• ...and so much more!
  • windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    All leads back to bad customer service.

Believe me I will. Bradis or Plainfield Shooting Supplies will be getting my money. Those shops always take care of my gun needs and apprieciate me as a return customer.

To be fair will you also show up at those shops 10 minutes until close? I know if I personally show up somewhere 10 minutes to close I am not seriously shopping for a gun. I might buy ammo or parts that way but not something as expensive as a gun unless I know exactly what I want because I have already been drooling over it on previous trips. :)

Obviously they are making enough money to be happy with how they run their shop, and they are not willing to stay open past the listed hours to make a few more sales. I get that and if I know that about a store I plan accordingly. Most of these shops are small family run businesses so I understand that family time might be important to them.

Jake46184

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Indianapoils
    The subject of Elmore's has come up several times on here. There's no arguing that they have the best selection in town. You can usually also get the best deal on a high-end firearm there compared to anyone else in town (most others in the Indy area don't even carry a lot of the higher-end brands you can get at Elmore's.) If you have money, and want something better than is typically available in our blue-collar demographic, Elmore's is the place to go.

However.....if you're expecting to be treated like you're important, like you are a valued customer, Elmore's is NOT, and has never been, the place for you. It is 100% a man's gun shop....a place for thick skin and an understanding of what it means to be a man. If that's not what you seek, avoid Elmore's. The concept of "friendly" customer service doesn't exist there and likely never will. I'd also suggest avoiding them if you don't already have a good understanding of the firearm in which you are interested. They tend to have little patience with ignorant buyers. They have even less patience with attitude; check yours at the door.

I like the place because I can readily see the type of guns I want to buy. If I wanted to see Taurus, Kel-Tec, etc., I could go anywhere. Elmore's is the only place in town to see the higher-end Sig's HK's Beretta's, etc., in stock. You just have to be willing to accept the bad with the good if you're going to go there.

Last edited:

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    I understand the frustration. I get off at 5, takes 40 minutes to get there from downtown normally. Then you've got less then 20 minutes to look around. The store closing at 6PM all but eliminates my ability to go here even if I want to. If the pack up earlier than that, it's a complete waste of time. I'm sure their hours work for a lot of people or they wouldn't be in business anymore though.

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    However.....if you're expecting to be treated like you're important, like you are a valued customer, Elmore's is NOT, and has never been, the place for you. It is 100% a man's gun shop....a place for thick skin and an understanding of what it means to be a man. If that's not what you seek, avoid Elmore's. The concept of "friendly" customer service doesn't exist there and likely never will. I'd also suggest avoiding them if you don't already have a good understanding of the firearm in which you are interested. They tend to have little patience with ignorant buyers. They have even less patience with attitude; check yours at the door.

Being "manly" has nothing to do with being rude or an ass.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    Being "manly" has nothing to do with being rude or an ass.

Certainly has something to with getting your panties in a bunch and getting your feelings hurt, though. Elmore's isn't for everyone, for sure, but they don't seem to be hurting for customers. Remember the soup nazi on Seinfeld?

There's a balance, somewhere. Some customers have this chip on their shoulder, "I'm the CUSTOMER, you should bend over backward and put your life and plans on hold for me..." Your choice, of course, but I think it sets you up for a lot of frustration and (*). Go there, b**** about the store. Come here, b**** about unfair way the mods are running the place. Seems like a trend, to me, but I'm not in customer service.

Ted

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2012
    Just now waiting for someone to b**** about the tobacco smoke there.....as well as if anyone really expects that some state law will stop it.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I understand completely! I assume though, that your guns are on display until closing time, and then you allow time to clean up and put away, right?

And sorry to hear about your break in! Are the details anywhere else to read ? I hadn't heard about it.

If I have to run right at 6 or shortly after is the only time we pack up early, leaving handguns until about 5 minutes of 6. Like I said though, we'll pull them out if someone comes in before 6 and wants to see something.

Thank You and no the details are not where I can post a link. We were fortunate that non of the news stations found about it, thus we had no news coverage which is exactly what we wanted.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Being a customer service professional and understanding the true ins and outs of going above and beyond...

I'm still always more than happy to go to Elmore's.

Jake46184 really did clarify what I've wanted to say, in better words. (Rep inbound!) :rockwoot:

It's much like buying a car as in going to a gun shop.
    They all perform the same service/function, but some cars/places just aren't friendly to everyone or are ideal for.
    Elmore's is a gun shop that I KNOW I can go to when I want blunt, straight-forward info without beating around the bush.
    It might rub someone the wrong way, but that's just the nature of the business.

They may come off as "hard" to many, but the truth of it is, they have a great group of guys there that really know their stuff.

I understand that first experience is everything, but I say give them another try. They're good guys with good selection and have sold me
    firearms at prices that I haven't even seen cheaper online... (True story!)

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Being a customer service professional and understanding the true ins and outs of going above and beyond...

I'm still always more than happy to go to Elmore's.

Jake46184 really did clarify what I've wanted to say, in better words. (Rep inbound!) :rockwoot:

It's much like buying a car as in going to a gun shop.
    They all perform the same service/function, but some cars/places just aren't friendly to everyone or are ideal for.
    Elmore's is a gun shop that I KNOW I can go to when I want blunt, straight-forward info without beating around the bush.
    It might rub someone the wrong way, but that's just the nature of the business.

They may come off as "hard" to many, but the truth of it is, they have a great group of guys there that really know their stuff.

I understand that first experience is everything, but I say give them another try. They're good guys with good selection and have sold me
    firearms at prices that I haven't even seen cheaper online... (True story!)

I completely agree.

If your idea of customer service is having someone kiss your butt while blowing sunshine up it in the hopes of making a sale, go elsewhere.

If you want an honest opinion on what you are considering buying with a high end inventory, then go there. Do not expect to be coddled, do not expect it to be a PC or smoke free environment. In fact, expect it to be rather blue, both smoke and language-wise.

It is just how the place works, they are not there to convince you to buy anything and they are not what we now call "salesmen". They will give you a honest answer to your questions and have no worries about hurting anyone's feelings.

I once saw an old guy bring in a really cherry Winchester Model 12 wanting to sell it. When asked what he wanted out of it, he was way below the value. Russ told him the only way he would buy it was if he added $200 to the asking price because he couldn't see his way clear to take advantage of the guy.

Most 'salesmen' would have been all over the old guy like it was their job. Russ paid him more than he asked and still made a good deal.

I'll take that kind of customer service over the butt-kissing that many seem to prefer.

Best,

Joe

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i bet the OP is one of those guys who rolls into a restaurant to sit down and eat 10 minutes before the posted closing time and then complains about being rushed.

Some of you guys act like the shop will never open again and that those 10 minutes represented your only chance of ever buying another gun. Sheesh. Just go back the next day.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I like the place because I can readily see the type of guns I want to buy. If I wanted to see Taurus, Kel-Tec, etc., I could go anywhere. Elmore's is the only place in town to see the higher-end Sig's HK's Beretta's, etc., in stock. You just have to be willing to accept the bad with the good if you're going to go there.

Elmore's is the only place I could find my Sig p226 Elite. Nobody else even had a p226, much less the dark elite. I got a heck of a deal on it too, and I didn't feel mistreated.

Even if I leave and they snicker about me, I don't really care. I got in, got what I wanted, and got out. :) The first time I went there and picked up my XDm I did ask a lot of questions so I'm sure they probably did chuckle at me as I left - not upset about it - glad I could be entertaining :).

Airborne33

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 18, 2010
    Colorado SPrings
    They do have a good selection. I went around to more than a few gunshops trying to find a Remington 870 Tactical. Finally decided to give them a second chance, and they had a few in stock and gave me a good deal. They might not go out of their way for your buisness, but they have a great selection you can't find in most places.

cerebus85

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Mar 5, 2012
    I can see both sides of this whole issue. It seems like a gun shop persona at times. It's an unfortunate but it happens. and yes Elmore's has done it to me as well in the middle of the day no less!lol! I went in looking for a nice ar-15. (spikes tactical) . But guy behind the counter tried to tell me i was wrong, and i would be just fine with a dpms or a bushmaster. And I'm not saying they are not fine weapons but I just wanted to spend my money on something different. This guy did nothing but belittle my decision, Now i dont know if it was because i was a shirt and tie type and not the 5.11 tacticool type like him or what but to be overtly rude is well rude. that being said the other guys where fairly social to be around.
    btw i can be tacticool too but i came from work.
    Anyway moral of the story is its ulitimately up to you as a consumer what you wanna do. only consumerism can change a business...thats why the cash stayed in the pocket.

jeff242

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2012
    I went to Bradis last friday to ask some questions and I got there 10 minutes before closing. Place was packed. They did start clearing people out at closing but they were nice enough to let me stay and keep learning for another 10 or 15 minutes after they closed. I didn't buy anything then (and I told them I wasn't going to buy anything yet), but the positive experience led me back there 48 hours later and I did buy. Nothing but good things to say about my experience there.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I can see both sides of this whole issue. It seems like a gun shop persona at times. It's an unfortunate but it happens. and yes Elmore's has done it to me as well in the middle of the day no less!lol! I went in looking for a nice ar-15. (spikes tactical) . But guy behind the counter tried to tell me i was wrong, and i would be just fine with a dpms or a bushmaster. And I'm not saying they are not fine weapons but I just wanted to spend my money on something different. This guy did nothing but belittle my decision, Now i dont know if it was because i was a shirt and tie type and not the 5.11 tacticool type like him or what but to be overtly rude is well rude. that being said the other guys where fairly social to be around.
    btw i can be tacticool too but i came from work.
    Anyway moral of the story is its ulitimately up to you as a consumer what you wanna do. only consumerism can change a business...thats why the cash stayed in the pocket.
    Yea i was in my work uniform when i went in there. Plus i look really young. Maybe Russ didnt take me serious when i came in there. I look young. "I look like im 16 years old when i shave all my facial hair.lol" Maybe ill give Elmores another try tomorrow. I know they have a huge selection of high quality 1911's. And I want to buy one.

I went to Bradis last friday to ask some questions and I got there 10 minutes before closing. Place was packed. They did start clearing people out at closing but they were nice enough to let me stay and keep learning for another 10 or 15 minutes after they closed. I didn't buy anything then (and I told them I wasn't going to buy anything yet), but the positive experience led me back there 48 hours later and I did buy. Nothing but good things to say about my experience there.
    Thats Bradis for you man. I was in there last week and Mark was helping 5 customers at the same time. That place is always packed. They will always make you feel at home and treat you good. Doesnt matter if you are buying a gun or just browsing.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The subject of Elmore's has come up several times on here. There's no arguing that they have the best selection in town. You can usually also get the best deal on a high-end firearm there compared to anyone else in town (most others in the Indy area don't even carry a lot of the higher-end brands you can get at Elmore's.) If you have money, and want something better than is typically available in our blue-collar demographic, Elmore's is the place to go.

Sorry, but dealing with "ignorant buyers" should be an opportunity for a gun shop, not a cause for ridicule.

I don't expect to be greeted like a long-lost relative, but ignoring a potential customer while talking with the "good ole boys" who are chewing their cud is just plain bad business.

The one time I went to Elmore's, I was looking for a tuckable holster. The guy who tried to help me didn't know what "tuckable" meant.

Top Bottom