• ...and so much more!
  • X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    No.

Source: I worked at the east-side store in Bloomington years ago. There were cameras in the store... but they were in the locked office that was empty 70% of the time. I'd say staff stole more things than customers. Was a pretty poorly managed place.

is that the store that has junk that nobody wanted in bins scattered around the store? I went in there once and swear I needed a tetanus shot when I left.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    is that the store that has junk that nobody wanted in bins scattered around the store? I went in there once and swear I needed a tetanus shot when I left.

I'm not for sure. It was the east side Goodwill by Kroger. I always heard it was much nicer and better than the west side one, which I never visited.

The items we placed were actually quite nice, generally. It seemed we had wealthier door drop offs and donors than the other store. Of course we got huge boxes on the truck that was material collected/donated from elsewhere. Some of that stuff was awful. I'd dig through a box of dirty old shoes, find toys covered in mouse turds, or literal trash. We've found dead mice in boxes, a bag of what appeared to be someones attempt of cleaning out a refridgerator (milk jug, half full of rotten milk, sour cream containers, condiments, etc)... was awful.

Though one day I did put a pair of boots out in the store... and I kid you not about two hours later a manager walks back and asks me if I put them out on the floor. The code on the bottom was my handwriting so I said, "Yep, why?"... there was a REVOLVER shoved in the toe of these boots. A customer tried them on and found a gun in them... Obviously I didn't stick my hand inside every used pair of shoes that came in to the store to check for guns, spiders, dead mice, or whatever... but I missed my chance to go home with a free snub nose! Haha. Cops were called to retrieve the weapon. Interestingly enough, it's not the first time a gun has showed up in donations. Either someone dies and their family drops off their belongings without checking them, or people forget. I guess at one time there was a desk put out on the floor, no one opened all the drawers before putting it out. Inside one of them... you guessed it... a gun!

I didn't do textiles but I was there when the textile ladies found a pretty decently sized bag of weed in someone's donated coat.

I only worked at Goodwill for like 6 months when I was in Bloomington. I'm sure someone who has been there for years could fill a book of crazy **** they've found and interactions with some of the bizzare customers.

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I'm not for sure. It was the east side Goodwill by Kroger. I always heard it was much nicer and better than the west side one, which I never visited.

The items we placed were actually quite nice, generally. It seemed we had wealthier door drop offs and donors than the other store. Of course we got huge boxes on the truck that was material collected/donated from elsewhere. Some of that stuff was awful. I'd dig through a box of dirty old shoes, find toys covered in mouse turds, or literal trash. We've found dead mice in boxes, a bag of what appeared to be someones attempt of cleaning out a refridgerator (milk jug, half full of rotten milk, sour cream containers, condiments, etc)... was awful.

Though one day I did put a pair of boots out in the store... and I kid you not about two hours later a manager walks back and asks me if I put them out on the floor. The code on the bottom was my handwriting so I said, "Yep, why?"... there was a REVOLVER shoved in the toe of these boots. A customer tried them on and found a gun in them... Obviously I didn't stick my hand inside every used pair of shoes that came in to the store to check for guns, spiders, dead mice, or whatever... but I missed my chance to go home with a free snub nose! Haha. Cops were called to retrieve the weapon. Interestingly enough, it's not the first time a gun has showed up in donations. Either someone dies and their family drops off their belongings without checking them, or people forget. I guess at one time there was a desk put out on the floor, no one opened all the drawers before putting it out. Inside one of them... you guessed it... a gun!

I didn't do textiles but I was there when the textile ladies found a pretty decently sized bag of weed in someone's donated coat.

I only worked at Goodwill for like 6 months when I was in Bloomington. I'm sure someone who has been there for years could fill a book of crazy **** they've found and interactions with some of the bizzare customers.

my bad i AM thinking of the west washington one. My standards for goodwill are typically not high, but this one takes the cake for trashy

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Though one day I did put a pair of boots out in the store... and I kid you not about two hours later a manager walks back and asks me if I put them out on the floor. The code on the bottom was my handwriting so I said, "Yep, why?"... there was a REVOLVER shoved in the toe of these boots. A customer tried them on and found a gun in them... Obviously I didn't stick my hand inside every used pair of shoes that came in to the store to check for guns, spiders, dead mice, or whatever... but I missed my chance to go home with a free snub nose! Haha.

