• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    I've just come to the conclusion that if it isn't really expensive, I don't like it :)

A $5 S&W knife may cut, but that $500 knife will be better quality and look a hell of a lot better.

Own a gun that is only worth $100 (rough shape S&W 1000 and a built 10/22 that I'm $105 into) and a couple rifles over 2K (stock ARs), handguns in the mix in between the 2 values. At the moment I like quality over quantity and have thinned the heard a bit even if the firearms shot well or were perfectly fine.

I own a M&P, but my Hi Powers, 1911s, and M11-A1 still feel better and I have high hopes for a P210 I've been saving for.

Optics are the same way, scope rings, mounts, knives.

I take pride in my firearms so I like to get things that I will enjoy the most....unfortunately at this time those things cost more.

Still no matter what won't like Hi Points, Jennings, Davis, Jimenez, Phoenix, and a couple other brands. Call me what you like but I have to draw the line somewhere.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    It's purely a matter of opinion. Just because one person doesn't like or won't buy an inexpensive gun, doesn't mean you shouldn't if you like it. When it comes to quality, some people enjoy or need higher quality, others don't. Higher quality alone does not make someone a snob, just like someone who doesn't trust an inexpensive firearm isn't a snob. Firearms are like beer, many brands, styles, sizes, prices to choose from, most will get you from A to B. The only choice lies in which one you prefer.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Yeah, I don't think the OP's been here long enough to understand the difference between brand loyalty/preference and true gun snob.

Me, I'm a true gun snob. I have two HKs now. I'm not even going to try and deny the snob status. :):
    W

Welcome to the club... I have SEVERAL HKs and the rebate isn't helping my wallet much...but it is helping add to the collection...I think a USP 9mm may find its way home with me soon and maybe a can to go with it...

I do love my HKs, but I have had several less expensive guns most all have functioned flawlessly... I had a Ruger P89 that was a rockstar it would eat any ammo that you tossed in it and I bought it for 175 bucks...kind of funny that I traded it and some other goodies for a P7... My 2 Gen 1 Glocks are pretty selective as to what ammo they tolerate, I think I paid around 300 bucks each for them way back when... Then I was introduced to the USP series in the early 90's...love them...

Right now I am working on collecting the cowboy guns in 22LR for my little one to start playing cowboy soon...relatively inexpensive...

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Do share.

Very first carry gun I bought was a used FEG Hi Power clone for $180. Up until then I carried a hand me down Charter Arms revolver. I even have even owned and carried Taurus 85s. All cost $250 or less.
    I usually carry a Taurus .380. I wanted something that I wouldn't mind getting scratched while I'm on the ground and/or scraping into stuff. I'm not a huge Taurus fan but it functions properly and I trust it.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If your gun didn't cost at least $800, it will set on fire if you use +P ammo. Hollow points will fail to feed in such a spectacular fashion they will actually be set off in the magazine, causing them to rebound off the feed ramp and fly at the shooter. 83,241 people were blinded by this last year alone. Sub $800 firearms have grips made of greased glass, recoil springs are generally reclaimed MIM paper clips repurposed, and are rifled by dragging a sand burr through the barrel blank. If that's what you are willing to trust your life to, fine by me.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN
    I'd like to lock the OP in a room with one of the higher end collectors who have racks of five figure guns and watch his head explode.

Also, a Glock is one of the least snobbish weapons there is. No one with any sense pays more than five hundred for one, and they tend to be more reliable and serviceable than some of the ultrabudget options. Plenty of "name brand" guns can be had for reasonable prices. When I see guys with collections full of Kel-Tecs, Tauruses, SKSes, and 91-30s I just assume that they're bad at impulse control and can't be bothered to save for another week or two to get something well-made.

Not that there aren't deals to be had. I will forever regret not snapping up a couple of those Argentine 1927s when they showed up for at $250 each in decent shape.

bjenkins

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Jul 4, 2014
    jeffersonville
    Love my 1911 Springers and Kimbers but also enjoy shooting my Glocks just as much! It is still fun to watch a pure shooter which I am not walk in and shoot a less expensive gun right beside the guy with the 3,000 custom and shoot just as well if not better!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    broke can be fixed if you wish it to be, and is not an excuse!

This is absolutely true. It might take time and it might take additional resources and/or training, but you can do things to be paid better at your main job, or get odd jobs or a second job to earn more. I've been in the computer field for 21 years and still don't make what I think I should. I sat down with my boss yesterday and told her I needed her to work out a plan to get me to another level and we're doing that together next week. It won't immediately make me more, but over time I should be able to move up the ladder and earn more, while becoming more valuable to my company and team. Over the years, I've worked odd jobs, built computers for people, did work repairing computers and various other things to make ends meet, or to get something I was looking at obtaining. It's all in what you want and how you go about getting it.

