• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Is that store particularly better? In terms of higher quality clothes for cheap? I'll make that trip. I'm wearing a $5 pair of cargo shorts right now that I bought from Goodwill a year ago.

It has been my overwhelming experience that, yes, it is much better. Like all Goodwill stores it is always a crap shoot though. BTW, I just realized the official "Carmel" GW store is not the one I'm referring to. The one that is technically in Westfield (NW corner of 146th and Hwy 31) is the one I'm referring to. You really need to know how to get there before you just head out though. It is in the middle of a bunch of construction and requires local knowledge of current access routes at the moment.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yup, we went ahead with the purchase. I needed a polo shirt for a gospel singing contest today. I'm in a 5 man singing group at my church and wasn't sure of the one polo I had at home as I am usually a long sleeve button up kinda guy. We didn't too bad, we won 1500.00 for our church today!

I got the navy from a ftf deal for 100.00 with some balls and 3/4 of a pound of pyrodex. Couldn't pass it up, but if we ever go to constitutional carry I have a 1911 I'd carry instead. Or in addition too, I don't know, lol. If I ever find a deal like that on a Lemat I'm gonna be all over it. Nine .44 shots AND a 20 gauge follow up? What's not to love. I just am not gonna lay out 800 to a grand for one.

This event transpired at the Madison Goodwill, and there is no "No Firearms" signage at the door. I guess we're waiting till Monday for the callback now.

The whole "it could make other people uncomfortable" thing isn't sitting well with me. What if the someone complained that any particular ethnicity or minority or g/l/b/t couple or person was in the store and making them uncomfortable? would they be asked to leave? I HIGHLY doubt it.

But me exercising a right enshrined in both the Federal Constitution and the Indiana Constitution gets me denigrated and treated like a second class citizen "Sorry sir don't allow dogs, pets, or legal law abiding armed citizens in here, you'll have to go outside." He didn't even offer to loan me a blazer or shirt to cover up with while I finished shopping, I was most explicitly asked to leave the store.

I get where you are coming from, being on our side of the fence, but basically, you stated that there is a No Firearms sign at the door, you chose to go in and give them your business, and you didn't expect them to request you leave? 2nd Amendment pertains to the govt infringing, not private business.

Basically it is your right to carry, and their right to request you to leave, and your right to let them understand your stance on this by not spending money there.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I get where you are coming from, being on our side of the fence, but basically, you stated that there is a No Firearms sign at the door, you chose to go in and give them your business, and you didn't expect them to request you leave? 2nd Amendment pertains to the govt infringing, not private business.

Basically it is your right to carry, and their right to request you to leave, and your right to let them understand your stance on this by not spending money there.

I think you misread his post. There apparently is no sign.

This event transpired at the Madison Goodwill, and there is no "No Firearms" signage at the door.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Carmel goodwill definitely has nicer clothes than most. There's 1 at carmel drive and keystone and another at 151st and us31. I have personally witnessed a limo pull up and drop off donations. Countless bmw, Mercedes, Cadillacs, and hummers all day long.
    I work across the street...don't assume I hang there daily.
    I had a pic of the limo but deleted it. :(

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    The Crown Point Goodwill has some decent stuff sometimes, but I have a problem paying $8-10 for some used jeans and $5 for a used t-shirt. The Gary Goodwill is an "outlet", and all of their clothes are $1.00, and shoes, purses, and belts are .50. On the weekends, it's half price of that.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have NOT seen a no firearms sign there.

Ah, gotcha, then yes, I agree 100% with pushing forward. It is one thing if it is posted and corporate policy, etc (which I'm not saying I agree with, just that they do have the ability to do it) vs a single manager indicating it is making people uncomfortable, etc. I also agree with raising both situations with the company, just that it would be different courses of action for those 2 situations.

Let us know what you find out.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Ok, is there a reason you carry a cap and ball revolver? ...............

I used to carry a matchlock pistol but that damn no smoking stuff kicked in and I can get closer than 8' from a building entrance now. :(

8675127_orig.jpg

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IMO, this is why we should push for rewording legislation, as these places are NOT 'private property'. They're 'places of public access'. Businesses seek customers, and are 'open to the public'. Therefore, they are 'public places', and should be required to follow the same 'no pre-emption' law that cities and towns are required to follow. Namely, that if they are a business that is open to the public, as opposed to a 'members only' facility, they cannot have some 'rule' that prohibits you accessing that business while acting in a lawful manner, i.e. carrying a firearm.
    :facepalm:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    GREAT NEWS!!!

The missus just got off the phone with the VP a very nice lady who informed her that Goodwill Southern Indiana has NO POLICY on firearms. She apologized repeatedly for the incident, said she is going to have a meeting with Jeff the General Manager and speak to him about this and wants to either schedule a store meeting to address this with all the employees or train jeff on their stance and have him train the other employees.

She said since they do not have a policy on that, he probably didn't know how to react if a customer complained or when it came to his attention and he must have "panicked" in his response. Corporate does not monitor the loss prevention cameras and he apparently was floundering to my questions. Again she apologized.

On top of this she offered us a 10.00 credit at the store, and said that they value all their customers and will be sending us an email (on our request) that we can print out and carry with us in case this comes up or happens again.

+1 to Miss Sonja Showels (sp?) and +1 for Goodwill respecting our Rights!!!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    my bad i AM thinking of the west washington one. My standards for goodwill are typically not high, but this one takes the cake for trashy

You are thinking of Goodwill Outlet...all the stuff that doesn't sell at other area Goodwill stores. Product there is sold by weight ($.79 / lb when last I visited).

It takes digging, and I'd suggest gloves, but I have found quite unbelievable deals that made it well worth my time.

I've seen OC there on several occasions and never noticed anyone being asked to leave or cover.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Yikes.

Since I know people can just drop things off randomly overnight, or even through the drive-thru without signing anything it seems like a good source to get rid of 'hot' items. Probably explains why some guns end up being donated. (Or grandpa died, and kept a little snub nose in that old pair of boots in the closet you just donated to Goodwill)

According to their signage, it is considered illegal dumping to drop things off after hours.

Also, I would bet the guns and other such items are the latter; unknown hidey holes being donated...as in the numerous cases per year where big cash (sometimes $10k plus) gets "donated" accidentally.

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    Once a week for two years, I would travel to the Goodwill off 96th/Hague Rd.
    I would buy golf clubs, bags, shoes, shirts, etc.
    I would then resell those items on ebay, craigslist, etc.
    I made thousands lol

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    GREAT NEWS!!!

The missus just got off the phone with the VP a very nice lady who informed her that Goodwill Southern Indiana has NO POLICY on firearms. She apologized repeatedly for the incident, said she is going to have a meeting with Jeff the General Manager and speak to him about this and wants to either schedule a store meeting to address this with all the employees or train jeff on their stance and have him train the other employees.

She said since they do not have a policy on that, he probably didn't know how to react if a customer complained or when it came to his attention and he must have "panicked" in his response. Corporate does not monitor the loss prevention cameras and he apparently was floundering to my questions. Again she apologized.

On top of this she offered us a 10.00 credit at the store, and said that they value all their customers and will be sending us an email (on our request) that we can print out and carry with us in case this comes up or happens again.

+1 to Miss Sonja Showels (sp?) and +1 for Goodwill respecting our Rights!!!
    Yeah for our side!!!
    glad you not only got a responds, but you got the right response!!! +1 for everyone!!

Top Bottom