Yep, it does happen. This did not happen that long ago. Woman Dies After Gun Found In Sock Donated At Chicago Thrift Store Accidentally Fires

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    Guns make people nervous. I wonder what would happen if I walked in there with my $5 Harbor Freight machete hanging from my belt (if I wore a belt). Did I mention guns make people nervous?

pearlman1966

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    Where would one obtain one of these 19th century carry pieces? I don't think they are traditionally offered in the case at the LGS.

Highsmith in Greenfield had a LeMat Revolver and Bite the Bullet in Seymour had a Colt the last time I was there.
    I have purchased a Remington and a Colt from other INGO members.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Gotta respect you for being willing to go the cap and ball route on principle.
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking!! Ltch is bull ****! Yeah I sold out and have one. Hopefully we get that changes in next years legislative session if we can get the "public servants" (HA!) to do what's right by their oath.
    shame on the store manager! I bet it's not a corporate policy but if it is I'll add them to my boycott list. I've noticed several new "no firearms" signs on businesses lately. I CC anyways but if I'm ever asked to leave ill file a complaint and depending on the answer I'll never go back.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I'm wondering if the OP or wife completed the purchase or explained to the manager why they weren't making a purchase.

I'm guessing they went ahead and gave them the business.............. I would have left at that very second.

see here............ \/

..........I switched kids with mom taking the one who finished their business and told mom I couldn't wait a minute for her that at this point I needed to leave the store and I would take the child I head out and wait for her as we were just wrapping up anyway. .................

......... The missus got her name on the reciept and the one the general manager was speaking with...............

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like Goodwill doesn't have much goofd will... :rofl:

IMO, this is why we should push for rewording legislation, as these places are NOT 'private property'. They're 'places of public access'. Businesses seek customers, and are 'open to the public'. Therefore, they are 'public places', and should be required to follow the same 'no pre-emption' law that cities and towns are required to follow. Namely, that if they are a business that is open to the public, as opposed to a 'members only' facility, they cannot have some 'rule' that prohibits you accessing that business while acting in a lawful manner, i.e. carrying a firearm.
    If it turns out to be a corporate policy, I'm more than happy to boycott their company and donate to some other place. Doesn't matter to me who gets the $$$.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.

Yikes.

Since I know people can just drop things off randomly overnight, or even through the drive-thru without signing anything it seems like a good source to get rid of 'hot' items. Probably explains why some guns end up being donated. (Or grandpa died, and kept a little snub nose in that old pair of boots in the closet you just donated to Goodwill)

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    Yup, we went ahead with the purchase. I needed a polo shirt for a gospel singing contest today. I'm in a 5 man singing group at my church and wasn't sure of the one polo I had at home as I am usually a long sleeve button up kinda guy. We didn't too bad, we won 1500.00 for our church today!

I got the navy from a ftf deal for 100.00 with some balls and 3/4 of a pound of pyrodex. Couldn't pass it up, but if we ever go to constitutional carry I have a 1911 I'd carry instead. Or in addition too, I don't know, lol. If I ever find a deal like that on a Lemat I'm gonna be all over it. Nine .44 shots AND a 20 gauge follow up? What's not to love. I just am not gonna lay out 800 to a grand for one.

This event transpired at the Madison Goodwill, and there is no "No Firearms" signage at the door. I guess we're waiting till Monday for the callback now.

The whole "it could make other people uncomfortable" thing isn't sitting well with me. What if the someone complained that any particular ethnicity or minority or g/l/b/t couple or person was in the store and making them uncomfortable? would they be asked to leave? I HIGHLY doubt it.

But me exercising a right enshrined in both the Federal Constitution and the Indiana Constitution gets me denigrated and treated like a second class citizen "Sorry sir don't allow dogs, pets, or legal law abiding armed citizens in here, you'll have to go outside." He didn't even offer to loan me a blazer or shirt to cover up with while I finished shopping, I was most explicitly asked to leave the store.

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana
    He didn't even offer to loan me a blazer or shirt to cover up with while I finished shopping, I was most explicitly asked to leave the store.

Most OCers don't cover when asked and choose to leave so perhaps he anticipated this. Also his concern sounded like it was the (non)firearm, not that it was in view.

Top Bottom