• ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    ^^^ This.

And don't buy the "most lumens you can afford," unless you are hunting coyotes at night. Anything much over 300 lumens can be just as disorienting to you as the other guy if you're inside.

What is magic about 300 lumens? Is your personal light 300 lumens and it's okay, but any more than that is too much?

"Too much light" is a matter of how you use your light more so than how bright it is. I guarantee that if you're right against a white wall and your purposely or carelessly shine your 300 lumen light against it, you're going to have about as much trouble as someone with a 500 or 900 lumen light. Intensity drops with the square of the distance, so when you're too close and you shine you light on a highly reflective surface, you're going to have issues even with a 120 lumen light.

I disagree. My 960 lumens doesn't bother me indoors unless I look right into the beam.

x2, I use a Quark flashlight at 810 lumans and have a big open house to cover, works perfect.

How you use is and where you use it makes all the difference in the world.

I'd much rather have as much light available as possible. If I need less for some reason, I can accommodate it.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    What is magic about 300 lumens? Is your personal light 300 lumens and it's okay, but any more than that is too much?

"Too much light" is a matter of how you use your light more so than how bright it is. I guarantee that if you're right against a white wall and your purposely or carelessly shine your 300 lumen light against it, you're going to have about as much trouble as someone with a 500 or 900 lumen light. Intensity drops with the square of the distance, so when you're too close and you shine you light on a highly reflective surface, you're going to have issues even with a 120 lumen light.

How you use is and where you use it makes all the difference in the world.

I'd much rather have as much light available as possible. If I need less for some reason, I can accommodate it.

I agree, we are taught to aim the flash light down or at a angle to aim in front of us if worried about backwash.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    My work EDC is the dual brightness (15/500 lumen) Surefire P2X Fury, and it's about the closest thing to the perfect flashlight.
    It fits in the palm of the hand, it rides in Surefire's excellent nylon-reinforced V70 holster, it's rugged as an anvil, and it's insanely bright when I need it.
    It also has a lifetime warranty, and Surefire's customer service is (justifiably) outstanding.
    Definitely worth the just over $100 that I gave for it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My bedroom has mirrors floor to ceiling. Could this be a problem? :dunno:

Maybe ...

Have you turned out the lights and experimented?

Also, when you're home, I think actually using the house lights instead of waiting in semi-darkness with a flashlight has a lot of merit.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Necro post!

I need the flashlight gurus to help me out.

I've been researching to no avail. Is there anything Cree that is a screw in replacement to an old style incandescent flashlight bulb? I found several for Surefires and others but I have scads of headlamps and others that I would love to screw a Cree into.

Any help appreciated.

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    Let's start from the beginning. what are your end goals? what do you want in your light?
    I have a light that I use daily at work, it's the Inova T3. INOVA T3 Lithium Powered LED Flashlight I got tired of having to ask the boss for new batteries every week, so I bought some rechargeable ones, one of them crapped out so I am using it with basically two good batteries. I like the size, not too big, not too small, I like the tailcap switch, I can turn it on without fumbling to find the button. I like the strobe feature, it is handy to get someone's attention in a noisy factory.

What I would like is a light that is similar in size, tailcap switch, rechargeable without having to take the batteries out if possible, and as bright or brighter than the 313 lumens my current light is rated at. It will be used daily and recharged nightly.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    The uc35 might work out for you. It's about the same size. Has a usb plug to recharge it so you don't have to take the battery out.
    There is a video on our website so you can take a closer look at it

Fenix UC35

I called Surefire and was told the P3X is switching/switched to a tactical tailcap, the same tailcap used on the EAG models, do you have these new models in stock?

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    The ones we have are the original design. I haven't heard that they were switching the switch.... But I also didn't hear that the p2x was actually going to 600 lumens.... But the last batch showed up as 600 lumens..... SF website still says 500 though...

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    The uc35 might work out for you. It's about the same size. Has a usb plug to recharge it so you don't have to take the battery out.
    There is a video on our website so you can take a closer look at it

Fenix UC35

I'm liking mine.

It doesn't seem quite as bright as my PD35 2014 even when the battery is fully charged, but it's close. I haven't tried it with a pair of CR123As to see if makes any difference or not.

Overall, it's about as close as you can get to a "perfect" light among the selections on the market right now.

Another jewel is the PD22UE. It's TINY, but it makes either 400 or 510 lumens (depending on which web site you check and which battery you use). Unless you need a fist load to use as an impact weapon, it's probably the perfect every day carry light based on size and performance.

Top Bottom