• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nick223

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2014
    Indy
    For a firearm praise in a movie, Heat with Robert Deniro was the first movie I've seen where they press checked their pistols before they did stuff.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For a firearm praise in a movie, Heat with Robert Deniro was the first movie I've seen where they press checked their pistols before they did stuff.

Because that's a Michael Mann movie. His actors all went through GunSite with Jeff Cooper instructing.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    My favorite on screen firearms blunder goes back to the 50's when I was a kid. In this 5th season opener of "The Rifleman", Chuck Connors first twirls his rifle to cock it and chamber a round. He then drops to the crouched position and levers the action yet again. Which would have ejected the live round he just chambered into the dirt.

[video=youtube;8kdf_gCg_VM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kdf_gCg_VM[/video]

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby

Because that's a Michael Mann movie. His actors all went through GunSite with Jeff Cooper instructing.

If I remember correctly, Val Kilmer got to the point of reloading an AR fast enough to do a reloading race with the movies firearm consultant.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    ...also shooting through the windshield was pretty badass (also in the Town, IIRC)

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    If I remember correctly, Val Kilmer got to the point of reloading an AR fast enough to do a reloading race with the movies firearm consultant.
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Kilmer mentioned the most flattering compliment he got was when the movie was shown to the Marines. The commander said...."If you maggots can't change a clip as fast as that actor, get out of my Army!" It's at 2:05 in the clip.

[video=youtube;gW0yebyGk-8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW0yebyGk-8[/video]

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    As great of a movie shootout scene as "Heat" was, it did have it's share of editing screw ups. The most classic is when the rear view mirror in the getaway car falls off twice. First at 5:05 and then again at 5:08. Amazing that no one caught it before it got out of production.

[video=youtube;ZL9fnVtz_lc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL9fnVtz_lc[/video]

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona

Actually Jeff Cooper and Gunsite had nothing to do with the production of the movie "Heat". Mann used Andy Mcnab and Mick Gould as technical weapons trainers for the cast. All the actual live round training was done at the Orange County police ranges, not Gunsite.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Actually Jeff Cooper and Gunsite had nothing to do with the production of the movie "Heat". Mann used Andy Mcnab and Mick Gould as technical weapons trainers for the cast. All the actual live round training was done at the Orange County police ranges, not Gunsite.

I'm not just talking about Heat. I'm talking about Mann's works overall, because he was big on Cooper's methods.
    The interviews with Mann's actors (like Dennis Farina, John Santucci, James Caan, etc.) are great.
    Heat isn't the only movie in which they did "real" things in real time.
    For instance, in "Thief" (which has got to be my favorite), the equipment they used wasn't a bunch of props. They were actual pieces from heists. Some of the "technical advisers" were parolees. They taught Caan how to crack safes...so in the movie, he actually is doing it (as opposed to pretending for filming). Actually, I think Caan might be one of the few that never went through the whole course... but Jeff Cooper set him up with a quick crash course with Chuck Taylor.
    The best part of that movie was the real life ex-cons (like John Santucci) playing dirty cops...when in real life, Farina actually arrested Santucci for a jewel heist. That tickles me :D.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    My favorite on screen firearms blunder goes back to the 50's when I was a kid. In this 5th season opener of "The Rifleman", Chuck Connors first twirls his rifle to cock it and chamber a round. He then drops to the crouched position and levers the action yet again. Which would have ejected the live round he just chambered into the dirt.

I do not know, I just have a hard time believing that Chuck "the Rifleman" Conners could have made a mistake or error if you will...

Heck he has shot people on the show for thinking that way.... I Really believe that Mr Conners loaded his Winchester mixing AP rounds followed by a soft nosed rounds. Then as he got closer to the bad guy he saw that he was wearing body armor so he wisely ejected the 1st Soft nosed round to get his AP round online...

My God did you see the way he cooled down his barrel by just blowing in it*** This is not a man who makes mistakes..

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    How do you blow smoke out of a barrel by blowing into a closed magazine loading gate? :):

It was Chuck Conners... Thats like worrying about how "the Duke" got that 8th round into the revolver.. :)

If that gate had been open he might have blown the whole barrel off the gun....

Last edited:

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    It was Chuck Conners... Thats like worrying about how "the Duke" got that 8th round into the revolver.

What I never figured out is when he twirled the rifle to load and cock it, it didn't go off. But as soon as he levered it the second time in the crouched position it fired as soon as the lever returned to battery?????

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That really is a good question because if he had the little trigger activator on it should have gone off.. I could only guess that he did his own trigger work, Or they had a dummy round in there 1st... Or perhaps the 1st round was a dude.... and that is why he had to chamber a new round.. Back then they are shooting 30+ shows a season they do not have time for many retakes?????????

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    The Quick and the Dead.
    How much unfired ammo did the guys with lever action rifles go through? They would rack the lever every time they showed them on camera. Had to be a lot of good rounds on the ground after a scene.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Jet li lethal weapon 4
    Chan and tucker rush hour ?
    matt Damon first bourne

all disassemble a pistol that is pointing at them in a split second

IIRC, everytime this happened, it was a Beretta M92, which had a design flaw that allowed this to happen.

Not in this clip from "The Bourne Identity. Looks like a Sig maybe? He just rips it apart after he realizes he has it.

[video=youtube;SHgs3LFLBzY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHgs3LFLBzY[/video]

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    Shouldn't the thread title be "Firearms sins in movies"?

1b39dc669e864b7734a94261a75cd7d0_zps8b9ce529.jpg

Top Bottom