Sorry for the mini rant. Too many people throw the broke card, myself included at times. Yes I get envious talking to people who can seemingly buy a new high end gun every other day, but I have no one to blame for my own situation than myself. Same for you, whoever YOU are.

Anyway, to the main point, I agree with most who say buy and use what you like and can afford. Most of my collection are Glocks and M&P's. Most are around the $400 - $500 mark and they function just fine. I recently branched out and bought an entry level 1911 and while I'm not a snob, I certainly can see the appeal of higher end weapons. To each their own is my take on it. If a $400 gun does it for you, that's fine. You'll save money and be just as happy as someone with a $3k gun. Don't worry about what other people say or do, just do what works best for you.

johnwhite

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2014
    bedford
    ok i think my point was either missed or i did not make it clear. i am not against thousand dollar guns there are a few on my wish list right now, but what i see is people putting down other gun owners because they own a hi-point or kel-tech and not a glock or high end 1911. hi-points suck to me but not because they dont go bang when you need them the newer hi-point are fairly decent i dont like them cause they're just to damn bulky FOR MY TASTE dont mean i'll poke fun at someone for owning one. to be clear any firearm you own is better than nothing and i applaud anyone for having the good sense to take responsibility for their and their families safety no matter what their budget may be or their preference in brand names

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    ok i think my point was either missed or i did not make it clear. i am not against thousand dollar guns there are a few on my wish list right now, but what i see is people putting down other gun owners because they own a hi-point or kel-tech and not a glock or high end 1911. hi-points suck to me but not because they dont go bang when you need them the newer hi-point are fairly decent i dont like them cause they're just to damn bulky FOR MY TASTE dont mean i'll poke fun at someone for owning one. to be clear any firearm you own is better than nothing and i applaud anyone for having the good sense to take responsibility for their and their families safety no matter what their budget may be or their preference in brand names
    I bet you really got upset back when the Yugos were on the road and the butt of everyone's jokes. People are always going to make fun of something. I also think it is funny that I have seen way more jokes about Glocks than any other make over my years here. I mean is there an uglier gun out there. What was that shortcut for kaboom you used to see all the time k!bm or something. Next might be 1911s. Let's face it, the only reason people carry them is so they can club the guy to death as everyone knows they won't fire dependably. Yet you are upset because people make fun of your hipoint... I agree there have been jokes about them, but not the only one.

dshaf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2010
    Wouldn't consider most people on ingo snobs. We probably all are all overzealous sometimes when promoting our particular favorite gun. That being said, I enjoy all reviews of any gun no matter it's value, and even if owning it is out of my price range.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    And we have the reverse snobs. As I recall, we had someone type here awhile back that their RIA was just as good, if not better, than a WC...

THE BIG SITT

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Greenwood
    Buying an expensive gun doesn't make you a snob. Telling other people that if they don't buy the expensive gun over the cheaper (but still capable) gun makes someone a snob. There isn't too much of that here. Go over to ar15.com however, and all bets are off.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Are they a reverse snob or just delusional?
    From your tone, I think we would be in agreement on that one...
    But how many times have we seen, get <brand x> and spend the rest on ammo and training. It is just as good as overpriced <brand y>.

minx

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    SW Indiana
    Liking finer things in life does not = Snob
    60" flat screen Vs. 19" tube
    Ribeye vs skirt
    Northern TP vs generic
    Coke vs. BigK

I love shooting my Sig., eating my steak, watching football on the big, and wiping my butt with a glock, and drinking a coke. That is just me.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    From your tone, I think we would be in agreement on that one...
    But how many times have we seen, get <brand x> and spend the rest on ammo and training. It is just as good as overpriced <brand y>.

Sometimes, I believe on certain items after a certain price point there seems to be diminishing returns compared to other products, especially when looking at how the user will be using the product. It doesn't mean that that <brand y> isn't worth the money, but there are many times when <brand x> will suffice for the users intended purpose.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Everybody is entitled to enjoy what they buy, no matter the price. Snobbery comes in when they come to the conclusion that they have the worlds best gun and everyone that does not own and carry one daily is an idiot. That happens at all ends of the price scale. People are called idiots for spending too much on a carry gun and people are called idiots for spending too little. Fortunately, that's fairly rare on INGO. Sure, we give each other some grief once in a while but it's generally done for fun. The point is, snobs come in all flavors. There are probably more RIA snobs than Ed Brown snobs, but fortunately not many of either.

To the OPs original point though, there are a lot of great sub-500 dollar guns. My favorites have been a couple of Bersas, a Hi Power clone and a $289 pre-B CZ 75. All have been carry worthy and I don't remember ever getting any real flak for owning or carrying those. I have to imagine most Hi Points are working just fine as a nightstand gun.

Top Bottom