Federal agent shoots ankle charging rat terrier in Fishers.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    This guy was a grade "A" douche. In an apt complex? At nite? A 20lb dog? Give me a f****n break. You or I would have charges against us but this a$$bag gets a pass?
    All you he-men stating "I'd shot it to" have the SAOFR and I sure the heck would not want you around my family or myself in these same circumstances. If that's your idea of immenent danger or serious threat of bodily harm you need to get off the couch and get out more often....maybe even take some defensive classes.
    Flame away:flamethrower:I've said my piece.

Bob

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    keep your dog on a leash and not charging people.. simple solution to that problem :dunno:
    Don't need a leash......property's electronic'ly fenced....all 2-1/4 acres of it. Yorkies......6 of'em.....an'a Beaglehound, an'a Retriever.....raised the Yorkies since birth.....yeah.....:yesway:......ALL'a dogs here'll bark,raise 9 kinds o' hell when ya come in the drive,down the road.....NONE are viscious,by any means,and never bitten anybody.....not even the strange JW's that show up 'bout ever other wk/end...LOL!...:):......after 20-30 seconds of be'n here......they just want attn......or a treat.....:cool:

You wanting to kill someone who is trying to protect themselves from an occuring dog attack is quite telling....
    Big difference in attack.......an' just chase'n yer pants legs , or stand'n there yap'n.....they're dogs......it's what they do.......:rolleyes:

like said above.....I've raised mine since they's born.....they're very social.....I've raised'em that way.....SOOoooo.....with that said.....they're like my kids.......and if ya don't think I'd send somebody on ta the big Dirt Nap over 1 of'em......I'll just say......ya would'n wanna tes' me on it.....:cool:

when comes ta yer kid(s)......YMMV......:twocents:

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    This guy was a grade "A" douche. In an apt complex? At nite? A 20lb dog? Give me a f****n break. You or I would have charges against us but this a$$bag gets a pass?
    All you he-men stating "I'd shot it to" have the SAOFR and I sure the heck would not want you around my family or myself in these same circumstances. If that's your idea of immenent danger or serious threat of bodily harm you need to get off the couch and get out more often....maybe even take some defensive classes.
    Flame away:flamethrower:I've said my piece.

Bob
    :yesway:.......good post,dude!......left a comment on your profile,LOL!.....Is this how you 'rep' a member?.....if it ain't,somebody x'plain it,hahahaha....:):

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Don't need a leash......property's electronic'ly fenced....all 2-1/4 acres of it. Yorkies......6 of'em.....an'a Beaglehound, an'a Retriever.....raised the Yorkies since birth.....yeah.....:yesway:......ALL'a dogs here'll bark,raise 9 kinds o' hell when ya come in the drive,down the road.....NONE are viscious,by any means,and never bitten anybody.....not even the strange JW's that show up 'bout ever other wk/end...LOL!...:):......after 20-30 seconds of be'n here......they just want attn......or a treat.....:cool:

Big difference in attack.......an' just chase'n yer pants legs , or stand'n there yap'n.....they're dogs......it's what they do.......:rolleyes:

like said above.....I've raised mine since they's born.....they're very social.....I've raised'em that way.....SOOoooo.....with that said.....they're like my kids.......and if ya don't think I'd send somebody on ta the big Dirt Nap over 1 of'em......I'll just say......ya would'n wanna tes' me on it.....:cool:

when comes ta yer kid(s)......YMMV......:twocents:

Might want to consider some legal training on the use of force. Unless you are just running off at the mouth.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To paraphrase, the basic standard for use of force against a HUMAN is reasonable fear of death or serious bodily harm.

Indiana doesn't have a statute directly on use of force related to animal attacks so generally the common law rules are held to apply. While it has been ages since I looked them up (think Liberty Sanders case) they generally are LESS than those involving shooting humans.

I do think that shooting threatening rat terriers may say something about your intestinal fortitude (or lack thereof) or about your good judgement.

However, I am hard pressed to say it should be a crime to shoot any animal which is on your property and is threatening you; so long as it is not done in a way which threatens the life/property of those around you.

Best,

Joe

Let me add something on the Federal part. It appears to most of us that bad judgement was used because of the lack of size on the dog. However if he was on his property he was well within his rights as would any propery owner. There are a 100 different ways it could go but basically cut and dried any property owner would be within their rights in this basic situation.

What happens is being a Federal LE OI will investigate it. If they find anything policy wise that he violated then they will make their recommendations on LOR, days off etc. If OI finds something possible criminal then it gets refered to OIG which is the investigations arm on possible criminal violations.

While several here have voiced they feel that LEO's, Federal in particular get away with everything any case at all like this and even someones allegation of excessive force is refered to OI and an investigation is opened.

I am not defending anyone here but just explaining a little bit on how an OI investigation works in the FED's since anyone that works for them as a LEO has been through a couple. It's just part of the checks and balance system agree or not!

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    There were 313,000 results I am sure something applied.

How can you be so sure? Would you stake your liberty on a Bing search?

Good luck with that defense in Court.

"I Googled it and there were over 300,000 hits your honor."

"Did any of them apply in this case?"

"I don't know. I'm sure one did."

Here's one of the 313,000 from your link:

http://www.selfdefenseresource.com/women/index.php

A women's self defense website.

And another:

http://www.lawserver.com/law/state/texas/tx-codes/texas_penal_code_9-31

Texas Penal Code.

Hotdoger

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Boone County, In.
    How can you be so sure? Would you stake your liberty on a Bing search?

Good luck with that defense in Court.

"I Googled it and there were over 300,000 hits your honor."

"Did any of them apply in this case?"

"I don't know. I'm sure one did."

Here's one of the 313,000 from your link:

Women Self-Defense

A women's self defense website.

And another:

Texas Penal Code 9.31 - Self-Defense :: Lawserver

Texas Penal Code.

The point was he wanted to be educated and I gave him a simple way to do a study because he NEEDED TO EDUCATE HIMSELF AND NOT TAKE MY WORD!

Want to discuss his idea of "mortal danger " and where it appears in Indiana code?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some people call "pit bulls" rat terriers. Could have been a bigger dog?

Story states- 20lbs. Not exactly a bigger dog;)

He was in a common area....not HIS private property
    As to the OI's- It's worked sooooo well in the past....think Ruby Ridge and go from there:whistle:

Bob

srad

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    Elkhart/Bristol, IN
    BREAKING NEWS

Revealed... US Marshall Chief Deputy William "Buzz" Brown was wearing MeatFeet Bacon Booties... IAB investigating possible entrapment.
    BaconBootiesMeatShoes_zps78582905.jpg

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    The point was he wanted to be educated and I gave him a simple way to do a study because he NEEDED TO EDUCATE HIMSELF AND NOT TAKE MY WORD!

Want to discuss his idea of "mortal danger " and where it appears in Indiana code?

With respect to an animal attack and use of force? You can Google it and find lots of results, but you won't actually find anything in the code.

With respect to an attack by a human, yes. Then you are talking reasonable fear of death or forcible felony.

Otherwise you have to look to the common/case law.

As to the discharge of a firearm in certain areas, that's another matter separate from the reason for the discharge itself.

If one wants to educate oneself on Indiana code, Google is not your friend. Try this: http://www.in.gov/legislative/ic/code/

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom