• ...and so much more!
  • 88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Sometimes, I believe on certain items after a certain price point there seems to be diminishing returns compared to other products, especially when looking at how the user will be using the product. It doesn't mean that that <brand y> isn't worth the money, but there are many times when <brand x> will suffice for the users intended purpose.

In the end, the value of something is what you place in it regardless of the cost. If you know nothing about guns, don't care about MIM vs tool steel, think that hand fitting is archaic and feel the best finish is bare plastic, then an Ed Brown would be totally lost on you even if you bought it for $300. But, if you value quality hand crafted workmanship and look at the end result of a good machinist as a form of art, then the value is well worth whatever it cost you.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Yeah, I don't think the OP's been here long enough to understand the difference between brand loyalty/preference and true gun snob.

Me, I'm a true gun snob. I have two HKs now. I'm not even going to try and deny the snob status. :):

All HK owners are gun snobs. It's automatic. ;)

I'm not a "gun snob" but if it's anything other than a CZ it's a piece of crap.

I've just come to the conclusion that if it isn't really expensive, I don't like it :)

A $5 S&W knife may cut, but that $500 knife will be better quality and look a hell of a lot better.

Own a gun that is only worth $100 (rough shape S&W 1000 and a built 10/22 that I'm $105 into) and a couple rifles over 2K (stock ARs), handguns in the mix in between the 2 values. At the moment I like quality over quantity and have thinned the heard a bit even if the firearms shot well or were perfectly fine.

I own a M&P, but my Hi Powers, 1911s, and M11-A1 still feel better and I have high hopes for a P210 I've been saving for.

Optics are the same way, scope rings, mounts, knives.

I take pride in my firearms so I like to get things that I will enjoy the most....unfortunately at this time those things cost more.

Still no matter what won't like Hi Points, Jennings, Davis, Jimenez, Phoenix, and a couple other brands. Call me what you like but I have to draw the line somewhere.

If your gun didn't cost at least $800, it will set on fire if you use +P ammo. Hollow points will fail to feed in such a spectacular fashion they will actually be set off in the magazine, causing them to rebound off the feed ramp and fly at the shooter. 83,241 people were blinded by this last year alone. Sub $800 firearms have grips made of greased glass, recoil springs are generally reclaimed MIM paper clips repurposed, and are rifled by dragging a sand burr through the barrel blank. If that's what you are willing to trust your life to, fine by me.

Liking finer things in life does not = Snob
    60" flat screen Vs. 19" tube
    Ribeye vs skirt
    Northern TP vs generic
    Coke vs. BigK

I love shooting my Sig., eating my steak, watching football on the big, and wiping my butt with a glock, and drinking a coke. That is just me.

The best is just good enough for me!:)

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    In the end, the value of something is what you place in it regardless of the cost. If you know nothing about guns, don't care about MIM vs tool steel, think that hand fitting is archaic and feel the best finish is bare plastic, then an Ed Brown would be totally lost on you even if you bought it for $300. But, if you value quality hand crafted workmanship and look at the end result of a good machinist as a form of art, then the value is well worth whatever it cost you.

Agreed. What I have seen most on INGO is individuals recommending that a user gets an higher tier gun for something that they just want to use as a plinker (mainly in the AR discussions). There are many times where a lower quality brand will fit the bill for what the user intends, but people claiming anything less than a Colt is crap.

I like my higher quality guns and accessories. I don't own too many due to the cost but I saw the value in the end result. Its just like recommending a Aimpoint/trijicon to put on a 22lr rifle/pistol. If you want to and can afford it, go for it, but it doesnt mean a different cheaper brand wouldn't work.

Last edited:

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    ok and again maybe im not being clear.some joking a kidding will always go on it is unavoidable. what im trying to say is why discourage someone who has the good sense to realize they need a gun instead of bashing their choice of guns why not encourage them to keep on learning from the community instead running them off by telling them how stupid they are for buying such & such gun

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    That is NOT a quality post.

134835067955.jpg

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I see a lot of people in these forums and you tube touting Glock or M&P or this that or the other. they all seem to have one thing in common they are gun snobs. now i realize that some guns are in fact just better, but just because a gun cost less than $400.00 does not mean it is automatically a bad gun. i have owned many cheap guns that did what they were supposed to do. that being to go bang when the trigger is pulled. for self defense purposes 21 feet is all the distance on average a gun needs to be accurate at and even a derringer can hit at that distance. so for the purposes of this thread i'd like to hear from some of you guys who dont just own 500-1000 dollar guns and who find the guns you can afford perfectly fine for their designed task

You used a word that I often times do not. CHEAP. there is a big differance between a cheap gun and an inexpensive one. I would probably be one that you consider a gun snob, I prefer to spend my money in a smart fashion. Sometimes I fall victem to the "its new and bada$$ and I have to have it". I do have several inexpensive guns and dont discount a guns quality due to its cost. Also though, just because a gun costs a bunch doesnt mean its well put together. I have had multiple issues with kimbers and colts, both of which are pricey.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    You used a word that I often times do not. CHEAP. there is a big differance between a cheap gun and an inexpensive one. /QUOTE]

And let's face it. Different members of this board would have a different viewpoint on what is inexpensive and what isn't. Some people consider a new Glock expensive some don't.

Some think anything polymer is cheap others think that is the only choice to go with in modern times.

We all have our own way of looking at things based upon our age, experience, disposable income, etc.

Not just with guns, look at the differences in optics. Some guys think a S&B or Nightforce are the only scopes worth buying. Some think there isn't any reason not to just buy the under $100 scope from Walmart.

lazarus0213

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.4%
    62   1   1
    Jan 29, 2010
    Eden
    I absolutly agree , your dollar is worth what you want it to be worth. I have always been told you get what you pay for, I dont agree with that. You are lucky if you really get what you have paid for, you normally get less. There is a pretty big spread on what someone thinks is expensive and what is not. All in all it really just boils down to what you want and what you are willing to pay.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Liking finer things in life does not = Snob
    60" flat screen Vs. 19" tube
    Ribeye vs skirt
    Northern TP vs generic
    Coke vs. BigK

I love shooting my Sig., eating my steak, watching football on the big, and wiping my butt with a glock, and drinking a coke. That is just me.

Ribeye happens to be my hands-down favorite cut of steak. But, different cuts have different uses. If I want a big steak, a salad, and a glass of wine, give me the ribeye. But if I want to make a quesadilla, give me the skirt steak.

As for the OP: my first gun purchase was a $430 Ruger SR9c. It remains my EDC, and I recently bought a second one, for travel, for $409. I love my Rugers (I also have an SR22 pistol, a 10/22 takedown, and my newest, a M77/44). I think they're great quality for the price. I've seen lots of people here who love their chosen brand, but compared to other places, I can't say I've run into any gun "snobs".

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    Sure, there's a fair assortment of opinionated, hard-headed, and..... "enthusiastic" supporters of certain mindsets on INGO. Whether it's Glock - 1911, OC - CC, paper or plastic, someone here will give you their two-cents! I can't say I've seen anything I remotely consider snobbery though.

I'm opinionated, hard-headed, and..... "enthusiastic" and don't always see eye to eye with others on the interwebz. Some of the posts on INGO can LOOK like some of the same old crap you see on other forums - Everyone is the smartest guy in the room because they've read every forum post and article on the internet and their uncle's, cousin's, brother-in-law who is a HSLDDELTASEALOPERATOR, deputy Sheriff and a lawyer told them it's true. It seems INGO has more folks that have actually DONE what it is they have a strong opinion about. Yes there are some know-it-all idiots with no clue what they're talking about.........but, I don't post that often so after you read this add me to your ignore list and you'll be good.

A few examples: If you hang around a while and read you'll see that when ChurchMouse says a Springfield Range officer is a great value for a top quality 1911 it's not because after a bunch of reading that was the first and only 1911 HE bought so it HAS to be the best choice, It's because over MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY, MANY ;) years He has owned and shot multiple copies almost every flavor of 1911 out there. When He say's something about a 1911, I listen.

Every gun forum has plenty of people who are sure everyone but them won't last 2 seconds if they ever "need" their gun - they've read everything there is and "X" is the only way to train. His buddy will back him up and add that in the one and only class he took they said "y", like the other people train, will get you killed so bad "in the real world" that your old best friend you haven't even seen since 6th grade will die too! On INGO there is a whole gaggle of active users that are firearms trainers professionally. Like that's actually their day-job! Some own the training and consulting companies they work for. When they state a strong opinion on training and tactics, like how pointing real guns at each other is BAD, it comes from doing it day-in and day-out with hundreds of students. Not because they just watched a Soldier of Fortune do-it-at-home instructional video last week on their BetaMax and the same uncle's cousin's brother-in-law said so.

There are also quite a few members that are full time police officers and even a handful of practicing attorneys to boot.

So yes, like a lot of gun forums there are plenty of strong opinions here. On the surface some of it could look like snobbery. What makes INGO different than most other gun forums in my eyes is that there is generally MUCH more experience behind those opinions. That's why INGO is one of the very few gun forums I read and about the only one I ever post on.

Hang out a bit, read and enjoy. They really do grow on you after a while!

For the rest of INGO: Ok, If that isn't enough A$$kissing for some damn rep points or the secret handshake screw all y'all! I'm heading to ARFCOM!

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I've seen less brand snobbery than condescending implications that "settling" for less expensive guns might as well be a death sentence. "How much is your life worth?" "Save longer instead of buying cheap" "Wait and find a good used one" and such are heard fairly often. Take a look at the "trust your life to a clone" thread for numerous examples. That advice is all well and good, but such sayings aren't really constructive when $250 for a Keltech P-11 truly IS a week's take-home pay. And it takes you eight weeks of bologna sandwich lunches to scrimp it together. And your wife is hesitant to see the value of any gun and would much rather spend that $250 on new (used) tires for the car before winter. And on and on. For lots of people, buying a gun means real sacrifice.

Nobody wants a trash gun, and we all know that there are sub-$300 guns that are pure trash and ones that are decent buys for the money. It sure would be nice if more people were willing to help others find the decent ones.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    i guess i'm an oddity in the gun world. i like the Taurus for the way it fits my hand and the price i like the 1911 for it's beauty and elegance and i like a glock for it's function and sheer numbers i even like kel-tec i desperately want one of their pmr-30's in .22mag i'd love to get my hands on a s&w 500 any of the desert eagles (even though i have fired the DE .44mag and didn't like it) they are beautiful guns. i can't think of a gun on the market i wouldn't own if i had the money

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    i guess i'm an oddity in the gun world. i like the Taurus for the way it fits my hand and the price i like the 1911 for it's beauty and elegance and i like a glock for it's function and sheer numbers i even like kel-tec i desperately want one of their pmr-30's in .22mag i'd love to get my hands on a s&w 500 any of the desert eagles (even though i have fired the DE .44mag and didn't like it) they are beautiful guns. i can't think of a gun on the market i wouldn't own if i had the money

Sounds like you are no different than most of us in your tastes. I like Glocks for practical carry but I have a bigger collection of 1911s than I ever will Glocks. I own Glocks for their practicality and 1911s for their soul. I'm a fan of CZs because they are the cadillac of 9mm pistols and are just plain sweet to shoot. For the most part, I prefer my 9mms to be CZ format, .40/10mm to be Glock and .45 to be 1911. In those groupings, I have pistols that work very well regardless of cost. I've sold some higher end pistols that I lost interest in and kept some inexpensive pistols that I like. I've also sold inexpensive pistols that I hated (PF9) and bought expensive pistols I love. To each, his own. We should do what makes us happy and if someone trashes our favorite gun, who cares? Everyone has an opinion and nobody's opinion is based on the same set of experiences.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Sounds like you are no different than most of us in your tastes. I like Glocks for practical carry but I have a bigger collection of 1911s than I ever will Glocks. I own Glocks for their practicality and 1911s for their soul. I'm a fan of CZs because they are the cadillac of 9mm pistols and are just plain sweet to shoot. For the most part, I prefer my 9mms to be CZ format, .40/10mm to be Glock and .45 to be 1911. In those groupings, I have pistols that work very well regardless of cost. I've sold some higher end pistols that I lost interest in and kept some inexpensive pistols that I like. I've also sold inexpensive pistols that I hated (PF9) and bought expensive pistols I love. To each, his own. We should do what makes us happy and if someone trashes our favorite gun, who cares? Everyone has an opinion and nobody's opinion is based on the same set of experiences.

Pretty much what he said ^^ except I don't have anything in .40 or 10mm. I carry my Glocks to work because if I am rolling around in dirt and grease I don't mind if my Glocks get beat up. I love my CZs and 1911s much more and consider them my "day off" guns. If I'm working its a Glock on my hip. If I'm out getting groceries or with my fiance I probably have one of my CZs or a 1911 on me.

Top Bottom