 yrs ago after deciding to do some dental work and havent looked back since. although i did put on 50 + pounds i have been working on it for the last 6 weeks and i have lost 15 pounds to date
    so think of something you want more than smoking
    good luck:yesway:

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    :laugh: Not everyone can afford nicotine substitutes, and not everyone can quit cold turkey. :) Sometimes you just have to ween yourself off instead. :dunno:
    Nicorette's website indicates that their gum costs about the price of a pack and a half a day habit for 12 weeks.

Good luck with your plan... I look forward to hearing about your first days without any smoking (and your first year without any).

For me it was a $10 bottle of homeopathic pills that contained a little nicotine. I used about half the bottle over the course of two weeks with NO smoking at all. Aside from one every 6-12 months, I haven't been a smoker for ~4 years now (after smoking a pack a day for about 10 years).

JUST QUIT.

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    Haven't had my morning smoke, drinking a cup of coffee and I'm on INGO. I'll be ok, I'll be ok....maybe I should just go back to bed....

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2010
    updates

:rolleyes:Ok curious how everyone is doing..I broke and had one yesterday. Today is better haven't had a single one but my bag of suckers are almost gone...

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    I've done horribly. The stress from dealing with lice in the house drove me to smoke 5 yesterday and I went 10 hours today then I had one and had my second a couple hours ago. :xmad: Cold Turkey SUCKS!

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    no smoke for over five days here! come on guys stay strong, stay positive. Exercise and if you get irritable your blood sugar may be low try to eat some candy.

Movealongmovealong

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Bloomington
    That's true about low blood sugar, but if you are truly "low" you should try to eat a combination of some sugary food (high-glycemic index) and some carbs and protein to get you up and going, but also to keep you from bottoming out 30 mins later. If you get on the high-low-high-low rollercoaster with sugar, it will become an addiction in and of itself, which is very common among people who try to quit smoking. Not to mention you will wear out your pancreas.

Using vigorous (max heart rate) exercise to quell hunger and re-regulate your metabolism will help as well.

loony1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 17, 2010
    Southside Indy
    cold turkey since october, i just went head first and never looked back. Gum has helped, but i find myself chewing my freaking fingernails:xmad: not good for someone who likes to shoot. Anyway, set a goal, i read about a guy who smoked 2 packs a day and saved up all he would of spent for a year. On the year anniversary he took the money he would've spent on cigs and bought a LaRue OBR, hellllyea!:rockwoot: 1 pack =$5 bucks x2=$10x365 days a year=$3,650.00 ouch!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom