• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I appreciate just about all firearms and own several in different price ranges. I don't own a High Point as of yet but I am thinking about picking one up if just for the comparison factor. They all have there purposes.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I've seen less brand snobbery than condescending implications that "settling" for less expensive guns might as well be a death sentence. "How much is your life worth?" "Save longer instead of buying cheap" "Wait and find a good used one" and such are heard fairly often. Take a look at the "trust your life to a clone" thread for numerous examples. That advice is all well and good, but such sayings aren't really constructive when $250 for a Keltech P-11 truly IS a week's take-home pay. And it takes you eight weeks of bologna sandwich lunches to scrimp it together. And your wife is hesitant to see the value of any gun and would much rather spend that $250 on new (used) tires for the car before winter. And on and on. For lots of people, buying a gun means real sacrifice.

Nobody wants a trash gun, and we all know that there are sub-$300 guns that are pure trash and ones that are decent buys for the money. It sure would be nice if more people were willing to help others find the decent ones.

Couldn't have said it better myself.I bought my Glock with my credit card and am still paying it off.I wouldn't have done it normally but it was my birthday present.My 1911,my DPMS,Taurus 85 poly,and my Hi Point 4595 were all bought with tax returns and my Mosin was paid for out of a car that my wife and I drove all the way up until it died on the junkyard scales.My shotgun was attained through a trade for guns that I had received in trades.This hobby is not a cheap one,and many times I have to pass up amazing deals because I'm too broke after paying for bills,food,and gas.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I appreciate just about all firearms and own several in different price ranges. I don't own a High Point as of yet but I am thinking about picking one up if just for the comparison factor. They all have there purposes.

I love my hi points. Got a 9 mm pistol and a 9 mm carbine. I have a blast shooting them both!

A High Point passes the fence post test, but most other guns fail. The fence post test is where you are out on the back 40 and see one of your fence posts has fallen. You have no tools, only your side arm. You unload said firearm and use it to drive the fence post into the ground. If you can fix the fence post, reload your sidearm and continue with no appreciable difference to the gun, it passes.

1911s fail because a 1911 user would rather leave the fence broken than chance scratch the finish on their gun. Glocks fail because the average Glock user may very well get the fence post fixed, but they then get caught up in the moment and spend the rest of the day torturing their Glocks and cap the day with a new stipple pattern. CZs fail because the CZ carrier sees the downed fence post and immediately uses it as an excuse to do some shooting. They will jump at any chance they can find to shoot their CZs and only after the fence post is reduced to splinters do they think about whether or not they should fix the fence.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    Couldn't have said it better myself.I bought my Glock with my credit card and am still paying it off.I wouldn't have done it normally but it was my birthday present.My 1911,my DPMS,Taurus 85 poly,and my Hi Point 4595 were all bought with tax returns and my Mosin was paid for out of a car that my wife and I drove all the way up until it died on the junkyard scales.My shotgun was attained through a trade for guns that I had received in trades.This hobby is not a cheap one,and many times I have to pass up amazing deals because I'm too broke after paying for bills,food,and gas.

whats a tax return? lol. i haven't seen one of those in years i usually owe on taxes and i even have extra taken out of my check too

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    Then you make more than you let on, or your employers' payroll department are idiots!

i make between 45 and 60k a year depending on the miles i get. in an extremely good year i earn at the upper end. on average though it's around 50k. between house, car, insurance, groceries and putting back for retirement i really dont have much left over.. oh and no children to claim

M88A1

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2010
    Bedford
    I love used guns and new guns. Each one is different in its own right. Some are cheap but have quality some are expensive and have quality. Love the one you got

SIG, Springfield, Glock, Colt, Ruger, Remington.....Now im interested in magnum wheels guns, .357, .41 and .44 magnums.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    +M88A1! In agreement to your change, you forgot to list S&W!

My 40+ yr old S&W M10 was a "carried often, shot little" when I purchased it used to attend the LEO Academy. My PD did not have a "working spare firearm" to send for 12 weeks.
    Was worn bluing, action tight, shot to point of aim. Original grips gone, had used worn Pachmayrs, but carried well for over 6 months while waiting for an issued weapon.
    I figured on dumping the old "Smith", get a new S&W 686 4in 357 magnum. Got the issued 686. Couldn't part with the M10, so it was to be my last remaining "cheap" gun.

After retiring, the 686 had been turned in, traded for a batch of G22s. The M10 got a reblue, new wooden grips to match, an internal tune up(cleaned and checked), and sits prepared to defend my home. Not bad for a $125.00 out cost.(in 1987 was expensive) Have a RIA 45, Glock 19, and a S&W442 all under $500. ea new. Well spent for carry or defensive use. Had a Colt Gold Cup once, but sold it off to buy appliances for my house. Still use the appliances every day!

Homes, kids, cars, all zap your slush fund. Extra side jobs help to a point, don't forget the reason for your firearms ownership. "To Keep and Defend" Is's your right.
    Enjoy, carry, and Good Luck!

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see a lot of people in these forums and you tube touting Glock or M&P or this that or the other. they all seem to have one thing in common they are gun snobs. now i realize that some guns are in fact just better, but just because a gun cost less than $400.00 does not mean it is automatically a bad gun. i have owned many cheap guns that did what they were supposed to do. that being to go bang when the trigger is pulled. for self defense purposes 21 feet is all the distance on average a gun needs to be accurate at and even a derringer can hit at that distance. so for the purposes of this thread i'd like to hear from some of you guys who dont just own 500-1000 dollar guns and who find the guns you can afford perfectly fine for their designed task

If your choices meet your needs, why do you care what other people think and say? Is it possible that you agree with them, but don't want to admit it?

addictedhealer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2012
    Monroe County
    My main two carry guns are SR9c and a Kahr. Not because they are "cheap" but because I like them. I don't buy into this whole if it isn't glock, sig, HK and walther it's junk. Atleast most of the "crappy cheap" guns these snobs talk about are American made. ;)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    OP, I can definitely see why someone would say there are alot of gun snobs on here, but its no different than anything else. Cars, shoes, computers, level of education, food, etc. etc....
    Human condition. Its why there are blue collars and white collars. Most people need to be white collar when it comes to something. If you think hard enough, there is something in your life that you have a higher standard for, thus demand a "white collar" product.

Any subject you insert into this scenario is pretty much the same. Guns? Sure alot of the cheaper ones will work perfectly fine, but different people demand different things, like fit and finish, bragging rights, exclusivity, and then there is the group of people who are not real technical and rely on the thought that more expensive means better. Some build a gun to their needs. Food? Some people see food as merely a means to and end. Those people are happy with anything, and dont demand organic this, and imported that. But some people see food as an experience, and demand more. Shoes? Some are happy with a cheap pair of shoes, some are not. Some need their clothes to be expensive. Computers? Some demand very little, and are fine with a lower cost mainstream PC. Some demand more, and have no technical knowledge, and buy a high end PC. Some build themselves.

This is life, my friend, and life is all about psychology, whether people know it or not... We are all organic beings with so many different possibilities of wishes and desires, brought on by the things that shape us as we live. The thing that sucks is, most people are not self aware enough to know the reasons why they think or feel the way they do, and so can only provide banter, instead of honest opinion. Thats where you get the idea of a gun snob. For some, its impossible to see the idea that a cheaper gun can be just as good as a more expensive gun. Sometimes better. If you are one of the ones who read this and your default thoughts about what I wrote are negative, your most likely one of the non self aware folks I spoke of before, and all you can provide is banter. I suggest you take time to actually think about the thoughts that make you who you are. But you probably wont, and I envy you.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    OP, I can definitely see why someone would say there are alot of gun snobs on here, but its no different than anything else. Cars, shoes, computers, level of education, food, etc. etc....
    Human condition. Its why there are blue collars and white collars. Most people need to be white collar when it comes to something. If you think hard enough, there is something in your life that you have a higher standard for, thus demand a "white collar" product.

Any subject you insert into this scenario is pretty much the same. Guns? Sure alot of the cheaper ones will work perfectly fine, but different people demand different things, like fit and finish, bragging rights, exclusivity, and then there is the group of people who are not real technical and rely on the thought that more expensive means better. Some build a gun to their needs. Food? Some people see food as merely a means to and end. Those people are happy with anything, and dont demand organic this, and imported that. But some people see food as an experience, and demand more. Shoes? Some are happy with a cheap pair of shoes, some are not. Some need their clothes to be expensive. Computers? Some demand very little, and are fine with a lower cost mainstream PC. Some demand more, and have no technical knowledge, and buy a high end PC. Some build themselves.

This is life, my friend, and life is all about psychology, whether people know it or not... We are all organic beings with so many different possibilities of wishes and desires, brought on by the things that shape us as we live. The thing that sucks is, most people are not self aware enough to know the reasons why they think or feel the way they do, and so can only provide banter, instead of honest opinion. Thats where you get the idea of a gun snob. For some, its impossible to see the idea that a cheaper gun can be just as good as a more expensive gun. Sometimes better. If you are one of the ones who read this and your default thoughts about what I wrote are negative, your most likely one of the non self aware folks I spoke of before, and all you can provide is banter. I suggest you take time to actually think about the thoughts that make you who you are. But you probably wont, and I envy you.
    You are right my friend! We all have avenues and hobbies that we do demand the best or at least the best we can afford. Other areas not so much, at work I have always dressed in slacks , polo shirts etc. But when I am off work its blue jeans a hoodie and some tennis shoes but probably have a pretty nice pistol with me. LOL. We all choose were we spend are extra money and how thank God we live in America!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Primarily HK here, do have a S&W Shield 9 I really like, & PPQ M1 that is sweetness, dangit, I'm a snob!

I really tried to like Glocks, I shoot them well, but hate how they feel. Did keep my G19 w/ tb & raised sights, it's pretty comfortable. Have been eyeing G21 Gen4 (or Gen3 sf). Still snob though, dagnabbit.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Do you criticize lower class firearms? Because you could own the million dollar .45 caliber luger, and still not be a gun snob. I think your forgetting the definition of snob.

Top Bottom