• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Got off work early today and rushed to Elmores to check out there 1911 selection. I was told they have a huge selection of 1911's. They close at 6:00pm. I got there at 5:50pm. They already had all the guns cleared out of the glass cabinets and in the safe. They imediatley asked me what I was looking for. I said a high quality 1911 with a 3 or 4 inch barrel. Guy working the counter told me they for sure had some 1911's that would fit what I was looking for. But I would have to come back another day because all the guns were in the safe and he wasn't going to pull them back out of the safe for me. Why list your hours of operation to 6:00pm and have all your guns put away in the safe when your still opened for business? Big waste of my time and my $4 a gallon gas. :xmad:

My question would be: Were you going to make up your mind and buy the pistol in 10 minutes?

Don't get me wrong, I completley understand customer service and going the extra mile to take care of the people that keep your doors open. I've also worked in retail as does my wife and have countless stories of people coming in just before closing and want to spend an hour looking around only to leave without buying anything. The people that stay to help may or may not get paid anything extra to stay and help thus costing them money.

As an example, my wife is a pharmacist and is paid hourly. Her pharmacy closes at 10:00 and she does not get paid past 10:00 even if she stays an extra hour which she routinely does. It is the norm for people to bring in prescriptions at 9:55 that they have had for several days and tell her they need them now. We estimate that she has worked close to 150 hours a year taking care of these inconsiderate people without getting paid for it. That adds up to a lot more than $4.00 a gallon for gas.

My point is that there are two sides to every story. I have no dog in the fight regarding Elmore's.

Last edited:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Maybe. Depends on if i seen something i couldn't resist. I went in there with every intention on spending up to $1500 on a gun.
    paperwork, collecting money etc... after you've made up your mind is going to take more than 10 minutes. The people behind the counter have lives too and they probably wanted or needed to go home on time. :dunno:

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    paperwork, collecting money etc... after you've made up your mind is going to take more than 10 minutes. The people behind the counter have lives too and they probably wanted or needed to go home on time. :dunno:

They had everything packed up and in the safe 10 minutes before closing time. Sounds like they wanted to go home early.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    If I ran a grocery store and 10 minutes til close, someone walked in saying, "I won't be long, I know what I need"... Sure, no issues.

But I have to admit, there are certain purchases in this economy that should NOT be rushed... A firearm is one of those.

No offense to the OP, because as long as I've worked in a very highly demanded retail, I'll go above and beyond my expectations to take care of someone.

At the same token, if it's nearly last call and the potential consumer has not a clue what they specifically wanted to buy, I encourage coming back with an incentive such as a discount on ammo/accessories or something along those lines.

I'm both a consumer and in sales and I truly know what it's like to be on both sides of the fence here, so I can't knock the OP for feeling the way he does.

And to chime in with my own feedback, Round 1 purchase with Elmore's was good - Nothing great, but definitely good service.
    Round 2 (just a few months ago), I had some of the best service I've ever had and got a great deal "bundling" out my accessories for cheaper, too.

They aren't bad guys' there, just may have caught one of them on a day that they really needed to get out of there on time.

Jeff

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    You must not work in the customer service business. To be successful with customer service you must have a great attitude, give 100% effort into taking care of the customer, and be 100% consistent with each and every customer.

Actually I work in customer service and I deal with people like you everyday. You seem like the type that will always find something to complain about no matter how good the service is. You also seem like the type that blames all your problems on everyone else. You arrived ten minutes before close. So what they were putting their stuff up. Get over it. If it was my store and you walked out *****ing I would have said good riddance to ya. :twocents:

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    :rolleyes:
    I just looked at the first 5 pages and saw nothing to back your story up.

They were there, they have since been removed as they should be. Mods can't read every thread and rely to some extent on us to report those posts that are in violation of the rules. Once they were reported, they were removed.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    They had everything packed up and in the safe 10 minutes before closing time. Sounds like they wanted to go home early.
    were the doors still open? still unlocked? do they sell just guns? do they pack EVERYTHING in the store up at night? there was NOTHING to look at? no holsters, ammo, etc, etc?

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Actually I work in customer service and I deal with people like you everyday. You seem like the type that will always find something to complain about no matter how good the service is. You also seem like the type that blames all your problems on everyone else. You arrived ten minutes before close. So what they were putting their stuff up. Get over it. If it was my store and you walked out *****ing I would have said good riddance to ya. :twocents:

If you're really in customer service and that's really your attitude, then you'll only see me once.

I'd like to work in a business where I had so many customers that I didn't care if I pissed someone off.

If they have to leave at 6, then "closing time" should be 5:30.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    My question would be: Were you going to make up your mind and buy the pistol in 10 minutes?

Don't get me wrong, I completley understand customer service and going the extra mile to take care of the people that keep your doors open. I've also worked in retail as does my wife and have countless stories of people coming in just before closing and want to spend an hour looking around only to leave without buying anything. The people that stay to help may or may not get paid anything extra to stay and help thus costing them money.

As an example, my wife is a pharmacist and is paid hourly. Her pharmacy closes at 10:00 and she does not get paid past 10:00 even if she stays an extra hour which she routinely does. It is the norm for people to bring in prescriptions at 9:55 that they have had for several days and tell her they need them now. We estimate that she has worked close to 150 hours a year taking care of these inconsiderate people without getting paid for it. That adds up to a lot more than $4.00 a gallon for gas.

