First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    quote_icon.png
    Originally Posted by chezuki
    Why waste time getting dressed at all? If you're going to run someone off your property at gunpoint, you might as well go all out and do it with your **** swingin'. :laugh:
    The rep nazis won't let me rep you!

I got him. :)

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Well this has devolved quite a bit.

OP, you're on very shaky legal ground, I don't think there's much of a question there. You screwed up. So own up and be thankful that nothing bad came of it.

Just chill with the pointing of the weapons and tell your girlfriend to be a little more vigilant.

And try not to associate with screw ups, or friends of screw ups, or friends of friends of screw ups. Guys like that leave a trail of destruction behind them everywhere they go.

This is pretty much what it boils down to once you eliminate the drama and name-calling.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Too lazy to read more than the first two pages and the last two but the thing that caught my eye about this post was the title; "First time I had to draw my handgun (In this state)". Makes me wonder how many other times he's drawn down on someone?!!

All the other juicy stuff has already been discussed.

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Assuming he pulled a weapon. You can split hairs all you want. Im sitting here at my home...not in jail. The "law" has already spoken with their "silence". Mercy is exactly what it was. If i felt compelled to shoot I have no doubt that I could prove the history of this guy and that I had a valid reason to foresee the situtation to show it was likely there would be harm to my girlfriend or I BEFORE I even raised my weapon.

So now you're a mind reader!?
    His "history" wouldn't save you in court if you would have shot him. Only the facts. What he (and your gf, and you) did beforehand.
    Exactly. An individual's rough past doesn't justify their death. If I drove to the local meth halfway house/rehab center and saw a resident act suspicious, I couldn't kill them based upon their history.

OP, you need some training and some reading on IN laws. It may end up saving you some time in a cage or a mountain of legal fees. I'd recommend reading Indiana Firearms Law by Bryan Ciyou .

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You know, there is a reasonably good chance that the guy is going to stew about the incident. And a good chance he may come back to OP's house.

Maybe drunk again. Maybe sober. Maybe armed. Maybe with buddies. Maybe when OP isn't home. Maybe looking to catch OP off his guard when he is home. Too many horrid scenarios. Sorry, my brain worries about worst case scenarios, I can't stop it.

Also I'd be careful about content of the thread if I ever had to use self defense with a firearm. There is some some descriptive info that a jury may interpret as swagger.

I'm glad OP is alright, and glad he shared his experience, but hope he is careful about what he types.

A 7.62 Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Shreveport, LA
    It appears you dont understand that I would not have fired until his hand came out of his coat with a weapon. I would not have shot someone until they produced a weapon but I chose not to even let him pull any weapon out. He left, it was done and I went to bed.
    I believe if you go thru my post history you will see that I am not a fan of shoot first ask questions later. In fact the incident with the man in montana shooting the 17&18yr old boy and girl in his basement comes to mind as a thread that i posted in and speaks exactly as to what i said here in this post. I value life, people make mistakes but that does not always mean they should die for it.
    So, OP, his hand quickly comes out of his coat. Now what? You blow him to pieces and all he has in his hands is a cell phone.
    46522652.jpg

How can you, at 2:30 in the morning, be CERTAIN that there was a weapon in that man's coat. Did you see it? Did you have a flashlight with you? Porch lights? I too have pockets In my coat. That's where I keep my wallet, Ipod, and cell phone. You know, non-weapon things. If i go in there, does that mean i'll come back out with an MP5? No sir, it certainly does not

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    OP, other than trying to look cool on the internet, why would you ever post this online? Even if the guy kicked down your door and you shot him legally, DON'T POST IT ON THE INTERWEBZ! There is nothing to be gained by sharing this story with us. If you are ever in a situation where you need your gun in the future and are put on trial you'd better believe that this post will be brought up.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    So, OP, his hand quickly comes out of his coat. Now what? You blow him to pieces and all he has in his hands is a cell phone.

How can you, at 2:30 in the morning, be CERTAIN that there was a weapon in that man's coat. Did you see it? Did you have a flashlight with you? Porch lights? I too have pockets In my coat. That's where I keep my wallet, Ipod, and cell phone. You know, non-weapon things. If i go in there, does that mean i'll come back out with an MP5? No sir, it certainly does not

I still want to know what a cop would have done.

Top Bottom