Fanatical religious terrorist incident Colorado Springs.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Me neither...That's why I turn to the witnesses that were there and the descriptions they gave of the events...IMHO a true "miracle" would be an unemployed Jewish carpenter being the most written about Man of His age having not performed Miracles....He said He was the Son of God and He had to back that up...Raising the dead, walking on water, turning water into wine and hosting the largest fish fry in history with a couple of fish and a couple of loaves of bread was what worked for the folks at that time...And fortunately we had folks around that were willing to record the events....

For all we know it might have all been true or the events were grossly exaggerated or even false. He could have been a time traveler with access to technology that can do all these things. Who knows? But to me at least the miracles are nowhere near as important as his teachings.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Incorrect. There is no "they." That passage is specific to a particular person; a prophet, in fact.

The rest of the verse:
    "...'and I appointed you a prophet to the nations.'"

Late back to the game...

The first passage is from Jeremiah, but speaks to all. The second passage is from King David and speaks to all.

Wisdom is justified of her children.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    They may be imaginary to you, but one is defined in a tangible way and one is not - via the Bible.

Religious person 'A' spouts off delusional nonsense about an arbitrary divine being who justifies every selfish and evil thing that he does.

Religious person 'B' carefully studies a book to learn about this divine being, gathers with other believers to learn and study, and lives his life trying to follow the tenets of that book, in a self-sacrificial manner.

We're using the word 'religious' to describe both people, A and B. But would you and I agree that they are not the same?

Honestly, Steve..I cannot.

To me they are both "religious", just at different points on the same spectrum. Both are invested in fantasy, and allow that fantasy to inform their real-world behavior.

Jamil has been pushing back at me, stating that it isn't "religion's fault". While I see his point, I cannot fully agree with that, either.

It is religion that pushes the idea that people will live forever after they die. It is religion that pushes the idea that people can commit evil and get a pass for it...well, government too...but that's a type of religion for some people.

I am not opposed to faith. I am not opposed to belief in gods (other than for myself). I am opposed to religion. Why?

Because all religion begins with: "I know what God/gods/the spirits/gaia/nature wants from you". That is an incredibly dangerous concept! This concept necessarily cedes spiritual knowledge to other men, and that is ripe for abuse. I can never actually know if that person speaks for the gods, or only speaks for their own agenda.

The guys who flew the planes on 9/11 thought they would be rewarded in heaven for their deeds. They didn't come up with this idea on their own. This came from their religion. Now, these ideas were actually put in their heads by other men...

...did those men actually speak for Allah? Or, is it more likely that they were speaking for their own agenda? Would the peons that actually carried out the attacks have done so had they not been convinced they would receive a divine reward? I don't think so...Sitting here, I am trying hard to think of what motivates suicide attackers, and I can only come up with two things: 1) mental incapacity, and 2) religion.

For whatever good religion does for mankind, it carries a great, perverse toxin along with it. Some people are seemingly immune to this toxin, but it's still there...waiting to poison the next person weak to its temptations.

Speaking only for myself, I'd really like it if I never heard the words "it is God's will", or "I am doing God's work", or "I am God's warrior" attached to another perverse act of violence again... and, no, I am not advocating for government intervention.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Honestly, Steve..I cannot.

To me they are both "religious", just at different points on the same spectrum. Both are invested in fantasy, and allow that fantasy to inform their real-world behavior.

You see no distinction between a practicing Christian and a delusional mentally ill person?

I guess we'll find no agreement on anything, then.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    You see no distinction between a practicing Christian and a delusional mentally ill person?

I guess we'll find no agreement on anything, then.

Choosing fantasy over reality is the definition of delusion. If your god is real, you may not be delusional...but otherwise, in fact you are.

The distinction between a delusional mentally ill person and a person that practices a religion based on fantasy is that one of those people has a good reason to be delusional.

Is Christianity a delusion? From my perspective, yes...but I am not the final arbiter of these things. I could be wrong.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Choosing fantasy over reality is the definition of delusion. If your god is real, you may not be delusional...but otherwise, in fact you are.

The distinction between a delusional mentally ill person and a person that practices a religion based on fantasy is that one of those people has a good reason to be delusional.

Is Christianity a delusion? From my perspective, yes...but I am not the final arbiter of these things. I could be wrong.

So, why "does" one choose the Fantasy of evolution, in the beginning was nothing over the Fact of In the beginning,God.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Yeah, I'm out there.

One thing I'd like to make clear: I support other people's right to engage in fantasy...but not violence based on fantasy.

Wow, atheists have never killed any one.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, why "does" one choose the Fantasy of evolution, in the beginning was nothing over the Fact of In the beginning,God.

I have written nothing about the origin of the universe, but evolution explains the development of organic species...not their origins. As to why I choose to believe it? I trust the evidence. There is no evidence for your god.

Wow, atheists have never killed any one.

I haven't.

Top Bottom