First time I had to draw my handgun (in this state)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    You're right. I haven't ever put one hand inside of a pocket while the other hand was still exposed. This is extremely suspicious behavior. You caught me.

udanderes-2452209.jpg

I did it just once but it was to reach for my grenade.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dont come in my driveway with a "history" like the guy last night had and you wont have anything ever to worry about, sunshine. Next time dont ask if you dont want to know the answer.

So, you apparently ARE one of those people that probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm. Pointing guns at people on your doorstep, and indicating that you have no problem doing it again under certain circumstances, via a thinly veiled threat. You need to grow up. You're gonna get yourself, of somebody else needlessly hurt, or worse.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He got smart, so i gave it right back. If he cant get that, then I dont know what to tell him. I would not say that to him or any other officer in uniform, surely he is not in uniform right now and typing on Ingo on INDIANA time. :n00b:

Lol, well I do work wed and thurs this week, but starting at 5pm. Nice try tho.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    It is illegal UNLESS "reasonable force is justified" (I'm not certain it was, but there are a lot of absolutes in this thread without enough details to make them)
    Correct, but I was only going by his post. He said his girlfriend opened the door (maybe even stepped outside) and was talking to the "victim".

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    So, you apparently ARE one of those people that probably shouldn't be carrying a firearm. Pointing guns at one guy on your doorstep, and indicating that you have no problem doing it again under certain circumstances, via a thinly veiled threat. You need to grow up. You're gonna get yourself, of somebody else needlessly hurt, or worse.
    FIFY

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I'd like to hear what some of INGO's respected LEO's have to say about the OP's actions.

Also, if the OP's actions were criminal, why is he not in jail? He stated that he called 911 immediately and told them what happened. Why haven't the police showed up to arrest him?

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    After reading all the back and forth I think a decent self defense attorney could present a sufficient, although not overwhelming, case for AOJ. Certainly enough to persuade a jury that the OP acted in a reasonable manner given the circumstances. It might not prevent a zealous prosecutor from taking it to trial but in my opinion he would not get a conviction.

It was not handled in the best possible way, but that is not what juries look for. Juries look for reasonableness and good story telling. And, at the end of this story it became a no harm, no foul happenstance. Everyone went back to bed safe and sound.

People don't like wife-beaters, and if it was shown that 1) the visitor was indeed a wife-beater and 2) that was a known fact to the homeowners, that is going to influence the jury far more than any other facts of the case, including whether or not the homeowner observed every jot and title of the law at 2 in the morning.

I would not recommend such an event being handled this way, or even approximately close to it, but I do believe that much of the histrionics presented by many of the posters reflect a desire for a perfect situation instead of acknowledging what happens in the real world.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'd like to hear what some of INGO's respected LEO's have to say about the OP's actions.

Also, if the OP's actions were criminal, why is he not in jail? He stated that he called 911 immediately and told them what happened. Why haven't the police showed up to arrest him?

Where's the victim? What are you going to convict on considering OP has the 5th Amendment priv?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    After reading all the back and forth I think a decent self defense attorney could present a sufficient, although not overwhelming, case for AOJ. Certainly enough to persuade a jury that the OP acted in a reasonable manner given the circumstances. It might not prevent a zealous prosecutor from taking it to trial but in my opinion he would not get a conviction.

It was not handled in the best possible way, but that is not what juries look for. Juries look for reasonableness and good story telling. And, at the end of this story it became a no harm, no foul happenstance. Everyone went back to bed safe and sound.

People don't like wife-beaters, and if it was shown that 1) the visitor was indeed a wife-beater and 2) that was a known fact to the homeowners, that is going to influence the jury far more than any other facts of the case, including whether or not the homeowner observed every jot and title of the law at 2 in the morning.

I would not recommend such an event being handled this way, or even approximately close to it, but I do believe that much of the histrionics presented by many of the posters reflect a desire for a perfect situation instead of acknowledging what happens in the real world.
    I don't believe anyone claimed that he would be convicted!?

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Well thank-you Mr. Burton. I will go over the laws more often but in all honesty the law goes out the door when I belive there is a fair chance that my family or I are in ANY danger or even the slightest chance that danger could be imminent.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    how about a solution to future problems....take the worthless signs down and put up "HELP WANTED"...problem solved.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Fail. As a "judge," :rolleyes: you ignored all the documented testimony the OP has made on this forum.

A perfect example:
    ... in all honesty the law goes out the door when I belive there is a fair chance that my family or I are in ANY danger or even the slightest chance that danger could be imminent.

Top Bottom