Federal agent shoots ankle charging rat terrier in Fishers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Well, maybe he should have just fired a warning shot and then . . .

*phone ringing*

"Hello, this is Kirk Freeman. "

"Oh, hi, Liberty from INGO."

"Yes . . . um, yeah . . . uh huh I remember and . . . Ok"

*hanging up phone"

Ok, so warning shots may not be a good idea! Especially in Hamilton County!

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    I had a similar situation happen in my neighborhood many years ago.
    I was walking through the neighborhood when a small dog quietly attacked me from behind and bit my ankle, I tried to shoo him away but he was very quick and stayed behind me where I couldn't get at him with my feet, after several minutes of this I pulled out my revolver and just as I was lining upon him his owner shouted at him from down the street and finally got him away from me before I shot him.
    Sometimes they just won't quit on there own and you do have the right to protect yourself with whatever it takes.

Somebody like me dude.......when comes ta my dogs.....be a FATAL mistake on yer part..........an' ya would'n see it come'n,neither....:cool:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I had a similar situation happen in my neighborhood many years ago.
    I was walking through the neighborhood when a small dog quietly attacked me from behind and bit my ankle, I tried to shoo him away but he was very quick and stayed behind me where I couldn't get at him with my feet, after several minutes of this I pulled out my revolver and just as I was lining upon him his owner shouted at him from down the street and finally got him away from me before I shot him.
    Sometimes they just won't quit on there own and you do have the right to protect yourself with whatever it takes.

I used to deliver flowers part-time when I was in my early 20s. I was making a delivery, a young lady answered the door and her full size poodle was barking at me agressively from behind the partially open door. She said, "oh don't worry, he just likes to bark". I handed her the flowers and turned to walk back to my delivery truck. With my back turned, the dog got loose from behind the door, charged me from behind and bit me on my leg behind the knee, puncturing the skin right through my jeans, then ran back to the house. I still have the scar over 30 years later. The girl offered to get her dad, who was a doctor, to look at it, but I declined and went on my way. I didn't carry then. But even in that situation, I would not have shot that dog, because by the time I could react it was all over. I have never looked back on that situation and thought to myself, oh if I was carrying I would have shot. Reflecting on what this cop did to a much smaller dog in light of what happened to me with a larger dog, I think that cop was wrong, and have to think he's a real dip stick.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    FWIW, the dog's size has no relation to its capability to carry disease, including rabies.

I was charged by Rottweiller once. I did not have to shoot thanks to a Buick Park Avenue that hit it before I pressed the trigger. I owe a lot to Buick.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    FWIW, the dog's size has no relation to its capability to carry disease, including rabies.

I was charged by Rottweiller once. I did not have to shoot thanks to a Buick Park Avenue that hit it before I pressed the trigger. I owe a lot to Buick.

Gotta love Buicks! :):

Good point about the possible carrying of rabies. I was fortunate in my case. I should have let the doc at least look at it, but I was young.

Georgia A Hines

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    OK, now what I want to know, is where was the pepper Spray that they keep telling women they need to carry?. Where was his, if a little dog scares him what would a quick surprise do? You know the ones that make you jump. Keep that person away from me and mine! This is a highly trained person? I am beginning to think I need to watch everyone. Mindboggling!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm all citi-fied these days, but when I had chickens your dog's life was forfeit if he was chasing them. Just on the property I'd use rock salt to teach them to stay away, but if they were actively threatening it was lead.

Seems to be who's property the dog is on matters quite a bit. I wouldn't expect anyone to get bit on their own property by someone else's dog. FWIW I've had a few civilians shoot dogs that were behaving aggressively and not one was charged with anything. Stupid civilian-whatever-color-line (blue and green are called, pick one that's left), I guess. Or simply their actions didn't rise to the level of criminal activity, we recognized that, and were done. In at least one instance the owner of the now dead dog was cited by animal control for letting the dog run loose.

Shadow8088

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    I'd like to know how this worthless excuse for a human being thought his life was in mortal danger? Isn't that the only time a LEO is trained to even touch his firearm, let alone draw it? It was a rat terrier... tell me, please, i'm dying to know how this JBT's life was threatened by this tiny dog. Any other regular citizen would be in jail and our guns gone if we'd done the same. Glad to see there's "and justice for all". Scumbag.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    I'd like to know how this worthless excuse for a human being thought his life was in mortal danger? Isn't that the only time a LEO is trained to even touch his firearm, let alone draw it? It was a rat terrier... tell me, please, i'm dying to know how this JBT's life was threatened by this tiny dog. Any other regular citizen would be in jail and our guns gone if we'd done the same. Glad to see there's "and justice for all". Scumbag.

"Mortal Danger" is the legal standard to stop a dog attack?:rolleyes:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Then by all means, inform me.

To paraphrase, the basic standard for use of force against a HUMAN is reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm.

Indiana doesn't have a statute directly on use of force related to animal attacks so generally the common law rules are held to apply. While it has been ages since I looked them up (think Liberty Sanders case) they generally are LESS than those involving shooting humans.

I do think that shooting threatening rat terriers may say something about your intestinal fortitude (or lack thereof) or about your good judgement.

However, I am hard pressed to say it should be a crime to shoot any animal which is on your property and is threatening you; so long as it is not done in a way which threatens the life/property of those around you.

Best,

Joe

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom