First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have gathered information on him today and will be contacting INS first thing tomorrow morning and lets see if they do their job. He has a mexican drivers license in spanish....guess where he is from and there is no green card in his wallet either. ;) There are alot of them in Terre Haute and I can tell you where some of them work (illegally) and I can also tell you that most of them mysteriously have Illinois plates (living in Indiana) and are somehow getting license plates for their vehicle out of Edgar County (IL).

You'll be wasting your time, as they will do nothing.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    Well this has devolved quite a bit.

OP, you're on very shaky legal ground, I don't think there's much of a question there. You screwed up. So own up and be thankful that nothing bad came of it.

Just chill with the pointing of the weapons and tell your girlfriend to be a little more vigilant.

And try not to associate with screw ups, or friends of screw ups, or friends of friends of screw ups. Guys like that leave a trail of destruction behind them everywhere they go.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Yet that's not what you said...
    Assuming he pulled a weapon. You can split hairs all you want. Im sitting here at my home...not in jail. The "law" has already spoken with their "silence". Mercy is exactly what it was. If i felt compelled to shoot I have no doubt that I could prove the history of this guy and that I had a valid reason to foresee the situtation to show it was likely there would be harm to my girlfriend or I BEFORE I even raised my weapon.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Assuming he pulled a weapon. You can split hairs all you want. Im sitting here at my home...not in jail. The "law" has already spoken with their "silence". Mercy is exactly what it was. If i felt compelled to shoot I have no doubt that I could prove the history of this guy and that I had a valid reason to foresee the situtation to show it was likely there would be harm to my girlfriend or I BEFORE I even raised my weapon.

Congrats. You've officially convinced one of the only people giving you the benefit of the doubt not to.

Keep talking, this is going great for you... :n00b:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Well this has devolved quite a bit.

OP, you're on very shaky legal ground, I don't think there's much of a question there. You screwed up. So own up and be thankful that nothing bad came of it.

Just chill with the pointing of the weapons and tell your girlfriend to be a little more vigilant.

And try not to associate with screw ups, or friends of screw ups, or friends of friends of screw ups. Guys like that leave a trail of destruction behind them everywhere they go.
    I do agree that I need to have more in depth talks with the girlfriend about scenarios at 230am. This person was no friend of mine and neither is his x-girlfriend. I have been constantly telling my GF that it is a bad idea to be around his x-girlfriend because of the history and surrounding drama that follows.
    I feel I prevented the 230am knocker from even getting the chance to pull a weapon (when i reasonably believed he had his hand on one). One thing I dont understand among this thread is that the first words out of a police officer's mouth when a person has his hands in his pockets or coat is let me see your hands, sometimes while the Officer's gun is drawn and I didnt have enough time to get the police at my house last night because the situation was dramatically turned around not in my favor considering my GF ignorantly went outside (I did not know she intended to do this or I would have stopped her). So I disagree that I screwed up.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Congrats. You've officially convinced one of the only people giving you the benefit of the doubt not to.

Keep talking, this is going great for you... :n00b:
    All is well, nothing is going "great" or "poorly"....YOU are the only one that is keeping a scorecard and I am the one in charge of my home and its defenses, not you.

sb0

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Aug 1, 2013
    Indy
    I do agree that I need to have more in depth talks with the girlfriend about scenarios at 230am. This person was no friend of mine and neither is his x-girlfriend. I have been constantly telling my GF that it is a bad idea to be around his x-girlfriend because of the history and surrounding drama that follows.
    I feel I prevented the 230am knocker from even getting the chance to pull a weapon (when i reasonably believed he had his hand on one). One thing I dont understand among this thread is that the first words out of a police officer's mouth when a person has his hands in his pockets or coat is let me see your hands, sometimes while the Officer's gun is drawn and I didnt have enough time to get the police at my house last night because the situation was dramatically turned around not in my favor considering my GF ignorantly went outside (I did not know she intended to do this or I would have stopped her). So I disagree that I screwed up.

Drawing and pointing a weapon are two entirely different things. One may be brandishing, the other is assault with a deadly.

As far as screwing up, no matter what you or I or anyone here thinks, or even what is right or wrong, in a legal sense, I don't think there's much of a question that you did. And I'm sure you don't want to find out the hard way.

Again, at the end of the day, vigilance can prevent these situations from occurring in the first place. So that'd be my foremost concern. The GF needs to understand that she contributed to a situation which could have been much worse, and she did it for absolutely no good reason I can think of.

This is no game.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

:facepalm:

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Well thank-you Mr. Burton. I will go over the laws more often but in all honesty the law goes out the door when I belive there is a fair chance that my family or I are in ANY danger or even the slightest chance that danger could be imminent.

Epic failure!

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    The failure is that you won't stop posting incriminating info on the forum/web.

Look at all the Facebook Bozo's that have been ran through the ringer...

I agree with Chezuki, you'd be better off to quit posting.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I can't add much to what EVERYBODY has already said. I am not scandalized by any part of your experience or even your attitude. What I am scandalized at is that you actually pointed your gun at him. Who do you think you are? A cop? (see what I did there? An officer would CERTAINLY have drawn on him) When adrenalin flows, guns seem to go off by themselves. It would have been very easy to shoot him by accident. Just try to get it into your head, you were OK until you actually pointed your gun. I might have done everything else that you did with the knowledge that you had, EXCEPT covering him with your gun. How long does it take to lift and fire?

Top Bottom