My point is that there are two sides to every story. I have no dog in the fight regarding Elmore's.

I'll just say that I work part at a gun shop, and the doors are open and all guns are on display and available for sale until closing time. If a customer comes in at 6:59 (we close at 7:00) , and wants to see a gun or two, we are happy to show or sell it to them, even if it takes an extra 10-15 minutes, or even more!
    Just because the store closes at 7:00 doesn't necessarily mean that employees ( or owners) are off the clock! We have other things to do AFTER closing the doors!
    I had a guy call a few days ago, asked what time we close, asked if we had a specific brand and caliber gun, and asked if he made it there before we closed, If he would still have time to buy one. We told him, get here by 7:00 and your good! He made it in by about 6;55, picked out the gun he wanted, I rang him up, we called in the 4473, and made the sale!
    I guess we could have told him ... No, try us when we have more time! But instead, we took an extra 10 minutes of our precious time, and made an over $600 sale for the store, AND A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!!! WIN-WIN!!!:rockwoot:

Of course, if someone is just browsing, we may ask if they are interested in anything, and let them know that it's closing time, but by NO means are we going to push them out the door just because it's 7:01!!!

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If you're really in customer service and that's really your attitude, then you'll only see me once.

I'd like to work in a business where I had so many customers that I didn't care if I pissed someone off.

If they have to leave at 6, then "closing time" should be 5:30.

Well said. For example my work closes at 9pm. But we schedule everyone till 9:30pm.

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    Stopped going there after watching them treat other customers like **** then laughing about them as they walked out. Courteous service is not one of their strong points.
    That was my experience as well. I won't be stopping in again.

And for those saying the transaction couldn't be completed in 10 mins adn the employees have lives, leave by six, etc.....Then list your hours as 5:00pm instead of 6:00.

I've worked retail. Any customer in the shop prior to closing was given full service for as long as they needed it. If that meant some of us stayed on a little extra, so be it. We did all we could to serve the customer.

The folks at Elmore's could have pulled out a bunch of 1911s to show the OP and this thread would be a whole lot different and a lot more effective.

My experience is that they are not customer focused, period.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I'll just say that I work part at a gun shop, and the doors are open and all guns are on display and available for sale until closing time. If a customer comes in at 6:59 (we close at 7:00) , and wants to see a gun or two, we are happy to show or sell it to them, even if it takes an extra 10-15 minutes, or even more!
    Just because the store closes at 7:00 doesn't necessarily mean that employees ( or owners) are off the clock! We have other things to do AFTER closing the doors!
    I had a guy call a few days ago, asked what time we close, asked if we had a specific brand and caliber gun, and asked if he made it there before we closed, If he would still have time to buy one. We told him, get here by 7:00 and your good! He made it in by about 6;55, picked out the gun he wanted, I rang him up, we called in the 4473, and made the sale!
    I guess we could have told him ... No, try us when we have more time! But instead, we took an extra 10 minutes of our precious time, and made an over $600 sale for the store, AND A HAPPY CUSTOMER!!!!! WIN-WIN!!!:rockwoot:

Of course, if someone is just browsing, we may ask if they are interested in anything, and let them know that it's closing time, but by NO means are we going to push them out the door just because it's 7:01!!!

I own a gun shop so I know exactly what you are saying. I have been late to many of my sons events because someone came in at the last minute and wanted a gun, we stayed with smiles on our faces and never complained. We pack everything up in the safe at night also, so I know how time consuming it is. I also know it protected us when the thieves crashed a car through our building last month.

My point is sometimes we have to close on time. We would have asked what they were looking for and drug the boxes out and shown him, despite the time. I understand Elmores not doing it though. There is 2 sides to this, OP side and Elmores side.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Please let us know where you work so we don't have to deal with you and your horrible customer service. One bad customer service expierence will make or break the chance of a repete customer.

That was my experience as well. I won't be stopping in again.

And for those saying the transaction couldn't be completed in 10 mins adn the employees have lives, leave by six, etc.....Then list your hours as 5:00pm instead of 6:00.

I've worked retail. Any customer in the shop prior to closing was given full service for as long as they needed it. If that meant some of us stayed on a little extra, so be it. We did all we could to serve the customer.

The folks at Elmore's could have pulled out a bunch of 1911s to show the OP and this thread would be a whole lot different and a lot more effective.

My experience is that they are not customer focused, period.
    All he had to do was pull out some guns and show them to me and this thread would be a big +1 to them for giving great service. Even if i didnt buy a gun from them atleast they showed effort.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I own a gun shop so I know exactly what you are saying. I have been late to many of my sons events because someone came in at the last minute and wanted a gun, we stayed with smiles on our faces and never complained. We pack everything up in the safe at night also, so I know how time consuming it is. I also know it protected us when the thieves crashed a car through our building last month.

My point is sometimes we have to close on time. We would have asked what they were looking for and drug the boxes out and shown him, despite the time. I understand Elmores not doing it though. There is 2 sides to this, OP side and Elmores side.

I understand completely! I assume though, that your guns are on display until closing time, and then you allow time to clean up and put away, right?

And sorry to hear about your break in! Are the details anywhere else to read ? I hadn't heard about it.

Top Bottom