• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The issue here is the reverse. Dont talk a cheapy down just because you dont like them... If you had a bad experience, we appreciate any lessons you might have learned, or warnings you can give. But there are far too many cases of hating something just because its cheap. Case in point would be the Rock Island 1911 threads, where everyone kept bashing them. So I produced a RIA customer satisfaction poll, and it was a walkover... 113 people either personally owned, or personally knew someone who owned one and was happy with it. Only 14 people had or knew someone who owned one and wasnt happy with it. Yet still, when they get brought up, theyre bashed. IMO, thats snobbery... There is alot of that around here.. I might add, most of it when 1911's are brought up... Anytime there is smug value on a product, something more than service and value you can get out of something, you get people who are snobs. Just because you own expensive guns, doesnt mean your a snob. Dont be offended here. Because if your a snob, chances are you know it.

I worked gun retail and saw a lot of problems. Many were owner induced, some downright friggin idiotic. Most folks can't do halfway decent problem solving and also don't have much mechanical understanding. But they're still customers and you gotta work to solve the problem, make them happy.

I have posted my findings on certain brands and models on here and been called a liar (indirectly) way too many times. On other forums it's even gotten rather heated.

So I'm pretty much done giving warnings or opinions..............outside of just saying "XXXXXX sucks".

I now am much more relaxed, knowing those who get bent over "gun snobs" will continue to p*ss their money away on crap.
    Or have other accessory issues, miss or wound their deer.

Screw the stupid...........they get what they deserve (actually not as much as they should IMHO).

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I think a lot of folks confuse inexpensive with cheap. Just because it didn't cost a lot does not mean it was poorly made...just because it does cost a lot does not mean it is well made with good materials.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In the big picture, Glocks and M&Ps aren't expensive, especially amortized over a lifetime of use. It's especially true if you buy used Glocks.

They're tools.

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    A lot of folks seem to be missing the point. I don't think anybody is saying that Glocks, M&Ps, and XDs are expensive or elitist or even that they're not worth the extra money. We're saying that everything "below" those is not automatically trash. In other words, you're not so much a gun snob for what you have as much as for what you consider to be beneath you - especially if that decision isn't based on first-hand experience with a bargain brand that you're trashing on the forum.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Glocks.

They're tools.

Like their owners.

image.png

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    The first several years I carried, I carried a Bersa Thunder .380. I loved it. Nice and small, concealable, accurate and dependable. The only reason I changed is when I first started teaching I was getting all kinds of crap from the other instructors (In Ohio) about my choice of side arm. They kept telling me I had to be a better example for my students. So I bought an XD .40 sub compact. Now I love all things Springfield. But it soon dawned on me that not everyone could spend $600+ on a handgun, and EVERYONE has the right to self defense. I'm glad I started down the Springfield road, but part of me wishes I would not have listened to those guys. I still have my Bersa, although it's a classroom piece now. I still have that old XD .40SC too.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've eventually ended up in the Springfield/CZ camp myself, but I must say one of the most surprising pistols I've ever had the pleasure of shooting was a fairly recent model Ruger SR9C. It was under $400 brand-new, had a phenomenal trigger, was very accurate, and super easy to take care of. Never a single hiccup with it, it performed perfectly.

Last edited:

mjblazor

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 28, 2011
    I will pay for something I want. Most of my guns are not for "self defense purpose" most of them are for fun. If a gun I want is over a 1000 then I will either not get it or pay that much. If u cant afford that much or don't see the point that is up to u. But I will save for something I really want if it is to much.

Same here. I bought a Dan Wesson RZ45 Heritage 1911. I love it. But I love my CM9 too! I got into hunting guns, then self-defense, then collectors, then poly's. I only bought guns I liked. The only difference as I see it are the cheapos just cost less. They all did the same job effectively. Now I own a combo of all. I once asked a counter sales guy at Cabela's if he ever shot a CM9 before to just for his opinion when considering it for purchase. He snob-like responded "No...I only shoot 1911's, I won't mess with anything but 45 cal". I have the DW and a Colt WW1 Repro Caledonia Blued that my Dad gave me. I'd sell the DW if It was only gun I could afford. But I'm lucky. Point is they are ALL good if U like them.

Last edited:

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Wow, 14 pages of bait taken; hook, line and sinker. Impressive. This thread was a fun read, even if it was started off a smartly worded troll. Plus it had some good one liners.

mattyd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Value is all in the perception of the owner. As previously posted there is a difference between cheap and inexpensive. Sobbishness is more of a personality trait than a firearm purchase in my experience.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Wow, 14 pages of bait taken; hook, line and sinker. Impressive. This thread was a fun read, even if it was started off a smartly worded troll. Plus it had some good one liners.

Do you know this because you're the one who started the topic?

Top Bottom