• Status
    Not open for further replies.

300sx

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    ss of indy
    i do agree that they need to call in everyone that they send out the door with a gun.. if they are breaking the law i hope justice is served..Is there anyway around this though by saying they sold the gun on some sort of consignment deal for a friend? I was told by a gun shop one time they would sell me this pistol, some guy brought in to sell and they havent put it on the books yet.. they said cash with no paperwork..and i believe he was an officer working there that told me this..

but i dont know laws and it seems like Indiana has a light law on transferring firearms from private sellers..:dunno:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    First, thanks for posting a legit question. I think the store has still screwed up by letting a person take a gun out the door without doing a check, even if it's a family member, the laws, like them or not, are there for a reason. If they call and say bring it back, what is the buyer's motivation to return it?

Not just letting him go out the door. IIRC, they aren't allowed to even sell him the gun without calling in first. IOW, if money changes hands without the call being made, the law has already been broken.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Not just letting him go out the door. IIRC, they aren't allowed to even sell him the gun without calling in first. IOW, if money changes hands without the call being made, the law has already been broken.

not quite... some places require money to change hands before the call is made, but possession cannot be granted until after a successful check.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    E5ranger and I had a private discussion and made nice. While I still believe he could have phrased his comment better, I no longer believe it was intended as a swipe and I want to apologize publicly for over-reacting. I also want to apologize to smitty for potentially derailing his thread.

Aw Gee, just when it was getting good!!!:evilangel::patriot:

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    :+1:

Think layaways, too. Money changes hands (up to and including paying in full) well before the background check is called in.

Shooter, not meaning to thread jack my own thread, but are you shooting Sunday? I think they should put all the saiga guys together as not to offend or scare the tube feeders:ar15:

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    136   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I have a question for the FFL's on here. I was to understand if you own a gun for more than a year it is considered from your personal collection and can be sold with out a background check.
    Did I hear wrong? Could this have been the case?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

The money can change hands and it still be legal. The law breaking starts once the gun leaves the shop BEFORE the check. So he can pay for every gun in the store, but the moment one leaves before the check is made, that's when the law is broken.

EDIT: Yeah, What all them said. Dang you guys are on it. :):

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I have a question for the FFL's on here. I was to understand if you own a gun for more than a year it is considered from your personal collection and can be sold with out a background check.

I am NOT a ffl holder but I know this to be true. I have purchased a gun from a ffl's personal collection without the paperwork. I don't know if the law is different for a store vs someone who does transfers.

Last edited by a moderator:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN

i asked specifically about this in my interview with the atf, and she told me that if it was a private gun, i had to log it into my ffl, and transfer it that way. and thats the way i continue to operate. i am pretty sure that once you are an FFL anygun that you sell to an individual must go through the FFL

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    i asked specifically about this in my interview with the atf, and she told me that if it was a private gun, i had to log it into my ffl, and transfer it that way. and thats the way i continue to operate. i am pretty sure that once you are an FFL anygun that you sell to an individual must go through the FFL

I was told the same exact thing by a guy who is an FFL. He said that if he wanted to have a gun for his personal collection then he had to log it and go through the process on himself just like if it was to a random customer. After the weapon is recorded and it is part of his collection then he can sell it to me in a personal one on one sale just like any of the rest of us.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    well said smitty12b. but i would like to say that i wouldnt have called the atf. for the simple reason that the atf already has WYATTS in cicero shut down from selling guns and i think the government should just keep out ofgun shops to a certain degree. secondly elmores was probably busy and ranger was a repeat cust. and they were in the 'zone' on trying to sell more guns.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    well said smitty12b. but i would like to say that i wouldnt have called the atf. for the simple reason that the atf already has WYATTS in cicero shut down from selling guns and i think the government should just keep out ofgun shops to a certain degree. secondly elmores was probably busy and ranger was a repeat cust. and they were in the 'zone' on trying to sell more guns.

You forget:
    internet_serious_mf_business.jpg

boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    Personally, I would have thought having a discussion with the folks at Elmores should have been a first step in any of this drama. Give them an opportunity to explain themselves better. Explain to them that they can and WILL bring the wrath of the ATF down upon their own heads eventually, and that skirting the reg's will effectively screw over not just themselves but the gun community in the area when they get shut down. "Do it right or don't do it at all."

If you know back door deals or straw man purchases are going on (to the point of being provable), a discussion obviously won't do much. At that point... I do think the ATF should shut an FFL down. But right now all I am "hearing" is speculation and hearsay. I don't like seeing someone's name and reputation get trashed over pure gossip.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    Personally, I would have thought having a discussion with the folks at Elmores should have been a first step in any of this drama. Give them an opportunity to explain themselves better. Explain to them that they can and WILL bring the wrath of the ATF down upon their own heads eventually, and that skirting the reg's will effectively screw over not just themselves but the gun community in the area when they get shut down. "Do it right or don't do it at all."

If you know back door deals or straw man purchases are going on (to the point of being provable), a discussion obviously won't do much. At that point... I do think the ATF should shut an FFL down. But right now all I am "hearing" is speculation and hearsay. I don't like seeing someone's name and reputation get trashed over pure gossip.

:yesway::yesway::yesway::yesway:

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom