Federal agent shoots ankle charging rat terrier in Fishers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    BTW... This was caused by a terrier. A family pet. Never underestimate your opponent. Just sayin'.

102010-cairnUK-1.jpg

that's a child, not a full grown adult that gets paid to carry a firearm....

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Fishers, no longer the 19th safest city in America. The wild and ravenous dog problem has been known by locals for years. Sad that the rest of the country must now learn about our problem in this manner.

Stonefish

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Just as a point of information they did "pit"rat terriersg historically, put them in a pit with rats and see how many rats they could kill in a given amount of time.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Well it was at night.....heard it bark, saw the shadow coming out of the bushes and thought "Pitbull".....? Got a dog, keep it on your property, why was the dog running loose after 11 pm.....?....crapping in the neighbors yard, looking for garbage to tear up.....I've seen people do this, after dark they let em go....Neighbors Rottweiller attacked me on my property, Mossberg .12 ga. stopped the attack.....Sheriff deputy to my door.....I had no problems. Personally even if I had pulled a gun on the dog the Marshal did, I would of most likey dropped kick the sucker first. Rottweillers are a different story.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Double Standards!!

I have no problem with a firearms carrier protecting themselves/others from an animal attack. It could come from a dog, mean coon, snake, or any other animal that is perceived as a danger.

What I DO have a problem with is the double standard that is being used in the "Investigation" of this discharge of a firearm. The Fishers "Talking Head", LEO, that I saw on the tube, basically said that the investigation was CLOSED!!

When these SAME situations have happened to "Joe Blow", LTCH, Private Citizen, the cases are not so "Open and Closed"!! At the minimum-Illegal Discharge of Firearm in city limits,-Unsafe firearms handling,-disturbing the peace,-or SOMETHING!!

As said, this would be NO news to Liberty Sanders..Or any other Citizen that has been "Jacked Up" over any other firearms discharge.

WTH:-THIS Guy is a Chief U.S. Marshall!!--You know--THE Bad A$$ of the Bad A$$'s around==THINK-Tommy Lee Jones..HA HA..

This CLOSED Investigation by the Fishers PD, IMO, STINKS of the "Thin Blue Line"-Good Ole Boys, cover-up...Bill.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I have no problem with a firearms carrier protecting themselves/others from an animal attack. It could come from a dog, mean coon, snake, or any other animal that is perceived as a danger.

What I DO have a problem with is the double standard that is being used in the "Investigation" of this discharge of a firearm. The Fishers "Talking Head", LEO, that I saw on the tube, basically said that the investigation was CLOSED!!

When these SAME situations have happened to "Joe Blow", LTCH, Private Citizen, the cases are not so "Open and Closed"!! At the minimum-Illegal Discharge of Firearm in city limits,-Unsafe firearms handling,-disturbing the peace,-or SOMETHING!!

As said, this would be NO news to Liberty Sanders..Or any other Citizen that has been "Jacked Up" over any other firearms discharge.

WTH:-THIS Guy is a Chief U.S. Marshall!!--You know--THE Bad A$$ of the Bad A$$'s around==THINK-Tommy Lee Jones..HA HA..

This CLOSED Investigation by the Fishers PD, IMO, STINKS of the "Thin Blue Line"-Good Ole Boys, cover-up...Bill.

I stated earlier the investigation has only begun. The Fishers PD investigation might be closed however as a FED LE there is an OI investigation as explained below. OI is an indipendent department that investigates all incidents within each Federal Department. DOJ has an OI, DHS has an OI etc etc. I can tell you of my own experience in th FED LE system and an OI case there is no "thin blue line or good ole boy system" If they are out of policy they are hammered. If it looks criminal it's referrd to OIG and they are criminally charged more times than not

Let me add something on the Federal part. It appears to most of us that bad judgement was used because of the lack of size on the dog. However if he was on his property he was well within his rights as would any propery owner. There are a 100 different ways it could go but basically cut and dried any property owner would be within their rights in this basic situation.

What happens is being a Federal LE OI will investigate it. If they find anything policy wise that he violated then they will make their recommendations on LOR, days off etc. If OI finds something possible criminal then it gets refered to OIG which is the investigations arm on possible criminal violations.

While several here have voiced they feel that LEO's, Federal in particular get away with everything any case at all like this and even someones allegation of excessive force is refered to OI and an investigation is opened.

I am not defending anyone here but just explaining a little bit on how an OI investigation works in the FED's since anyone that works for them as a LEO has been through a couple. It's just part of the checks and balance system agree or not!

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    While I feel for the little girl we are NOT talking about her. We ARE talking about a grown man. Let's not bring children into this discussion. That would be to close of a comparison to what is being attempted by the Dems in our current debate over gun control.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    And-I Thank You for your knowledge on this subject.

I stated earlier the investigation has only begun. The Fishers PD investigation might be closed however as a FED LE there is an OI investigation as explained below. OI is an indipendent department that investigates all incidents within each Federal Department. DOJ has an OI, DHS has an OI etc etc. I can tell you of my own experience in th FED LE system and an OI case there is no "thin blue line or good ole boy system" If they are out of policy they are hammered. If it looks criminal it's referrd to OIG and they are criminally charged more times than not

I'm SURE that you do know your information on this subject--

BUT--

With the Federal investigations that have been/are currently in place, I have little confidence in a PROPER investigation of this matter.

Can you say Fast and Furious?? Where is the DOJ on this subject now??

Can you say Voter Intimation?? Where is the DOJ on the matter of the Black Panthers on swing/slapping clubs around during the 2008 elections?? Yea, I know this is off point, but I DO NOT get the "Warm Fuzzes" over expecting a through investigation by the Feds on this matter either...Bill.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    So, now the self-defense debate comes down to the breed of dog? His neighbor had an unsecured dog that charged an innocent bystander. Are you guys suggesting that he SHOULD face charges for shooting an aggressive dog, or simply that you would expect to face them if you're a civilian?

Last edited:

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'm SURE that you do know your information on this subject--

BUT--

With the Federal investigations that have been/are currently in place, I have little confidence in a PROPER investigation of this matter.

Can you say Fast and Furious?? Where is the DOJ on this subject now??

Can you say Voter Intimation?? Where is the DOJ on the matter of the Black Panthers on swing/slapping clubs around during the 2008 elections?? Yea, I know this is off point, but I DO NOT get the "Warm Fuzzes" over expecting a through investigation by the Feds on this matter either...Bill.

Let me reiterate I am not defending anyone just explaining the process we "worker bee's" go through that are FED LEO's. I am like I'm sure everyone here in thinking Fast and Furious was a bad idea and very criminal however, Fast and furious was a political issue involving the AG and possible higher as well as congressional input. Not really in the same category as an OI investigation that proves/disproves if agency policy was follwed by an individual employee and if criminal refered to OIG for further review. F&F came from well above the mid management/supervisor level. Most line staff knew it was wrong but every place has a few that will do whatever the baoss says and some of us that will draw the line at CRAZY!

While I understand most folks disdain or the perception that things don't get held to certain standards I can tell you as far as the line staff and mid level and slightly higher in the GOV they are held accountible when/if an OI/OIG finds something. as far as the F&F comparison It's really no diffrent than any job where the agency heads/bosses don't quite get drug through the mud like the line staff do/would.

Again not justifing it just explaining the protocal etc.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    By general description of current legal environment: kicking/beating animals is animal cruelty, shooting them is defense or hunting.

Kick the dog away, if it comes back and gets a 2nd kick.........well some folks have been arrested for doing similar.

IMHO it's really simple, curb your pet, or get ready to plant it.

Top Bottom