• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    If your choices meet your needs, why do you care what other people think and say? Is it possible that you agree with them, but don't want to admit it?

nope there are in fact a few guns on the market i would not buy with your money. that does not mean i would talk down to someone for buying those guns

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I don't own any sub $400 guns, guess I'm a snob. Well, wait a sec, I do have a ruger 10/22 and 1930's Stevens tube fed bolt action .22lr that probably wouldn't fetch $200. I'm not a snob after all. Hooray

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I'm all for my 3rd gen S&W's 4506-1, 5906, 3906, 3913, 6906, as well as wanting to collect the 2nd gen series. Gave my wife my 669 so she has something that is 1000% more reliable than the HP22 she had.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have in the past owned many sub $400 guns both long and short. I have had issues with a few of them.
    I am at a point in my life that I have requirements in my guns both long and short. Just because we tend to move up the ladder with time does not make us snobs.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I'm all for my 3rd gen S&W's 4506-1, 5906, 3906, 3913, 6906, as well as wanting to collect the 2nd gen series. Gave my wife my 669 so she has something that is 1000% more reliable than the HP22 she had.

I'm like you, I have several S&W's a 39 no dash, 5926, 669, 5904 and a 459. Good reliable guns for the money.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I have in the past owned many sub $400 guns both long and short. I have had issues with a few of them.
    I am at a point in my life that I have requirements in my guns both long and short. Just because we tend to move up the ladder with time does not make us snobs.

I still own guns that I paid less than $400 for, but then gas was .35 a gallon back then.:)

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    In the end it comes down to brass tacks. The gun has to put up or shut up. Some guns perform and others don't and can't back up false claims that they are in the same league as a glock or an m&p (use those ad examples because you mentioned them OP). Hi points are pieces of ****. But there are guys who will swear by them. Be stupid that's fine but facts and performance are undeniable.
    if refusing to own anything less than a proven reliable gun then I'll proudly own the title gun snob.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    In the end it comes down to brass tacks. The gun has to put up or shut up. Some guns perform and others don't and can't back up false claims that they are in the same league as a glock or an m&p (use those ad examples because you mentioned them OP). Hi points are pieces of ****. But there are guys who will swear by them. Be stupid that's fine but facts and performance are undeniable.
    if refusing to own anything less than a proven reliable gun then I'll proudly own the title gun snob.
    QFT!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    My main two carry guns are SR9c and a Kahr. Not because they are "cheap" but because I like them. I don't buy into this whole if it isn't [STRIKE]glock[/STRIKE], sig, HK and walther it's junk. Atleast most of the "crappy cheap" guns these snobs talk about are American made. ;)

Fixed. Maybe. Still mulling over "Walther."

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Fixed. Maybe. Still mulling over "Walther."

Walther has both good and bad pistols. The German built P99s were excellent as were many of their early models. PPQ and PPS seem solid. The PK380, PPX and CCP (or whatever it is) are not elitist pistols by any means.

oh and nothing elitist about a Glock, XD or M&P either. Those are bread and butter run of the mill consumer pistols anymore.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    oh and nothing elitist about a Glock, XD or M&P either. Those are bread and butter run of the mill consumer pistols anymore.

+1 Since they really do not cost much or are very hard to get, I would say they just favorites for certain groups. I would hardly consider them "elitist". Happy for anyone who likes them, but it is not like it is a small elite group, like owners of Crown grade H&H double rifles.

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    this thread reminds me of the motorcycle helmet threads - "got a $100 head, get a $100 helmet" blah blah blah - regardless of the many hobbies I have my main pursuit is the deal, not the just the product. Win some lose some, as far as good guns under $400 I'm sure they certainly out number (in total units) good guns over say $800. Does it fit your hand, does it fit your needs , does it fit your budget, does it go bang EVERY time.......... my $100 helmet is just fine ;)

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Buy whatever one wants.

Just don't talk a cheapy up if you can't prove it's got the goods.

The issue here is the reverse. Dont talk a cheapy down just because you dont like them... If you had a bad experience, we appreciate any lessons you might have learned, or warnings you can give. But there are far too many cases of hating something just because its cheap. Case in point would be the Rock Island 1911 threads, where everyone kept bashing them. So I produced a RIA customer satisfaction poll, and it was a walkover... 113 people either personally owned, or personally knew someone who owned one and was happy with it. Only 14 people had or knew someone who owned one and wasnt happy with it. Yet still, when they get brought up, theyre bashed. IMO, thats snobbery... There is alot of that around here.. I might add, most of it when 1911's are brought up... Anytime there is smug value on a product, something more than service and value you can get out of something, you get people who are snobs. Just because you own expensive guns, doesnt mean your a snob. Dont be offended here. Because if your a snob, chances are you know it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The issue here is the reverse. Dont talk a cheapy down just because you dont like them... If you had a bad experience, we appreciate any lessons you might have learned, or warnings you can give. But there are far too many cases of hating something just because its cheap. Case in point would be the Rock Island 1911 threads, where everyone kept bashing them. So I produced a RIA customer satisfaction poll, and it was a walkover... 113 people either personally owned, or personally knew someone who owned one and was happy with it. Only 14 people had or knew someone who owned one and wasnt happy with it. Yet still, when they get brought up, theyre bashed. IMO, thats snobbery... There is alot of that around here.. I might add, most of it when 1911's are brought up... Anytime there is smug value on a product, something more than service and value you can get out of something, you get people who are snobs. Just because you own expensive guns, doesnt mean your a snob. Dont be offended here. Because if your a snob, chances are you know it.
    Well, I wasn't privy to your personal opinion poll, but my experience with 3 RIA 1911's was waaay less than mediocre! I had a friend who wanted a 1911 pistol, but was on a severe budget, so we, him and I purchaseed a couple RIA's. Neither one would function a full Wilson magazine of 230 gr ball out of the box. I tweaked mine enough to get a couple mags through, but his was sent back, and replaced with another, that again wouldn't cycle 230 gr ball with premium magazines.

Top Bottom