• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Shouldn't these be illegal then? It has a denomination on it making it worth 1/4 of a dollar

picture.php

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Shouldn't these be illegal then? It has a denomination on it making it worth 1/4 of a dollar

picture.php

If they were being used in commerce in violation of the Constitution, then yes they would be illegal. But they are not. They are game tokens with no intrinsic or redeemable value that can only be used on the Chuck E Cheese premises. You can't trade them for milk at the Handy Dandy.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Isn't the whole point of counterfeiting to make your coin indistinguishable from the original?

No, read the statute again. It does not have to be indistinguishable.

Shouldn't these be illegal then?

No, they are clearly demarcated as game tokens.

What U.S. coin had a rat on them? Oh, wait, that's the current dime!:laugh:

If you told someone that it was U.S. Currency (the blind, a fresh immigrant, etc.) then it would be Fraud under §486.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    No, read the statute again. It does not have to be indistinguishable.

Is this the portion you're talking about?

Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Whoever falsely makes, forges, or counterfeits any coin or bar in resemblance or similitude of any coin of a denomination higher than 5 cents or any gold or silver bar coined or stamped at any mint or assay office of the United States, or in resemblance or similitude of any foreign gold or silver coin current in the United States or in actual use and circulation as money within the United States; or

Which U.S. coin has LIBERTYDOLLAR.ORG stamped on it along with a 1-800 number?

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    If they were being used in commerce in violation of the Constitution, then yes they would be illegal. But they are not. They are game tokens with no intrinsic or redeemable value that can only be used on the Chuck E Cheese premises. You can't trade them for milk at the Handy Dandy.

If I took these to Handy Dandy and convinced the woman behind the counter to give me a Twinkie for 8 of those coins. Then she took her kids to Chuck E Cheese and spent said coins instead of buying her own would that be illegal? That is exactly what Liberty Dollars were doing.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    If I took these to Handy Dandy and convinced the woman behind the counter to give me a Twinkie for 8 of those coins. Then she took her kids to Chuck E Cheese and spent said coins instead of buying her own would that be illegal? That is exactly what Liberty Dollars were doing.

People were spending them a Chuck E Cheese? I knew those games were rigged! :xmad:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009

If you took them to Handy Dandy and bartered them, you'd be OK. If you tried to convince someone they were money, or you used them amongst a group of people as currency, you wouldn't be OK.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    If you took them to Handy Dandy and bartered them, you'd be OK. If you tried to convince someone they were money, or you used them amongst a group of people as currency, you wouldn't be OK.

So the issue isn't that the coins resembled U.S. currency at all, the issue is that they tried to form their own currency independent of the official U.S. currency? That's where he actually broke the law?

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    From what I remember, it seemed the Govt., even though they didn't like the guy and his "dollars", didn't act until he started stating the Liberty coins were "legal tender" money in advertisements for his coins. I seem to recall CoinWorld bringing that up repeatedly in articles at the time.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    So the issue isn't that the coins resembled U.S. currency at all, the issue is that they tried to form their own currency independent of the official U.S. currency? That's where he actually broke the law?

Exactly. The Constitution makes coining money the exclusive purview of the federal government. If you create your own money you are in violation of the Constitution and federal law. While I haven't gone through the record I believe that they marketed liberty dollars as a currency replacement.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Exactly. The Constitution makes coining money the exclusive purview of the federal government. If you create your own money you are in violation of the Constitution and federal law. While I haven't gone through the record I believe that they marketed liberty dollars as a currency replacement.

Would you please cite the specific federal laws and the verbiage in the constitution that prohibits individuals from bartering with their own currency?

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Would you please cite the specific federal laws and the verbiage in the constitution that prohibits individuals from bartering with their own currency?

How many times do I have to do that in this thread?

Section 8 of the Constitution establishes the Congress shall have to power to coin and regulate the value of money.

Section 10 of the Constitution establishes the States (and therefore the people) may not coin money.

18 USC §486
    18 USC §489

Check out the search warrant affidavit for some additional information.

http://www.johnlocke.org/site-docs/meckdeck/pdfs/USAVLibdoll.pdf

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    How many times do I have to do that in this thread?

Section 8 of the Constitution establishes the Congress shall have to power to coin and regulate the value of money.

Section 10 of the Constitution establishes the States (and therefore the people) may not coin money.

18 USC §486
    18 USC §489

Check out the search warrant affidavit for some additional information.

http://www.johnlocke.org/site-docs/meckdeck/pdfs/USAVLibdoll.pdf

Section 8 says nothing that prohibits individuals from making coins.

Section 10 is talking about states...how do you make the jump to assume that anything in the constitution restricting a state also restricts individuals?

18 USC §489 only talks about making currency that resembles official currencies.

18 USC §486 seems to be the only one of these that actually applies. However, according to webster, the definition of "Current Money" is

lawful or universally acceptable money

His currency was neither lawful nor universally acceptable, was it?

Last edited:

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    He was convicted of Fraud, He never claimed it was legal tender, the prosecution presented that he made it look enough like real money and the fact he asked vendors who accepted them to try and give them as change constituted fraud. To a jury of his " peers" this felt like fraud

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Section 8 says nothing that prohibits individuals from making coins.

Section 10 is talking about states...how do you make the jump to assume that anything in the constitution restricting a state also restricts individuals?

18 USC §489 only talks about making currency that resembles official currencies.

18 USC §486 seems to be the only one of these that actually applies. However, according to webster, the definition of "Current Money" is

His currency was neither lawful nor universally acceptable, was it?

I keep forgetting you went to law school. What school was it and when did you graduate again?

Top Bottom